2017 vinyl reissue of First Rays of the New Rising Sun

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

I was in town and saw a couple of Jimi Hendrix reissues 2017 Sony Legacy EU. I was interested in First Rays of the New Rising Sun because it had a sticker saying....

All Analog Remaster from
    The Original 2-Track Master Tapes
    by Jimi's Original Engineer

I just want to let members know that this reissue is the exact same one as the Music On Vinyl reissue of a couple of years ago, because it has the same deadwax 86027 2A MOVLP 076. So it is not the analog version that was issued in 2010 in the US mastered by George Marino (Sterling), with STERLING in the deadwax.

JG

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The wording is tricky. So it's Kramer creating a digital remaster from the analog then cut to lacquer. Not a lie, but not the truth either.

Headfone likes this.
  3. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

This has saved me a lot of pain! Thanks.

But is there a US analogue re-issue from the same 2010 stampers?

4. marcfeld69

Bump.

5. marcfeld69

I was worried that this wouldn't be as analogue as the US but Gordon reported that the US 2010 would only be less digital (i.e. as good as the same) than the US 2010 so he thinks it safe to go for the EU 2017 (I hope Gordon is OK with this paraphrase!).

[Hopefully, this is also one way to avoid the bag rash problem with the older US 2010 copies?]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  6. marcfeld69

Update. I tried to order the US 2010 from a UK shop on Discogs but they ended up sending the UK 2017: it has the MOV plates from the EU 2010.

No proper matrix details on Discogs, unfortunately but it must be this:

Jimi Hendrix - First Rays Of The New Rising Sun

The barcode of mine matches the 2017: 886976340315

The 2010 EU MOV barcode is: 0886976506414

So I am confidant I have the 2017 UK Sony Legacy and it's using the MOV plates (as they often do) – and it’s 180g.

I can live with this, especially as there is no bag rash, even though I would have liked to have the 2010 US.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.