2017: The Doors 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

D-rock and Reader like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Also, that term has already been copyrighted for use when the elderly and sick musicians, and actors begin dying next year.

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Six Bachelors likes this.
  4. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Understood...I was only talking about 2017 anniversary releases.
    What you're talking about...already sad and inevitable...

Myke likes this.
  5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Planned? I even paid for the damn thing!

ianuaditis, bluesbro and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The frustration is that they had two early live sets of tapes that promised to be great releases - this and The Matrix. The former is coming out in a bloated box that costs far more than it's worth, which will probably discourage a lot if people from getting it, and parts of the latter were sourced from low signal/high noise cassette copies of excellent sounding original tapes, re-ordered in a bizarre way (songs first album on one disc; songs from second album on other disc). Despite powerful urging from fans direct to the manager that superior tapes were available, that manager insisted that the tapes being used were the masters. Then the band bought the masters but has sat on them.

You're right. The word I used was exaggerated and unhelpful.

I wonder if a large part of my (and others'??) concern comes from the paucity of remaining items in the archive (as far as we know). The management policy seems to have been "screw the bootleggers!" so tapes and new things aren't flooding in. There isn't much left to get right.

7. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Oh, I completely agree in regards to Matrix. I sometimes think Doors management gets more criticism than what is deserved (perhaps not everything blamed on him was his fault, he has done some good things, etc). However, the 2008 Matrix release was an utter botch job in every way. I feel like they OWE it to the fans to release it next year complete, well mastered, and at an affordable price.

Best we can hope for is management reconsiders that policy, especially once they run out of releasable material. I will say that I've heard tape owners ask ridiculous prices.

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

A properly remastered "Best of The Doors" 2CD set with full dynamic range and I'll be fine

:righton:

9. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Sorry
    I propose a bog nooooooooo to more bests of and studio compilations. enough is enough.

sons of nothing likes this.
  10. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Are you able to say which shows? Certain eras are more desirable than others. Plus, was it Jim at the mic, or was it Jimbo?

11. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I swear people just love to whine. People wanted the Fog set, they get it now they're complaining of price. My God. Never happy.

mikedifr0923, FLF and Christopher B like this.
  12. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It's the reasoning behind the price...Far too much fluff with it for an incomplete show. Most of us want the show, and only the show. Thank god for torrents

Dudley Morris and eddiel like this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

People are mocking your post, but I'm with you. I bought the 2010 box and not more than a couple of months later sold it. It just didn't live up to my hopes for SQ improvements. I think originals still sound better.

It's not gonna happen, but still...one can hope.

14. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I'm sure there are others that might be able to answer in more detail. I'm just going by what I've read over the years. That said, one show that gets mentioned often is New Orleans 1970. Apparently, the owner wants a fortune for it. I agree that a 1967 soundboard is more desirable than a 1970 would be.

15. Pats Radio

I can't wait til they release the Matrix shows next year and we can stop hearing about it. Holy Christ, we got it, it didn't go well. Get over it.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Of course they are complaining; the set is an overpriced pile of crap with a 30 minute live disc.

17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I will wait for the immersion boxes with Beer coasters and marbles next year! these last few years this group has had far too many releases of the same stuff and I don't think the love for them is as strong now as it was maybe ten years ago! they have made people wait far too long for some real rubbish releases "boot yer butt" that was really crappy and the endless greatest hits over and over again has really diluted the group!

18. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I agree in regards to that first part. I can't wait to they release Matrix next year (assuming it's done right), too. That said, I'm not "over it". Until it's properly released, it will always be unfinished business.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Thats ok. I've got thick skin. Actually I posted my comment as a joke since The Doors never seem to miss a chance to remaster and re-release their discography....along with a new best of comp. I don't see the 50 year anniversary being much different.

20. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

I really do wish Doors management would consider releasing 13, as well mastered (proper mixes) and packaged as was Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine. Together, they make an excellent, eclectic collection of hits and deep cuts, and they were both historic compilations from the original era that belong side by side on the shelf (along with Steve's recent remastering of "Best of"). It would be an easy, inexpensive bone to throw us, one would think.

1970: 13
    1972: Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine
    1973: Best of The Doors

21. Pats Radio

That same 30 minute set all these whiners wanted so bad no matter what. Now they get it and they bitch about the extras. Please.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Who are "all these whiners" you refer to? Many Doors fans are not supporting this atrocious box set, so clearly a faction of the fan-base did not want the Fog tape "no matter what."

Six Bachelors and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  23. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

For teh sake of our own health, let´s end the discussion (and I´m playing guilty here). ehere is no point in pretending Pats will one day a point of view which is not his.

24. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Go snag the DCC's and AF's and make a cd-r :)

rockclassics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.