2018...And Still Not On CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Dec 31, 2017.

1. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

A great sounding stereo mix of the A Hard Days Night album.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...on CD

Andrew likes this.
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

All of the Spot The Pigeon EP is on the bonus CD/DVD of the Genesis 1976-1982 box set. The songs are out of order and with other non-album tracks, so I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but I thought I'd mention it.

4. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

The album came out on CD in 1985. Supposed to be reissued later this year.

melstapler likes this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

That's great news! Hopefully it will be a deluxe edition with some additional studio tracks and an unreleased live performance from that era. Emmylou made that album when she was married to songwriter Paul Kennerley.

Any fans of English songwriter Paul Kennerley?

6. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Ah, yes I believe I do have that content but they like the remixes would be compressed poorly too, yeah?!

7. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

FLAMES OF HELL (1987) Fire And Steel
    ALKANA (1978) Welcome To My Paradise
    INCUBUS (1987) Supernatural Death - Demo (complete 10 song session)

8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks unfortunately I only bought the stand alone sacd/dvd releases of Trick and Wind and not the whole box. I have a nice 12 inch record store day release of Spot the Pigeon as well as my 3 inch cd and original vinyl EP.

The Hud likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

I have the mid 80s Emmylou Ballad of Sally Rose cd. Unfortunately it was not included in the cardboard packaged 5 album set of 80s albums so at this time would appear to be out of print. I have some Emmylou high resolution downloads and will check if Sally Rose is one of them.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I would imagine so.

11. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

zongo likes this.
  12. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

My own studio album that hasn't been created/recorded and released yet!

rstamberg and The Hud like this.
  13. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Huh? TMK It has been, and still is, available as a German import CD for many years. Easy to get on the other side of the pond:

https://www.amazon.de/Ballad-Sally-...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1518012827&sr=8-1

Dave S and Flaming Torch like this.
  14. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

BTW The extended DancEPlay 3 track single has been available for a short time as as Video CD release circa 1988:

Dire Straits - ExtendeDancEPlay

Good luck finding it though. As most of you will know, the hit single Twisting by the pool is available on several Dire Straits comilations, although slightly remixed.

A bit like the Spot the pigeon EP by Genesis, which only was available as a 3 inch CD single for a short time.

Another one in this vein was the EP release of Joe Jackson's The harder they come. His version of the Jimmy Cliff classics made the charts in the UK and the Netherlands, but was MIA on CD for many years. Joe himself seems to disown it, since it doesn't appear on any of his regular comps. But I finally tracked down a rather hodge-podge compilation that appears to have all three tracks of this EP:

Joe Jackson - Joe Jackson

TMK it's the only place where all three of these tracks can be found on CD.

davers likes this.
  15. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I take it that you are aware that this US/Canadian LP in itself is a compilation of the first two proper albums they released in the Netherlands: 10 mistakes and Back to '78. In 1988 there was a CD release that combined most of those tracks on a single CD comp called Back to 19 mistakes. Admittedly, it doesn't contain all 13 tracks from your LP, but otherwise does a good job in covering 'The best of Gruppo Sportivo'.

But you're correct, even in their home country, this band is shockingly under-represented on CD. Earlier this year, they released a 2CD comp that collects all of their singles and their respective B-sides, though.

16. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

When it comes to my own wishlist for a proper CD release, apart from the usual suspects (Buckingham/Nicks, Neil Young, Seger, Steve Miller etc.) it's mostly rather obscure Dutch bands and artists, like The Houseband, Daniel Sahuleka, Spin, Water etc. Not rock, but mostly funk and jazzrock. It's my assumption that there's not enough profit to be made from a release that would sell marginally and only in the Netherlands, so I can see why this probably won't ever happen. OTOH, Universal Holland did a good job in releasing some Dutch gems from the past over the last few years, so not all hope is lost.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  17. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Oh, and a proper and good sounding release of Jon Anderson's solo album Animation would be most welcome. As many of you are aware, this album did get a CD release a few years ago, but sound quality was truly horrible.

And in the same vein - I do own the Lemon CD versions of the three Stealers Wheel LP's, but boy, are these in for a proper reissue/remastering, preferrably not taken from a scratched vinyl record. I also own a HQ rip from the rare early Japanese A&M CD of Ferguslie Park that sounds way better, so it IS possible.

18. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

One more that comes to mind: Walls have ears (or Ears have walls, as the US release was titled), the sole release of early 80s UK new wave band Blanket of secrecy.

As you can guess from the name, this trio's identity was hidden for years until a fan found out. Main man Peter Marsh even prepared a remaster of the tracks, along with the intended follow up that never saw the light of day in the 80s. Both albums are on iTunes and Spotify, in what sounds like a pretty good mastering. If only they would/could prepare a decent CD release...

19. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

The OST of "Nicholas and Alexandra"

[​IMG]

20. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Import only, IIRC

21. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but although the tracks all ended up on a compilation later, REM's Chronic Town has never been released as a standalone CD, as far as I know.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  22. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Asking to be released as a twofer...

Chip Taylor: Somebody Shoot Out The Jukebox and St Sebastian.

GerryO likes this.
  23. Flaming Torch

24. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

A twofer of John Stewart's Bombs away dream babies (the one with Gold) and Dream babies go Hollywood would also be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I know there has been a Turning music into gold comp that combined both albums on one disc, but it's OOP since the mid-nineties or so.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident