2017 Emmy Nominees

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Splungeworthy, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura Thread Starter

Best Drama Series - Emmys 2017: The Full List of Nominations
    The link has the entire list.
    Discuss. Who should win, who will win, who got snubbed, etc.
    Drama Series:
    Who Will Win: Handmaid's Tale
    Who Should Win: Better Call Saul
    Snubs: Two big ones: The Americans and The Leftovers
    Comedy Series:
    Who Will Win and Who Should Win: Veep
    Snubs: You're The Worst; Better Things
    Limited Series:
    Who Will Win and Who Should Win: Fargo
    Snubs: None come to mind
    Drama Actress:
    Who Will Win: Elisabeth Moss
    Who Should Win: Evan Rachel Wood
    Snubs: Carrie Coon-but she was nominated for Fargo in the limited series category.
    Drama Actor:
    Who Will Win and Who Should Win: Bob Odenkirk
    Snubs: Justin Theroux, Rami Malek
    Comedy Actress:
    Who Will Win and Who Should Win: Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Just retire the category.
    Snubs:None
    Comedy Actor:
    Who Will Win: Jeffrey Tambor
    Who Should Win: William H. Macy. It takes a lot of effort to make someone so reprehensible.
    Snubs: None
    The only other notable snub I'll mention, besides the complete lack of recognition for The Leftovers, is Michael McKean. That is a crime.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. Splungeworthy

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

The link still says Best Drama Series.

5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I never trust their results !!!

6. Splungeworthy

What happens when you click on it? It takes me to the full list, after a short summary of the nominees.

7. MikaelaArsenault

I meant the heading, sorry.

8. Splungeworthy

I don't know how to change the heading without messing up the link.

9. MikaelaArsenault

It's fine.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The crawl on my news-ish station says Westworld and Saturday Night Live are tied for the most nominations. Westworld I can see - it's a nice genre-bender, and it's on Hollywood's favorite have-to-pay-for-it-to-get-it channel.

But, really? Loren's little Stunt-Casting skit-show? Yes. They had a good season. Yes! They finally found Alec Baldwin something worthwhile to do that didn't have him bringing-up Schweddy-balls in every other opening monologue. YES! They managed to go a whole season without tossing a star one of the cast members is playing at that moment, into a skit as a way to end it. But...there's enough skits that went nowhere, pointless song-and-dance show opens, and I swear, there are characters that pop up in "Weekend Update" that send me to the kitchen, knowing there won't be any time for real punchlines for the rest of the bit.

On the other hand, if one award they're nominated for is, "best use of a Press-Room podium"...okay, I'm down with that.

11. Splungeworthy

Nominations by network

HBO 110
    Netflix 91
    NBC 60
    FX Networks 54
    ABC 34
    CBS 29
    Fox 21
    Hulu 18
    Amazon 16
    National Geographic 15
    Showtime 15
    AMC 11
    PBS 11
    A&E 10
    BBC America 10
    TBS 9
    VH1 8
    CNN 7
    ESPN 7
    Lifetime 6
    Comedy Central 5
    Disney Channel 5

12. Splungeworthy

For the click averse:
    Best Drama Series

House of Cards (Netflix)

Better Call Saul (AMC)

The Crown (Netflix)

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu)

This Is Us (NBC)

Westworld (HBO)

Stranger Things (Netflix)

Best Comedy Series

Veep (HBO)

Atlanta (FX)

Black-ish (ABC)

Master of None (Netflix)

Modern Family (ABC)

Silicon Valley (HBO)

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)

Best Actress in a Drama Series

Claire Foy (The Crown)

Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid's Tale)

Robin Wright (House of Cards)

Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld)

Viola Davis (How to Get Away with Murder)

Keri Russell (The Americans)

Best Actor in a Drama Series

Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us)

Anthony Hopkins (Westworld)

Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul)

Matthew Rhys (The Americans)

Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan)

Milo Ventimiglia (This Is Us)

Best Actress in a Comedy Series

Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)

Allison Janney (Mom)

Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)

Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish)

Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie)

Jane Fonda (Grace and Frankie)

Best Actor in a Comedy Series

Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent)

Aziz Ansari (Master of None)

Donald Glover (Atlanta)

Anthony Anderson (Black-ish)

William H. Macy (Shameless)

Zach Galifianakis (Baskets)

Best Limited Series

Big Little Lies (HBO)

Feud (FX)

Genius Nat Geo

The Night Of (HBO)

Fargo (FX)

Genius (National Geographic)

Best Variety Talk Series

Last Week Tonight (HBO)

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS)

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (CBS)

The Late Late Show with James Corden (CBS)

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)

13. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

I'm partial to the Handmaid's Tale, House of Cards and Full Frontal. The Night Of was good as was Genius.

[​IMG]

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my my my my my

how on earth did carrie coon NOT get nominated for "the leftovers".....she was no less than mesmerizing every time she was on the screen. (viola davis....again...does anyone even watch that show anymore?)

all 4 girls form "big little lies" and all 4 well deserved nominations.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Pretty annoyed that 'You're The Worst' in general (and Aya Cash in particular) didn't get any nominations. Looks like it's following 'Sunny In Philadelphia' into well-worm territory of comedies that the Emmy voters just ignore.

16. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Aya Cash is awesome. The show is such a blend of comedy and drama, that maybe her performance "fell between the cracks".

17. Splungeworthy

I'm almost happy that You're The Worst got snubbed, if only so that it doesn't become more popular, and then, ugh, more accepted. This is a show with some pretty repugnant characters, actually not unlike Sunny, and I hope like Sunny lives a long life on FXX, a network that not too many people seem to know about. Aya Cash is a great actress, though, worthy of recognition (you may recall she had a nice run on The Newsroom).

93curr likes this.
  18. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Nice to see Colbert, Oliver and Bee nominated. Jon Stewart should get a lifetime achievement award or something for nurturing all of them.

OldSoul and Splungeworthy like this.
  19. Splungeworthy

The Emmys are this Sunday (Sept 16, 2017), and I thought I'd report back on some of the more interesting creative Emmy awards given out yesterday.
    Big Little Lies won the first music supervision Emmy, and if you've seen the show you know it has some of the best music on a series ever. Just a great mix of new and old, and the best thing is that the music complemented the show so well. This would be my dream job-music supervisor.
    In other noteworthy music wins, Jeff Russo won for Fargo, and his evocative music was perfect for that show.
    Stranger Things won for main title theme music, which was really no surprise. That intro is the best on TV right now.
    Melissa McCarthy won an Emmy for her portrayal of Sean Spicer on SNL. 'Nuff said about that.
    Westworld racked up five wins in the technical categories (the visual effects and makeup are crazy good), and expect it to win in other categories as well-it's going to have a huge night.
    Some wins for shows that sort of fly under the radar, but which I like:
    Master Of None won for Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series, and if you haven't watched season two of MON, get to it-it's fantastic.
    The Ranch, of all shows, won for Cinematography for a Multi-Camera Series. This is an awesome dramedy starring Ashton Kutcher and Sam Elliot, on Netflix, and forget any preconceived notions you may have about Kutcher as an actor-he's very good in this.
    Shameless (?) won the Emmy for Stunt Coordination for a Comedy Series or Variety Program. You go Shameless! (It's coming back soon-can't wait. No matter how bad you think your life is, Frank Gallagher's is worse.)
    Remember that fake Los Pollos Hermanos employee training video that came out ahead of Better Call Saul? It won for Short Form Comedy or Drama Series.
    And last but certainly not least Gerard McRaney finally won an Emmy, for This Is Us. I think that guy's been on every show ever made.

20. Splungeworthy

Just some thoughts about the show in general:
    Steven Colbert was a capable but unremarkable host, and as is the tradition lately, invisible from the show for long stretches.
    Inspired choice using Stevie Wonder's "As" for the In Memoriam sequence.
    Happy that Big Little Lies took home some trophies. This is a great show and you should definitely check it out.
    I'm glad Ann Dowd won for Handmaid's Tale. She's a brilliant actress who's been around forever, and she's a force of nature on that show.
    I'm sure we're going to hear more about what happened to Sterling K. Brown. He went long on his thank you's, until they finally cut his mike. As he was walking away he took a swipe at it!
    Thankfully not too much politicking, especially from Colbert.
    Very happy to see Aziz Ansari and Lena Waithe win the writing award for the remarkable "Thanksgiving" episode of Master Of None. This was the highlight of the season for me-we learned so much about Dev and Denise, and this should be required viewing for all writers on how to develop a character. Surprisingly this was the first time a woman of color won this award and the crowd gave Lena and Aziz a standing ovation.
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus won her 6th straight Emmy for her portrayal of Selina Meyer, a record. Veep won for best comedy series. It should have been winning for years-it truly is the funniest show on the air.
    John Oliver won 2 Emmys for writing and show, and it further cements a changing of the guard from the absolute domination of The Daily Show to Last Week Tonight, a show you should watch (because you learn something while you're laughing! Whodathunk?).
    Now let's get with it Academy and throw some nominations at You're The Worst (specifically Aya Cash), and Catastrophe (for writer/creators Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney).
    See ya next year!

21. Splungeworthy

Just some quick addenda to my late night post (I was really tired):
    I realize that Veep has been winning best comedy series lately. My point is it should have been winning from day one, instead of Modern Family.
    Really sorry Carrie Coon came away empty-handed.
    Turns out there was actually quite a bit of politicking. I think the best quote along these lines was from Alec Baldwin in his acceptance speech (which I won't repeat here due to forum rules-just look it up, it's funny).
    Regarding next year's awards-let's also include some love for Ozark and Jason Bateman.
    SNL winning nine Emmys, after being on the air this long, is remarkable. Why does the show still seem so uneven to me?
    Reaction of the night had to go Anna Chlumsky when Sean Spicer came out.
    OK-now I'm done.

Lightworker likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

modern family was funny for about 2 years, after that it was about sophia vagara's chest.......talk about 2 non-talents, her and ty burrell are neither funny, nor good actors, and both of them have parlayed this drivel into very lucrative careers.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'big little lies' deserved every bit of what they got, too bad they couldn't give emmy's to withersppoon and woodley too.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Not a thing wrong with very lucrative careers.

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Colbert's comment on the rise of Netflix was great: "Just remember, their hottest movie five years ago was a scratched DVD of Finding Nemo."

soundboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.