2017: The Doors 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The 90's boot version is still the definitive version, despite 3-4 "official" Doors releases of that material. Plus under 90's Italian law some of those companies should have sent royalties to the Doors. 10-15 tracks including 2 unreleased songs are public domain 12/31/2017.

Most of the Matrix is not Strange Days related, beyond 6-7 tracks. Plus we know for a fact they have a notable amount of uncirculated studio outtakes from that album that slips out of copyright 12/31/2017.

That would mean the Doors would release a single note of music hardcore fans haven't heard yet. That hasn't happened in 2017 yet, their big 50th year that is now half over.

Floyd47 likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

We'll never get that from any artist on any release. They always have to leave something off for the next anniversary.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

4. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

The doors by the doors is an interesting read despite the fact of some "mistakes"
    an illustrated history is a must have

the other, i really don't know. never heard of it and i've been collecting doors since 1995

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

2 questions. what are the mistakes? too many to list?

the illustrated is only a paperback?

6. DanT

DanT Forum Resident

I have all three. All are worth a read. The Doors illustrated history also came out in hardbound. My HB copy is signed by Robby and John. I have three copies of The Doors by The Doors signed by Ray, Robby and John and one additional signature by Ben Fong the day of the 40th anniversary of the Doors on the Sunset Strip. Ben signed it when he was at the Rainbow Room quietly sipping a cocktail at one of the outside tables and reading a book.

Kat Records likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

how is that last book ? is it just pictures with a bit of info?

8. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I am not a Doors completist like probably most on here, and I feel like I have just about all the Doors I need reinforced by the frustration I am hearing on this thread. I own all the studio albums on LP and cd, and most of the Bright Midnights, except Detroit and Aquarius First Performance. The Live at the Matrix 2017 release was 1 of 2 albums I bought on RSD, and I would get a volume 2 if they come out with it for the other songs, I do really enjoy hearing them find their way. Other than that I'm out. How many more versions of When The Music's Over do I need?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Other than The Matrix what New music is there that's never been out before.

Pericles likes this.
  10. DanT

DanT Forum Resident

A lot of high quality photo's and some interesting reading along the way. If you're into the doors it's worth picking up and reading through but don't expect to find unknown tid bits of info.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

thank you. that book seems to be the one the fewest people own or even know about

DanT likes this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I pretty much feel the same way but, would like a 1970 live recording with Riders of the Storm and a couple of the other LA Woman songs performed live.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Same here, If they do an L.A. Woman box, it could be epic with all the material that exists.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

So what the hold up? Are they all waiting to pass on before they let this stuff out?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I don;t think the remaining Doors care at all. Whoever's in charge of the releases is just milking fans slowly. It's the worst I've ever seen with a bands catalog.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Was there ever a version of Riders publicly released without the rain sounds?

Jampol has to deal with a 3rd party on most of it or it's a hassle to get it release ready. Only the SD mono CD could be easily rubber stamped for release.

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I think there was an alternate take without them (but maybe I'm mixing that up with Black Sabbath). Also I think I have the stems from Guitar Hero and possibly the rain sounds can be removed. Can't remember for sure.

18. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Read the last few pages but didn't go back too far, can anyone tell me the general consensus on how the mono CD sounds in the box set for the self-titled album? Worth picking up, all from master tapes, mastered well? Or is it a needledrop? I recently bought the Light My Fire "digital 45" on 7digital (FLAC version) for the mono single version and it sounded pretty bad (high frequency distortion, sounds like a needledrop to me) so I want to check before purchasing.

19. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

20. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.