2017: The Doors 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Unwanted trinkets? Who doesn't like marbles? Bring on the marbles!

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I assume that also applies to all the managers of all those legacy bands who are managed in a totally different way than The Doors...who are managed really, really well and whose legacy is preserved, even enhanced. Meanwhile The Doors will soon be a footnote if the current approach continues.*

*I hope no one listens to me. I don't have a clue...about anything really.

asdf35 likes this.
  3. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Or get the '85 edition fatboy - a LOT cheaper and it sounds fantastic IMO :righton:

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I still have mine, bought in the summer of 1990. An almost perfect track list, too

Jonboy likes this.
  5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

As numerous people have stated, diehards like myself included (sorry, Pat...) we wont buy this due to the fact that there's far too much unneeded extras. What next, packing the cd in an actual life sized door that you can put on your house??
    I want the music. pretty much every live release was great. Minimal fluff. Even Beat the Boots has merit. If I get this, it'll be on the secondary market. I almost want to make a point of buying it second hand. I've bought every live release new.

All that said, I'm sure this package is not all jeffs doing. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that The Doors or their estates wanted a whole bunch of fluff to pad the costs, or recover the price paid for the tape. In reality, it should have been a bonus disc with the original mix of the first album (stereo and mono).
    It all could have fit on a nice 2cd set and cost less that 20 bucks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

That's why most of the major artists are with JAM INC. Please just stop. You're out of your league here.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  7. Pats Radio

Sigh. Guys, the cost to buy the masters were not cheap. Very expensive. All those in involved are in the business to MAKE MONEY. Now, with these small releases they don't make a ton. They don't, but they need to make some and certainly to cover all the costs it takes to put out the release. The price for the box wasn't just throw out there. There's a reason for it. To do what I just explained above. They're not trying to screw their fans (love that one), they're trying to make everyone happy which isn't easy on any level. Buy it or not but to me if you're a doors die hard, I'm not sure how you don't either buy it or save up to do so. I still don't believe any doors super fan won't buy it. And if you're not than you problably aren't a big enough fan. Period.

No Bull and mikedifr0923 like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

JAM does not represent:

Major legacy artists no longer alive or working:
    Elvis Presley
    The Beatles
    John Lennon
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Jimi Hendrix
    David Bowie
    Frank Zappa
    Cream
    George Harrison
    The Band
    The Kinks
    Grateful Dead
    The Allman Brothers Band
    The Eagles
    The Byrds
    Roy Orbison
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    BB King
    Stevie Ray Vaughan

Major legacy artists still working:
    Bob Dylan
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Eric Clapton
    Neil Young
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Beach Boys
    Rod Stewart
    Queen
    Van Morrison
    Willie Nelson
    Fleetwood Mac
    Paul McCartney

....you get the point.

9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

:biglaugh:

Just for once I'd love for you to tell us why you're such an expert and an insider on all things Doors related and why're you're far more qualified than the rest of us to have opinions. As usual, PacificOceanBlue has just discredited your claim entirely but no doubt you'll respond like a rottweiler on a leash, telling him he's not a real fan and that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Your credibility in this forum is non-existent so rather than just sitting on your high horse telling everyone how they're wrong, even when they're demonstrably right, try accepting that, even if you worship at the altar of Jampol Artist Management, many of us do not and many of us are unhappy with how things are being run. You said that not everyone can be kept happy and it's true that the client is the only one who needs to be kept happy...but to reject every dissenting voice as either ignorant, stupid or misinformed says a huge amount about your position here - i.e. you don't seem to have any grounding for anything you say and are not prepared even to attempt to justify your position on anything with proof. We're all wrong, all the time, and you're all right, all the time. It must be tough being so much better than everyone, all the time.

10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"They're not trying to screw their fans (love that one), they're trying to make everyone happy which isn't easy on any level"

Yea...it's not as if they padded a 3 CD set to 4 CD, so they could charge more, by adding a CD of "band favorites". Wow...talk about screwing their fans. That whole debacle should have been a 2CD set, but then...we did get great new songs like "Hello to the Cities". But I'm sure business decisions such as these are merely done to "make everyone happy".
    Oh well...if you can't appreciate the brilliance of "Hello to the Cities" then you probably aren't a big enough fan. Period.

11. Pats Radio

Wow. I guess you took my reply literally. How long did that take you? Lol. Well of course you can list a ton of bands and names. Place a get a hobby joke here. They can't represent everybody. Hello! Not sure what that proves. But obviously you have a lot of time on your hands. Keep listing them. BTW, you forgot the Edgar Winter Group.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You know what it proves....

13. Pats Radio

Yeah, not much.

14. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

It proves that it is impossible to have a reasonable conversation with a certain board member.

Buda, Matthew Tate and Six Bachelors like this.
  15. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Hell, I'd be happy with just reissuing a 5.1 set, and keeping it print long enough that I can save up and buy it at a reasonable price. I'd even take a good 5.1 comp (the US tracklist for Very Best of, from 2007, would do me just fine).

16. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

You few guys are just as much responsible. Dog piling on this guy after everything he says, even when he tries to be reasonable because you are all so hurt by what JAMPOL has done. It's extremely childish and you guys are super lame. Thanks for ruining every Doors thread.

Pats Radio and kees1954 like this.
  17. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...you are absolutely correct! I was a member of the freedom man forum for seven years. I have been exiled because of not sharing everything they wished about the upcoming fog box set and a home recording of a doors show. After many weeks of abuse , I snap'd & wrote some things I regret!
    I heard the fog release some time ago, and everything I wrote about it, has been absolutely true,....I really loved the freedom forum, and I wish I could be a member again, but it is what it is....

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm a big Doors fan, own tons of stuff on CD, vinyl etc. I get the feeling though that the Doors management always just get every project just a bit wrong, in that they all fall a bit short. The reason is that they can then sell us it again in a few years slightly improved. They never nail anything 100%, because that would mean people would be done buying it.

Like they release a Blu Ray of TV clips, but it's not definitive and missing some key ones. So as they can release a new one in a few years. Or on CD there is a 40th mix, a 1999 mix with some bits altered, , a vinyl mono mix and then they release the original mix, so you end up buying the same album four times.

The Doors are not unique in this if course (The Who for example) but for such a small catalogue it should be easy to get it done right and be done with it. It just feels like a very cynical way of just keeping the cash flowing in (do they need the money that much).

Being a fan is one thing but being a fan does not mean you are blind. It's like loving a woman and ignoring the fact she's cheating on you. A point comes when you say enough is enough.

19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Having heard the samples on Amazon, this is at best a one listen. Yeah, it is super early in their career and all, but it is nothing special. To me, You Make Me Real was cool to hear, as was Strange Days. I'd love to hear a show from the Whisky, especially when Van Morrison joined them for some songs.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  20. Pats Radio

The Freedom Forum is romper room. Bunch of kids running it and bitter at the world. Pathetic. You're better off without it. Trust me.

21. Pats Radio

Doors Day in Venice. Geez called this a month ago. Guess I know nothing. Carry on pretending to know anything. Lol.

22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

The catalog has been remastered a zillion times. Just reissue those that are the good ones that everybody likes.

23. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...the announcement mentions besides Robbie Krieger and John densmore, family members of ray manzarek & Jim Morrison will be in attendance. I wonder what family members are coming. I'm assuming Dorothy and Pablo manzarek will be there, which family members of Morrison do you think will be there?

24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

He doesn't really say anything particularly useful or interesting. He just talks down to people who are skeptical of his so-called insider status. For every correct prediction he's made there are two or three that have yet to come to fruition. A living example of a broken clock being right twice a day. He still hasn't addressed the missing second London Fog reel which he insisted, in his usual condescending tone, had been discovered and would be released. I stand by my position that the guy has no credibility whatsoever.

Oh, and "Doors Day" in Venice? I can hardly contain my excitement. :laugh:

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Jim's brother/sister?

None of Jim's love childs have ever been acknowledged and I do think a couple are legit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.