2018 - and still not on vinyl!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueJay, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Almost the entire Mendoza Line discography. Their debut EP was on 7" vinyl and they released a split 7" single with somebody, but other than that, all of their albums, EPs and singles are CD-only.

mishima's dog likes this.
  2. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I'd love to see the Jerry Garcia Live Series make it to vinyl.

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Were originals hard to come by? I know it was OOP on CD for a while (and probably is again).

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I always thought the problem with Plain was the fact that they didn't have the rights. Look at Tindersticks first album. The original LP has 22 tracks and the CD has 21 tracks. Plain's reissue LP has the same 21 tracks as the CD!

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Sundazed does a good job. AF often does a phenomenal one. I'm hoping for AF, or maybe Intervention Records, whose work on Stealers Wheel was superlative. I think the album warrants it. Despite it being released in 1969, it has an early SF vibe permeating all through it -- from the folk-rock, the jazzy flourishes, the hints of psych, a bit of country twang here and there -- it really is an archetypal late 1960s mix of styles. Man I love that record. The Charlatans' cover of Van Dyke Parks High Coin is my hands down favourite from among all the versions I've heard, going all the way back to Bobby Vee's 1965 take on the tune.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That's because they source the audio and artwork from the CDs. One of the reasons they should not be in this business.

Shane from Intervention said that he was unable to reissue Elliott Smith's Dreamworks albums because Plain had the rights tied up. This is a problem.

scotth likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

I wish someone could get the rights to do a nice press of Richard Buckner's Devotion + Doubt from 1997, that would be pretty special, great sounding CD, set of amazing musicians with the Giant Sand / Calexico guys, Lloyd Maines, JD Foster and Marc Ribot. Recorded mostly down at Wavelab in Tuscon. And maybe do the next one too, Since, both originally released on MCA. Both classics.

8. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Reissues of Buffalo Springfield and Buffalo Springfield Again in mono

9. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

Oh it did get a vinyl release in 2014. I didn't know.

10. I was wondering about this yesterday, coming upon our old original cassette version (I had offered my wife to make a home tape copy of our CD back then, but she likes 11 Tracks so much she insisted on owning the real thing to use in the car!). I can't believe Discogs doesn't list even one expensive Japanese vinyl version of this amazing album... Especially after Walter's passing...

fldveloce likes this.
  11. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Never saw a copy in my parts. I live in a smaller city where the pickin's can be slim.

12. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

13. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Various - Return of the Grievous Angel (Gram Parsons tribute with Whiskeytown, Wilco, Beck, etc.)
    Old 97s - Satellite Rides and Fight Songs
    North Mississippi All-Stars - Shake Hands with Shorty
    Whiskeytown - Faithless Street
    Scott Weiland - 12 Bar Blues

Dan C, dualstacker and perplexed like this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

That's a pretty nice tribute album, Emmylou did a great job getting it all together, compression pumped up just a touch too much on the CD but still sounds good. Never made it to vinyl (yet), right? Might be hard to get the rights for all those artists, some of them are very successful, but I'd love to see it too...

[​IMG]

15. dachada

dachada Senior Member

16. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Beulah - YOKO
    The Bad Plus - These Are the Vistas
    Helicopter Helicopter - Dogs with X-Ray Eyes
    Richard X. Heyman - Hey! Man
    Andrew Stockdale - Keep Moving
    Arcade Fire EP
    Banyan - Anytime At All
    Medeski, Martin & Wood - Shack-Man
    Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell - Begonias
    Chico Hamilton & Eric Dolphy - The Original Ellington Suite
    Essex Green - Cannibal Sea

And that Brightblack Morning Light LP needs a reissue badly - they show up on Discogs every once in a blue moon for like $80!

17. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Not VMP. Just release the album as a normal release. There's no reason to hide titles behind a subscription wall. It's fine for an exclusive color vinyl. But I really don't like that it was exclusive. A lot of the records just end up on eBay the next day at inflated prices.

scotth and ashlee5 like this.
  18. fabgear63

fabgear63 Forum Resident

Hi all
    Totally in for Kate Bush , PJ Harvey, and Sheryl Crow- Greatest Hits

Sam Phillips - Nonsuch titles, those would sound great on vinyl. I wish Martinis & Bikinis sounded better than it does, the packaging was top notch.

Maria McKee - Lone Justice vinyl fairly common, first solo is out there too. You Gotta Sin to get Saved only got an obscure Holland pressing; Life is Sweet never on vinyl. No hope for her post Geffen stuff.

Dan C, LoveandTheft and agundy like this.
  19. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Being someone that likes complete collections...I wish Smashing Pumpkins would finish their studio album reissues (Machina(reissue), Machina II (only 25 released the first go around, Zeitgeist (never on vinyl), and American Gothic (never on vinyl), along with the first three EP's from the planned Teargarden project.

agundy likes this.
  20. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Son Volt - Okemah
    only thing in their catalog not pressed to vinyl

Jack and Dan C like this.
  21. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I may be the only one on the forum, but I'd love to see a vinyl release of Tove Styrke's self-titled debut (2010). Fantastic, effervescent dance pop.

[​IMG]

22. quindembo

quindembo Forum Resident

A few jazz titles:
    Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages
    Roy Campbell Pyramid Trio - Ethnic Stew and Brew
    William Parker Quartet - O'Neals Porch
    Milford Graves - his 2 CDs on Tzadik

23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Morphine's The Night, their record released after Mark Sandman's death, was never pressed on vinyl.

Same for their first record on Dreamworks, Like Swimming. I would love to see both of these get good re-releases on LP.

Dave S and Leviethan like this.
  24. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

You’re in luck on this one, at least!

From this months Mojo:
    [​IMG]

sbsugar, Groovy and fldveloce like this.
  25. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Thank you both for your posts.

"Porcupine Tree, who the heck are Porcupine Tree?", I said to myself last night. Three hours later I had the colored vinyl of 'In Absentia' and 'Deadwing' ordered from Burning Shed and a whole lot more music to investigate.

Even with my slight aversion to the label 'prog rock' it's hard to believe I've never heard of Steven Wilson or any of his bands. That said prog rock is a rather limiting description of all that's going on here (as any fan would know already). I'm loving the great tunes that progress into rocking guitar pieces.

Anyway, thanks. :righton:

Chrome_Head and pinkrudy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.