2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A mixture of R & B, Gospel and Country that developed in the American south in the 1950's.

2. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

I predict: Ian Hunter...oh wait!

I predict: Mott the Hoople...oh wait!

Tree of Life and keyse1 like this.
  3. Kevin55

I won't get into a back and forth but you're confusing "Rock Music" (which is undefined) with "Rock & Roll".

4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Kate Bush isn't there? What?! I really hope she gets in. Her talent is unmatched for someone so young and just an amazing person. So great.

Radiohead is a given, they'll win for sure.

DHamilton, Mazzy and WolfSpear like this.
  5. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Those aren't terrible numbers but not great either.

For me though, the band ended with New Jersey. Somehow they never fully faded out of the light. They still manage to pull off #1 albums... Which is no small feat for a band their age.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Highly deserving artists who fundamentally shaped their respective fields: Judas Priest; Sister Rosetta Tharpe; Link Wray; The Meters

Worthy of serious consideration given their influence, popularity, and/or longevity: Radiohead; Moody Blues; The Cars

I would entertain arguments for Rage Against the Machine and The Cars

7. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

If Kate Bush gets in, I suspect she'll not only appear at the ceremony, but also perform live and feature a medley of songs from her first three albums. :D

8. Spoken like an out-of-touch parent during the '50's and '60's.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Respectfully,

Bill

9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Is this going to be another thread filled with people saying the RnR HoF is irrelevant then later pissing themselves over who got in?...

I think so...

mark winstanley, Shiver, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  10. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

So even Bon Jovi get a nod before Pat Benatar? At this rate Nickelback will get a f***ing nomination before she does...:cussing:

Would be great to see Nina Simone, Kate Bush and Eurythmics get some love, however.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    mark winstanley and Efus like this.
  11. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Of the list Sister Rosetta Tharpe shouldn't even be a question, she's a pioneer of the genre, everyone from Chuck Berry, to Little Richard and Elvis Presley took cues from her. The fact she wasn't inducted 25+ years ago is what's really strange.

12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Everyone wishes.

I bet she will plays Pull Out The Pin, Sat In Your Lap, and Get Out of My House...

:(

Northwind and Sammy Waslow like this.
  13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Well, if you wanna be that specific, most of the Hall of Fame shouldn't be there. I usually make that distinction, but given prior inductees, that'd be ridiculous.

14. If I had to choose five (and it's tough):

The Cars
    Radiohead
    Rage Against the Machine
    Nina Simone
    Link Wray

And it'd be hard to argue against some of the other nominees...

15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You just know Bon Jovi's been plotting this for many years like the businessman man he is - buddying up to all the right people, sending free tickets, donating to their favorite charities, sending nice birthday cards, being at the right events, being all charming and friendly, making jokes and fake laughing at unfunny jokes. Ugh.

Say It Right, Tree of Life and Murph like this.
  16. This is a fine take of rock 'n' roll's earliest influences. Fortunately for everyone, this was not a static definition. Otherwise, rock 'n' roll might be as narrow and dated as John Philip Sousa's marches.

Best,

Bill

17. Kevin55

OK, I agree with that. I guess "pop music influenced by Rock and Roll" is the museums standard. And then they add current trends in African American popular music to that. Plus some political considerations.

Which is fine - it's their museum.

18. Kevin55

Looking forward to this!!

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  19. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Sister Rosetta Thorpe
    Nina Simone
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

Steve Litos and mw1917 like this.
  20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think she'd be the only ever inductee in the RRHOF never to do a concert in the US. I think 1 song on SNL is 79ish is her only US performance of any kind.

seed_drill likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Ave they finally given up on doo wop acts?

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My understanding is that she doesn't fly. Makes it pretty unlikely she'd perform. I find it hard to imagine Radiohead at the ceremony either.

Oh well, if they induct Bon Jovi, they'll fill the Prudential Center.

23. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Some good choices there - Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Link Wray, Nina Simone and The Zombies. I remember reading an old Penguin Guide to Jazz and there wasn't even an entry for Nina. Well if they don't want her, we'll have her. She was an immense talent.
    Still waiting for Cliff Richard and The Shadows, Johnny Kidd and The Pirates and Billy Fury to get the nod. All successful, massively influential and deserving of recognition for pioneering the British Beat Group scene in the run-up to the Fab Four etc...
    I'm sure that Tony Hicks, Bobby Elliott, Roger Daltrey, PT and Wilko Johnson would be more than delighted to induct Johnny Kidd and The Pirates and as a member of the last Pirates line-up Nick Simper could get the induction he unfairly failed to receive when Deep Purple were celebrated.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Metal is so underrepresented in the Hall that I think Judas Priest and Rage have a legit shot.

25. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

So I guess this would be ineligible...

Murph likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.