2017: The Doors 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:help:

2. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I think even a tracklist of the L.A. Woman box was announced, right?

3. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Would be great to have a Doors thread that didn't dissolve into a bunch of people whining. That stuff adds nothing of value to any conversation.

Mr Mojo likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Jampol released a list of the outtakes, about 3 discs worth. The box set never appeared, nor did the downloads of the tracks in question. Talk about an enormous tease.

D-rock and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I do feel for Pats radio almost as much as J jampol and the stick they are getting, promising much but delivering little though to be fair there can't be much left to re-issue from a 4 year legacy

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sorry, but I love the 40th anniversary album reissues already.

Matthew Tate and Christopher B like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Besides the early 'Moonlight Drive' demo, what actually happened with the 1965 demos? Were they officially released prior 2015? (If yes, sorry I didn't know that.) Otherwise, the copyright of these recordings expired in 2015.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

They released lots of outtakes of the L.A. Woman sessions years ago, so what about releasing something similar like Pink Floyd's Early Years box set?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  9. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Exactly. We don't know what the record companies have planned for 2017...so it does seem premature to say that 2017 is going to suck.

Christopher B and Revolver like this.
  10. Vinyl Socks

The proper anniversary year for The Doors debut album is January 4, 1967. So, starting January 1st, it will be the 50th anniversary of their first album.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

October 'this year' marked the 50th anniversary of The Jimi Hendrix Experience forming and very little was done about that.

John Fell and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. Vinyl Socks

Agreed. I love The Doors, but they've squeezed every re-mix and remastering out of the fruits of their labor.
    The HD versions of the Doors, while pretty good, didn't really stir the pot for me.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Miles Davis has them both beat..... by miles.:) He even has a boxed set of box sets! How crazy is that?
    [​IMG]

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:doh: simply stunning.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

7 albums by the original band and 2,785 best of's.

Erik B., Ash76 and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Isn't calling London Fog a "monstrosity" a bit much? I understand the frustration over the high cost, unwanted trinkets included, etc. However, we are about to hear a 1966 live recording of the Doors for the first time, after all!

Pats Radio likes this.
  17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

OK. I forgot that one of the rules of investing also applies here.....

Past performance is no indication of future performance.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

am i missing something, i thought there were 6.

FYI

even more astounding, it was less than 4 total hours of studio music.

19. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Does anybody have a link to the track listing for this unreleased box? This is one thing I wish they would release.

Actually, I'd like to see a box covering all their studio outtakes, etc. done kinda like the "Big Blue Dylan" from last year. Just put it all out, clear the vault and put everything out for the final time. They wouldn't have anywhere near as much material from all their albums as Dylan did from his three so it could be done. Don't include a bunch of junk, just a nice book and lots of music.

They'd still have live albums to release in the future. Also maybe a great "Singles" set with correct 45rpm versions.

20. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

I asked Jampol on twitter why "when youre strange" film wasnt currently on itunes and he said....

@N8L21 @iTunes @TheDoors
    Because we have something special planned for When You're Strange next year, for The Doors' 50th!

21. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

This is from a year ago:

The Doors' Robby Krieger Talks 50th Anniversary Plans, Re-Releases & Newly Unearthed Recordings

"The Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger and drummer John Densmore are eying their famed band's 50th anniversary in 2017 as an opportunity to do some special things -- including their overdue tribute to late keyboardist Ray Manzarek."

"There'll be something cool happening," guitarist Krieger told Billboard. "I can't say exactly what yet, but we never did get our tribute to Ray thing going, so it'll be part of that, for sure, and probably for Jim [Morrison], too."

22. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Ive been thinking of this thread and came up with this: Does the band owe us anything ? I realize 50th anniversaries are big deals but does the band owe anyone anything ? They put out 40th anniversary mixes of their catalog and some liked them, some did not. It goes back to if you are a fan and want to buy any new 50th releases, then do so. If you dont, then dont.

AJK74 likes this.
  23. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

I liked the 40th remixes, only have the CD versions. Wouldn't mind seeing LP release or re-release for those

Christopher B likes this.
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I counted their first live album.

25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Now is the time for Mr. Mojo Risin to return fro Paris. C'mon Jim...it is now or never...

Rich C, Williamson and Christopher B like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.