2017 Oscars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that would be impossible to pull off

[​IMG]

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Can't blame him at all.

Grant likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

RolandG likes this.
  4. I don't think (anyone, please feel free to correct me) that for 82 years anybody gave a hoot about the work Price Waterhouse and since 1998 PricewaterhouseCoopers did at the Oscars. All the years everything went fine went largely unnoticed. But one (preventable) mistake with no negative ramifications for any of the nominees, and it's "off with their heads".

Doesn't the world have real problems that need attending to?

Scott222C likes this.
  5. the pope ondine

something new will get the wrath of the crowd soon, I think for most its a funny diversion, and im sure some are all irate and didn't even watch, its the nature of the social media world where everyone has to chime in on everything

RolandG likes this.
  6. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

All the backlash is because we have to sit through the introductions to the accountants every year to show how important they are to the process.
    If they are going to be so high profile that they get tv time each year, they should be the ones held accountable for their mistakes.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think they should be applauded. I asked my movie lover friend what she thought about this years Oscars and in absolute delight she said "It's the most exciting thing to happen at the Oscars!" At least it made for some decent entertainment. Usually they're a snoozefest really.

I say give them a bonus. :)

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In Hollywood, this is a real-world problem.

Again, I just wonder how many other mistakes that happened over the Academy's Awards existence that were never caught or called out.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think the backlash is because a lot of people love a good backlash and this situation is good fodder for a backlash. :)

It has nothing to do with them getting airtime because even if they didn't get any airtime the same thing would've happened backlash wise.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It might be a real world problem in their world but it doesn't mean it actually is a real world problem. I'm horrible and dusting and that's a real world problem in my world, but the real real world, not really an issue.

I imagine there might have been other errors over the years. But I also believe you can still have years of no errors and then, you get a doozy.

11. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Yeah, like the time "Birdman" was accidentally named winner over "Boyhood". How many people caught that!!!???

peopleareleaving likes this.
  12. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Correct.

And now, speaking to board, in general..

A clearly bad call by a ref in an NFL playoff game.... By the way some talk in this thread. no one has the right to get up in arms about anything, except other real world problems. They would say, no matter how upsetting that was for you, they poo poo it away with "hey it's just a game..."

So, the question would be, to anyone in this thread, how do you feel when someone here preaches to you about where your passions should lie? About what you should really be concerned about, and, what you really should *not* be concerned about.

I laugh it off.... My passions are my passions. For some it's whales, others trees, etc.

As badly as PwC bungled the affair, after the wrong winner was announced, for me, the real shame continues to go to Warren Beatty. This professional actor/director/producer has not yet, imo, given a full account of how he screwed up, first, on not completely reading all of the information on the card, and, his just going along with what Faye announced, knowing something was wrong.

When you're in the limelight and make a mistake, that's one thing.

When you're in the limelight, and in the opinion of many, act unprofessionally, well that's a whole nuther deal altogether. And you get to get criticized for your action, or inaction, as the case may be. And, if that's my passion, then please don't try and send me to what you think is a "real world" problem, to get me off of the subject!!!!

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

my 2 cents: Beatty is a very, very old man now. And, just guessing, he may not even know who Emma Stone is; possibly he might have thought she was the producer of La la land...sure he didn't think they gave him the wrong BP card.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes, there are many "worlds" out there. Sports, music, movies, video games, world events/politics, the stock market, military, swingers, cooking, you name it. I understand that some people who are not into one world may not "get" the importance of an event in someone else's world.

I think Warren Beatty showed Faye Dunaway the card as if to silently ask her if that looked right, and to let her know that something was wrong without letting on that there was a problem. Remember, it was Faye that decided to announce what was on the card, despite there being a different header of the category. It was show business, and an important night, but if only one or both of them had stopped the show, damn the appearances, and flagged someone to check it out first, this could have all been avoided.

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

She had just won the Best Actress Oscar five minutes before!

Warren may not be a big player in Hollywood anymore but I'm sure he still pays attention -- he'll be an Academy voter, for one thing. And his wife is still active in the industry.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  16. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

No. They got that right. ;-D

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The cards say "Best xxxx" underneath the names. And he's not a senile old man, Beatty is still sharp as a tack. The reason he was so awkward and didn't read the card on stage was b/c he knew it was a mistake.

Grant and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. the pope ondine

yeah but it woudve been "how could the Oscars screw up so bad!!??" instead of "how could Price Waterhouse Smith Cooper Jones....." they paid for their plugs in blood this time.

19. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

.......then as the elder statesman, he should've spoken up to correct the obvious mistake.

Grant likes this.
  20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Still, one wonders why this sharp Academy voter didn't spot and/or correct the mistake immediately.

I didn't mean to be a Beatty hater, but just pointing out that a very old man has more chances to be confused.

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

He spotted the mistake, that's why he fumbled around and then passed it to Dunaway who read the card anyway. I suppose a younger Beatty may have thrown a clever quip about it to get it corrected, but when you're on stage to announce Best Picture I can imagine that anyone could easily panic when they've realized they're holding the wrong card and not know what to do.

22. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

So... don't mess with Accountants ???

[​IMG]

eddiel likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Nah it still would've been how could PwC screw up so bad because their name would've been mentioned as part of the explanation as to what happened.

Like I said, people like a good backlash and it don't get much better than this for fodder..it was for best picture with two very high profile nominees and the run up had articles with titles like "Why Lala Land winning best picture would be bad' (paraphrasing). There was already excitement around this years Oscars in terms of best picture and then for it to end the way it did, with an error...amazing really.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You got a point.

It would've turned out differently as they would've announced the real winner. But, everyone would've known something had gone wrong and there would have had to have been explanations as to what happened. So I think there would still be some flak flying around anyway. Unless the mistake could've been covered up there was no way it wasn't going to get some major press. But it would not have been as bad as it was in terms of backlash. It would've been more "Imagine if they had not caught the mistake" type headlines.

25. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

It's been s long time since I watched the Oscars. They actually introduce the accountants? Sheesh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.