2016 Superbowl Commercials [many embeds]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

How in the heck did anyone even come up with an ad like that? Notice the speakers in the background too.....little nod to the audiophile.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Lots of lip-syncing. But Lady Gaga was live.

Bender Rodriguez and mrjinks like this.
  3. My youngest son (10 years old) kept singing the refrain (including the half time part with the face licks in between) for about 30 minutes afterwards. We had to eventually MAKE him stop.

I was much more perturbed by him having to hear Peyton Manning's plug for Budweiser (twice!) just after the game. That was unbecoming of him in his last contest.

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Active NFL players aren't allowed to enter into endorsement contracts with alcoholic beverage companies, so he wasn't getting paid to mention Bud. However, he may well have been setting himself up for a fat post-retirement endorsement deal with AB InBev.

5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yeah, I wondered about that. If he had said he was going to go eat some Papa Johns pizza that'd be one thing, but maybe he just likes Budweiser.

6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I don't believe it. The guy has a smart as hell business crew. And he's literally worth half a billion dollars. He knew exactly what he was doing.

guppy270 likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And here's Janelle Monae for Pepsi with the Isley Brothers' "Do You Love Me" and Madonna's "Express Yourself":

8. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Forget PuppyBabyMonkey, the Xifaxan claymation takes the weird prize. I can't believe I'm saying this but it was actually kinda cute, in a Sesame Street way.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Celestion F20 speaker was the only thing I remember out of all those Super Bowl TV ads.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

For the 1st time in many years, Anheuser-Busch did not produce a commercial with dogs and/or Clydesdale's that tugged heavily at out heartstrings. That left me feeling a major void when it was all over.

Overall, a very disappointing stream of commercials in a year that pointed out the fact that this event is one of the last one's left where everyone is watching real-time on (mostly) television sets of some sort. All gathered in a room with other human beings and actually reacting and COMMUNICATING with each other vocally instead of via an electronic device. (That is unless one was off in the corner of the room tweeting away like crazy while the game was on and not speaking with anyone.)

Mark Nelson and guppy270 like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I can give people the bene fit of the doubt, but Peyton said it verbatim twice - post game interview on the field, then on the podium during the trophy ceremony. It was weird.

guppy270 likes this.
  12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The weirdest part was the second time he just said, "beer", then went back and added Budweiser like he just remembered he had to say it. I'm sure there was a reason. Maybe he was prepped to come across as a regular guy. Great night for him anyway.

lightbulb and guppy270 like this.
  13. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Yeah, Puppy Monkey Baby or whatever, was trying SO HARD to be "edgy" that it hurt. The "dance" at the end just compounded it. And after the game, everyone I talked to remembered it...but nobody could remember what product the ad was for.

mmars982 likes this.
  14. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Another year of crappy commercials. At least their weren't any blatant tear-jerkers like last year, which was a total bring down.

I did enjoy looking at Amy Schumer, however. :love:

15. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

So I think the Dorito Dogs commercial won the Doritos contest. What's great about that commercial is that it was filmed in Redlands, CA at a really cool, local independent supermarket I frequented when I lived in Redlands from 2012 to 2014.

16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yes, it won. The Ultrasound one was the runner-up I guess. There was a third one in the running that didn't get aired. I saw it earlier in the day on the NFL network - had the actress who played the mother in Everybody Loves Raymond, which was a surprise. I don't think the fan-made Doritos commercials have ever had a celebrity before. But it wasn't as funny as these two.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

That's the one I liked!

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I thought the Audi commercial was the only one that really worked well. It looked fantastic, too - very authentic color. What was with color film in the late '60s and early '70s, anyhow? Why did the high-quality stuff all sport that slight blue-green tint? Was it technology or a trend?

Dan C likes this.
  19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

This one was my other fav'. I was rooting on a spontaneous birth and for the baby to look like Batboy from the Weekly World News.

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

My favorite was the one for Colonial Williamsburg that used footage of the collapsing World Trade Center on 9/11. :rolleyes::hurl:

http://wapo.st/1Q4sy8k

21. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Peyton owns a couple of Budweiser Beer Distributorships in Louisiana. So product placement yeah but he wasn't necessarily setting himself up for something in retirement.

junk and mmars982 like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oh, also the casting for that Audi commercial was incredible. I totally bought the young/old astronaut were the same guy, and his son was perfectly cast as well.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. MisterH

MisterH Forum Resident

Apparently, from what I've read, Peyton has a stake in at least one Budweiser distributor so that may be the reason he kept name dropping Bud.

junk likes this.
  24. It was gauche, to use a Louisiana-appropriate term.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The ad from Apartments.com ended up being my favorite. It's silly but fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.