2017: The Doors 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm really not interested in any more live albums. I'm not a big fan of them in general, and rarely play them, and imo the Doors sound much better on the studio recordings than they do live. Especially as Jim just sounds pissed on so many of them. Please stop with all these live albums!!!!!

I would like to see a really comprehensive blu-ray collection of TV clips from around the world and a singles compilation with original mono and stereo mixes.

2. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

Apart from Live Albums, theres not much left studio wise:(

3. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

The "Jim sounds so pissed on many of the live recordings" is rubbish I actually think if anything the band lets him down on a few.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

The Following in Analog- No more digital (VINYL)
    Box sets would be nice with a CD but VINYL in analog please...

1967 soundboard, as many as possible.
    Stockholm
    Winterland and Filmore
    The second London Fog reel
    PBS critique
    An all analog Hollywood Bowl
    I know they had to cut another show to fill the missing reels for some of Jim's vocals, bus is there anyway to do that without digitizing? Use both reels when mestering, right? I know, I know painstakingly difficult but we would love the management for it and it would be a really great way to get our attention.

5. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Wow! Almost forty-six years in the grave and that Morrison fella is still inciting riots!

Matthew Tate and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Original singles collection.

7. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Like the 2013 japanese version?

certainly i'd love a Vinyl version of the US singles

Pats Radio and Buda like this.
  8. Apart from The Matrix complete, I'd completely agree with this. The Doors were a much better studio band than they ever were a live band. To date all the live recordings lack something, even the famed, much booted shows like Stockholm. There is no good studio material left to release, if indeed there ever was. Why would anyone think the three surviving members wrote / recorded Other Voices and Full Circle if there was a cache of Jim related material left-over when he died? I wonder why some fans keep calling for it. After 50 years you might think it should be obvious by now that if there had been good unreleased material it would have been released long long ago when The Doors popularity hit its apex, say between 1980 and 1992.

The Doors weren't Bob Dylan or Neil Young, writing and recording a ton of material and then abandoning it in favour of something entirely different. Each subsequent album after the debut became increasingly more difficult to make. They barely had enough material for six albums to start with.

As for L.A. Woman box, I'm personally relieved that one was buried alive. Just listen to the second disc of the 40th Anniversary reissue and then tell me you want more. Really? The Doors are my favourite band but there is so much better stuff out there to listen to than 3rd rate sub-par Doors material. I'd rather listen to Full Circle than L.A. Woman out-takes. Geez, I can't believe I just said that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    anastasios and Jim B. like this.
  9. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

http://www.thedoors.com/category/news
    Can someone tell to someone else who has a friend who his cousin's neighbor works in the doors co not to write again "recently discovered" I mean... like.......Never again.

rnranimal likes this.
  10. anastasios

Great idea. I think you want the soft parade in a deluxe box too.
    just joking. I owe you some links

Jim B. likes this.
  11. anastasios

You'd rather listen...what?

12. Yes indeed. It's different (and for me personally fresher) material, more variety and great musically. What's in the LAW reissue? Uninspiring, not fully formed, earlier tread-throughs of the later master-takes. It's near rehearsal quality; a once only listen and not my idea of great value. Mind you I'm not a fan of out-takes at the best of times.

anastasios likes this.
  13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

[​IMG]

14. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

In no particular order:

-Continue issuing the Absolutely Live concerts on vinyl. Seems obvious, but we've only gotten 2 shows thus far.
    -Try to obtain some of the 1967 soundboards known to exist. No guarantee that the tape owners will play ball after being treated like crap and or ignored, but an olive branch of peace wouldn't hurt.
    -A multi-disc box set featuring the best remaining unreleased studio outtakes from the 6 Jim era albums would be nice.

D-rock likes this.
  15. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

How 'bout that collection of outtakes from the first few albums that was sold on Ebay a few years back?

I STILL would love to hear the New Orleans '70 show.

D-rock and Shawn like this.
  16. anastasios

Are we talking about the alternate takes????
    I think it's great.in any case i can see your point of view

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Isn't there 7-8 CDs worth of studio stuff that is still awaiting release? Mostly MH/LAW stuff that is a bit jammy but I want it. The Doors won't say what they have, but Perception let us know they have the multis.

10 discs if you count the mono stuff never on CD from the 2nd/3rd albums or some radio edits. I also expect more demo like Hyacinth House to be hiding away - possibly Rothschild estate hoarding them.

There's 3-4 CDs worth of top shelf stuff that's never circulated that is public domain in 40 weeks. Live 67 soundboards and the SD reels(dumpster find?) that came up for auction, with seller keeping a copy of the contents.

Plus, isn't there 10 hours of Jim poetry audio, printed and non-work print film to be released?

PhantomStranger, D-rock and Buda like this.
  18. SoundAdvice

Some studio stuff they didn't have until recently, due to dumpster finds or hiding stuff from Sugarman. The Doors were also very hit and miss with the tape archive or even cataloging what they had. Plus some stuff was only possible with modern digital editing techniques. The band sat on 10 multi tracked jim era live shows for 30-35 years.

Market didn't exist in previous decades for CD release of alternate takes or mono.

19. anastasios

I belive that this is strict criticism for LAW takes.

D-rock and SteveM like this.
  20. SoundAdvice

If they actually cracked the vault, they can market it any way they want.

anastasios likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

You skipped a post that YOU specifically requested.

-Just likes fans aren't buying sets they don't to support, why open this thread if you don't want to read it?
    -Where's London Fog reel 2 you said was found?
    -Fog 1 has liner notes by the taper printed by the band saying Fog 2 isn't located. 6 months after you said it was found. Has no copyright protection in the EU.
    -If a Doors fan owns the mono debut, is there a single reason to buy the upcoming set beyond a minor Matrix exclusive and the booklet?
    -If Jampol is such a good manager, why will he let the debut alternate studio versions(in about 40 weeks) and Fog 2 reel copyrights lapse?
    -If Billboard says Fog sold less than 3,000 copies why did you claim the 18,000 were about the sell out?
    -Is the Rothchild estate holding key tapes hostage?
    -All the 1967 live tapes that The Doors didn't buy are free agents on open market January 2018. Does Jampol what stores in the EU stock for his clients?
    -If it's such a monumental year, why start it with such an underwhelming box set?
    -When can I expect the free Fog copy you promised me in writing on this forum? I only need the factory pressed CD.
    -Are you telling us not to buy either upcoming Matrix set because of something coming later this year?
    -What are they going to do with the 10,000+ Fog boxes sitting in a warehouse or a few in stores that have exceeded their shelf life?
    -Are you actually a fan of the band? I've never even seen any fandom type remarks from you, only JAM management POV type postings.

Matthew Tate, Buda and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

I own zero of the RSD stuff. Last purchases were Vancouver and the LAW double as a used CD.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Even if there was a cache of Morrison-era outtakes in the vaults, OV and FC were still going to happen. Ray, Robby and John were already rehearsing with a new vocalist before Morrison died; it is a part of their history that they have tried to bury, but the evidence strongly suggests that the band was planning on parting ways with Morrison circa 1971 one way or another. Bill Siddons asserts that Michael Stull was the chosen replacement prior to Morrison's death. Why the band decided to subsequently move forward as a trio is unclear. But because the band has been unwilling to be transparent about that period and its conflict with Morrison prior to his death, the full story may never be revealed.

I would rather listen to a jackhammer than Full Circle. The LA Woman outtakes are just that, outtakes. They are examples of works-in-progress, presenting a look into the creative process of a great band. They don't match the polished, finished masters, but they are interesting, and I would have enjoyed hearing the complete sessions to hear the transformation of the material in question. The cancellation of the LA Woman box set was a serious disappointment.

24. anastasios

Fully agree

Buda and tedg65 like this.
  25. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Even if there was a cache of Morrison-era outtakes in the vaults, OV and FC were still going to happen. Ray, Robby and John were already rehearsing with a new vocalist before Morrison died; it is a part of their history that they have tried to bury, but the evidence strongly suggests that the band was planning on parting ways with Morrison circa 1971 one way or another. Bill Siddons asserts that Michael Stull was the chosen replacement prior to Morrison's death. Why the band decided to subsequently move forward as a trio is unclear. But because the band has been unwilling to be transparent about that period and its conflict with Morrison prior to his death, the full story may never be revealed.

Where did you hear this?.....I've never heard anything about them rehearsing with a new singer?....who was Michael Stull?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.