2017 4k tv recommendations, hdr10 + Dolby vision

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Eric B., Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member Thread Starter

My 2007 42 inch 768p lcd is getting old and small. Any recommendations around 55 inch, $1k-2k$ range. I prefer a brighter led over OLED because its a very bright living room. Dolby vision is a must so its Vidiot approved. Is 2017 too soon for HDR, if i have to wait for 2018 models I am willing. Or even get a 500$ 1080p model and wait for proper rec. 2020? Thanks in advance. And I will get an oppo uhd for the source.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You won't find much at the lower end of the price range if you want a UHD certified set. Even the upper bound is iffy. I'm talking about the major brands here. You can get something much cheaper, even less than $1k if you don't mind buying Chinese.

OLEDs are plenty bright these days, especially with a good AR filter on them and the true blacks help the colors pop. But you're not gonna find one under $2k.

I would say, yes, it is still early. The UHD spec is still fresh and the various competing HDR standards are still fighting it out. Also, not a great deal of source material available yet, though the streaming platforms are increasingly offering it. If it's not urgent, I'd wait a year...

Eric B. likes this.
  3. Eric B.

I am definitely open to a lesser brand name, I just want 'all the nits I can gets', especially if you have some in mind._ Viewing distance is 8 feet, is 55inch a good size for that by the way?

4. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Eric: Let me just point out that it wont be too long before the new mass produced TVs have the 4K OTA Tuner in them. The spec HAS been finalized (despite what you might read elsewhere) and TV stations are gearing up to broadcast in 4K.

I'm waiting for this before I spend a lot of $$$ on a big set. If you havent bought your set as of today, you *may* want to wait it out for the OTA 4ks.

Eric B. likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

2016 LG 55" OLEDs go for $1996 on Amazon - and can be found for $1750 or lower on eBay...

Vidiot and Maccaroni like this.
  7. Eric B.

Would the 4k OTA tuner be needed with cable tv, or only actual 'over the air' terrestrial broadcasts?

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, it's a different pathway.

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

No, just with OTA broadcasts. I'm one of those who "cut the cord, so that's meaningful to me.

10. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I have one such unit (although mine is the 65") namely a 2016 LG B6, and it is superb (including in the brightness stakes).

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure if the 65" B6s are under $2000 by now - I just bought a C6 and ignored the Bs because I wanted 3D! :)

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  12. Eric B.

So far I have comparing the LG b6, Sony 900e or 930e, and on the lower end Vizio P series. Not sure I like or trust Samsung.
    I watch football and do some gaming, as well as movies. If I see a b6 at a nice price, I wouldn't mind joining the OLED club, but the Sony's seem like a good 2nd choice. The cheaper 900e has f.a.l.d., but no dolby vision yet, but the 930e does have dolby vision, is brighter, but some edge lit dimming I dont prefer. The Vizio claims dolby vision, but at 600 nits, its not really SHOWING dolby vision, its just 'accepting a DV signal'.
    If there a comparable brands too look at, let me know. Thanks gentleman.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Edge lit displays simply can't do proper HDR, so if that's important to you, avoid.

14. Eric B.

Deesky, you seem to be an OLED type of guy, how would a LG b6 type tv handle fast motion sports and gaming compared to the sonys led? I definitely see why OLED is better for movies.

They seem to be pushing the 'extra special edge lit contraption' for the more expensive xbr930e, but it seems designed just to be SLIMMER. I try to buy A/V equipment like buying a muscle car, i want to spend $ on performance, not style, status, or ease of use.

I can over budget a little if needed, mostly looking for 'future-proof' over 'reference quality'. HDR10+ DV, Hybrid Log Gamma etc, would bother me if I bought that 2015 4k and had no hdr at all, but instead a curved screen and 3D glasses. Again thanks for the help.

15. Eric B.

... No offense intended to the 8 people that still like 3d on this forum...
    :laughup:

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not really rooting for any team, I'm just objectively evaluating whatever is available, or on the horizon. It's the technology that interests me.

WRT to motion handling, I cannot make a direct comparison as I haven't evaluated either model. What I can say, from what I've read, is that the Sony probably has the edge in motion handling because of Sony's excellent processing engine (especially top end models).

But we're still talking very subtle differences. Some people are more sensitive to the differences than others. I would still go for the B6 though because you can't beat true blacks.

Eric B. likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Actually, a lot of people like 3D...and a lot more, just have no idea that with OLED, it's gotten better. And it doesn't help that you have to go $1500 or higher to get the current version, which would certainly turn some heads of those who still weren't satisfied during the Plasma Era. And it doesn't help that cheaper 3D could have been had as the old sets phased out, had the manufacturers stopped mentioning the feature on the boxes, and in the literature used to school the salespersons about it. And it doesn't help that you just about have to accept a half-CGI'd Marvel superhero movie, or a totally CGI'd cartoon movie, or resurrected 1950's titles like Ron Furmarek is doing, in order to have something to watch on them.

One would be very satisfied with Scorsese's Hugo, Hertzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Zemekis' The Walk, And Lee's Life of Pi, or perhaps Peter Gabriel's New Blood, Live In London, without even having to approach one of those tentpole blockbusters to get their kicks in 3D. But we all know, it's all about Avatars and Pixar's and Transformers and minions for this gimmiky, expensive format. Cerebral filmmaking for adults? Hah - these people don't even want fake butter on their popcorn, back of the line, please.

Eric B. likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, no. 3D is no longer supported by any manufacturer, including the one that makes OLED panels (LG). What's more, 3D is not supported by the new UHD spec.

19. Eric B.

Yea, I truly didn't want to insult any 3D enthusiasts, I was joking referring to a previous post I saw where somebody mentioned "the 6 people that still watch",, and the next two posts were 'make that 7,', and 'make that 8, i Love 3D' .... I agree with the 3D movies you mentioned entirely.

20. Eric B.

This weekend I am gonna go compare the LG, Sony, and a quick look at Vizio. There is definitely something appealing to each and every pixel 'self-illuminating'.

Seems like what I would have imagined 2017 future tech to look like back in 1970's, with our tube tv with ultrasonic remote that changed channels at random high pitched sounds like car keys jingling etc. Good times tho.

:pineapple:

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's hard to compare across stores or even within a single store, especially given the exaggerated showroom tv settings, but what might help is if you bring your own video samples with you, on say a USB stick. At least you'll have the same material playing on every tv, if nothing else.

scobb, Eric B. and davidb1 like this.
  22. Hey thats cool you went with the C6. You are going to flip out when you see how great the 3D is. Its also neat that you can on 3D for anything the tv is displaying. So, movies that werent shot in 3D can get the 3D treatment. Hope you enjoy your TV.

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I'd get the 930E with your bright living room.

Eric B. likes this.
  24. Eric B.

And the winner is,,, Sony bravia 930e.:tiphat:

Seems to test brighter than the Sony ZD9, samsung Q series, and all the rest. Well over 1000nits, and all the bells and whistles I wanted. The bravia sync also works well for ps3/ps4 and my avr. Good tip to bring my own source media to view, UHD Van Gogh proved the wide color gamut nicely, and Hawaiian action sports let me see motion handling and realism (Hawaii colors I know exactly)

The LG b6 OLED and the others were certainly exquisite showing dark carbon fiber Ferraris in dark rooms, and would excel in a nice home theater setup with controlled ambient lighting, but in a brighter family room watching football, not my first choice.

I would like to point out that compared to my 2007 Toshiba, EVERY new 2017 model looked better, even the cheaper Vizio,hisense, or insignia brand. Anybody with a really old tv thats 'still good enough' like I was, should take a look at the new models, they are much nicer.

Thanks for the tips gentleman, and good day.

davidb1 and Oatsdad like this.
  25. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.