2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The Zombies need to be in the R 'n R HoF if anyone does. As one of the last Brit. invasion groups they should still be able to perform better live than most other aging nominees...
    Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone (performing "without a net" just five years ago):

:cheers:
    Cat

2. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

Nah that's what Tom Morello's been doing while he's been part of the nominating committee. Tool should have been nominated long before Rage considering how fast Rage crashed and burned.

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Years ago, I used to have a vote for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (though I had neither write-in power nor nominating pull). This year's ballot is one of the strongest I've ever seen!

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is more of an "early influence" to me (why she's not in as such is beyond me), and Nina Simone is more of a jazz singer to me, but I could make a case for either.

The R&RHOF usually limited the voters' selections to about half the nominees, which you then had to put in rank order. For example, if the ballot allowed you to select eight of the nominees, your first choice got eight points, on down to one point for your eighth choice. Some I eliminated immediately as too fringe, lacking influence, or downright strange, but once I did that, I used to spend a long time on my selections.

Another perk of receiving an official ballot was the custom CD enclosed with it, featuring one selection from each of the nominees. I don't know how far back these discs go, but the last one I am aware of was for the 21st annual balloting, which took place in the fall of 2005 for 2006 induction. The last year I had the franchise (2006 for 2007), the CD was discontinued, and I don't know if it was ever resumed. This year's ballot would make for a killer CD playlist.

Zeki, jlf and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

The Mekons
    Mink deVille
    The Go-Betweens

5. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

LL Cool J jamming with Wayne Kramer, Thom Yorke and Justin Hayward on a version of Judas Priest's 'Breaking The Law' at the induction ceremony would be my dream scenario. Particularly if Graeme Edge were to recite a poem in the middle.

6. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

My 5 favorites: of those listed:
    1. Radiohead
    2. The Cars (stumped it's taken this long)
    3. Eurythmics
    4. Kate Bush (technically I like her more than the Cars and Eurythmics but for a RR Hall those 2 were bigger)...
    5. The Zombies (I prefer to Eurythmics but technically Eurythmics were bigger)

5 that will likely get in:
    1. Bon Jovi (yawn)
    2. Radiohead
    3. LL Cool J (whatever doesn't bother me)
    4. Nina Simone (she should make it)
    5. Link Wray

5 not even nominated that deserved to be in yrs ago
    1. Big Star (ridiculous they aren't in)
    2. Sonic Youth
    3. Def Leppard
    4. Joy Division
    5. Brian Eno

5 additional faves that are in my own rock hall not yet mentioned
    1. Harry Nilsson (maverick genius)

2. The Waterboys (lack the sales but they're amazing). Mike Scott is a genius.

3. Todd Rundgren (he's another maverick and while he tends to lean soft he might be the best guitarist not in the rock hall or tied with Fripp). A wizard a true star indeed

4. Sinead O'Connor. It's been 25 yrs since her famous SNL career suicide, but politics aside she was a massive talent. Her debut album alone is worthy (she's had a tough last few yrs).

5. The Flaming Lips--as a live act alone they are worthy...add in Priest, Clouds, Bulletin, Yoshimi and they are a personal lock in my book.

Descartridge and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

It reminds me a famous song of Michel Polnareff: "On ira tous au paradis" (We'll all go to paradise)

8. patel kismet

Céline Dion also has a lot of number 1

9. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

J. Geils Band and MC5 above all the rest. Then maybe Cars and Priest.

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not really. in the usa shes had 4 singles go to #1 and a total of 11 top 10 hits if we count the "we are the world 25" charity single she sang on . so the same as bon jovi

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Living not all that far from that silly R&R Hall Of Fame up in Cleveland, I have learned two things about the place. First, just like everything as large a business as this place is, there are HUGE politics involved as to who (and why), an artist gets nominated and thusly inducted and second, whatever's left of my first point, it's ALL about the $$$ and what each inductee will garner for them. So PLEASE read the following with that in mind! Last year was the first year that I actually wanted to be at the induction ceremony, but of course, it wasn't held in Cleveland (my biggest pet peeve about this Hall) and even if it was, tickets went mostly to only "industry" folks. As I've said many, many times, that Rock Hall is NOT for the fans of music, it's for the industry people to hold a yearly party for the great job that they are doing, selling 100 CD's a year at Walmart & Target and for allowing us to download crappy sounding music files on i-Tunes.

This years nominees on paper are fairly lackluster, in my opinion. Again, the politics almost scream out with this years nominees. Looking at the list ...

Bon Jovi. (Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the "cash cow" band of the year! Chicks dig this band, case closed. Husbands and boyfriends just got their wives and girlfriends actually interested in going to the hall, with this nominee alone!). If they don't get in this year, I will be shocked.
    Kate Bush (If ever an artist who has a huge following, but do those fans matter to their plan of making money in the long run). She'll get in eventually.
    The Cars. (A most interesting band, plus add in the local touch of the late Benjamin Orr and who knows what may happen?)
    Depeche Mode (Here's another band that never mattered much to me, but they have a huge following. I'm just not sure that they would draw huge crowds to the Hall?)
    Dire Straits. (Clear best choice, in my opinion, of a worthy band to be inducted this year!)
    Eurythmics. (Always fun to hear a song on the radio by Annie and Dave, but in reality, who really cares if they get nominated?)
    J. Geils Band. (Cue Dan Fogelberg ... "The leader of the band has died" and when he did, how big a deal was that? I'm NOT trying to be mean as believe me, I'm a fan! I'm just trying to use the Hall's type of thinking, when an artist gets inducted. Naturally, we real fans of this band know Peter, Seth, Jay and Magic Dick, but to the rest of the fans of "Centerfold", they are a faceless band and they probably won't get in very easily)
    Judas Priest. (I know next to nothing about this band, so no comment, except if they do get in, "They've got another thing comin'"
    LL Cool J. (Yo, Yo, Yo ... mama said knock you out! If you want to keep this cash cow Hall interesting to the rappers, you best nominate Sir Cool J)
    MC5. (To me, this band is not famous for their music, as much as for yelling out the classic ROCK & ROLL term, "Kick out the jams, mother f#$%@ers". The question is, will THAT be enough? It will certainly make that cool "CBGB's" awning far more historic to those who don't understand it.)
    The Meters. (Classic band that deserves to be in the Hall)
    Moody Blues. (Let's face it, the Hall HATES this band and they have been fighting and kicking for years to keep them out, but it's almost time for them to finally give in)
    Radiohead. (Certainly a band who have earned a huge following and a place in the hall. One of those bands that I would place a bet on, if I were a gambling man!)
    Rage Against the Machine. (REALLY? I wouldn't count on it fans of this band, but I've been wrong before)
    Rufus featuring Chaka Khan. (Head scratcher nominee of the year! I'm not denying that this band delivered a few gems, but are they Hall worthy?)
    Nina Simone. (Love the late Nina Simone, but she comes with a LOT of baggage, much of which was brought on by herself. A VERY interesting nominee, all the same)
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe. (Old, old school nominee of the year. Rosetta is the type of artist that gives a place like this some cred.)
    Link Wray. (My deepest apologies to the fans of the man, but I just don't see Link getting in. Again Link doesn't equal $$$)
    The Zombies. (Cleveland has a pretty tight relationship with Colin and Rod, as they seem to always be touring this area. Great band and truly worthy)

12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Um.....
    Ok then..

13. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Can't believe MC5 aren't already in!

14. patel kismet

Yes, in the USA only . She sold more than 200 millions in the world (as Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Bee Gees, M. Carey or Metallica ...). Bon Jovi (more than 100 millions). (Wik) According to Los Angeles Times, she's the artist that generated, during the last decade, the highest revenues (748 millions $). In 2017, she is, after Madonna, the most fortunate female singer (800M $) Wiki . And she's the singer of the Titanic ! This is really rockanrawl !

15. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Proof is in the pudding.
    Lots of lots of good ones here, but some of the latest groups and names can wait for these worthies first

Link Wray
    Moody Blues
    Zombies
    Nina Simone
    Sister Rosetta

Cars, Jovi...Meters
    But the listed above are the solid choices

Kevin55 likes this.
  16. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Sister Rosetta would be my first choice, given her huge influence on Rock & Roll guitar. Link Ray second for the same reason. These two should get in before anyone else on the list and it's criminal that they aren't already there.

After that, MC5 and The Zombies I reckon - again hugely influential bands. Moody Blues should probably qualify too but I personally can't stand them so it's hard to be objective there.

The rest is a crap shoot - I love Kate and the Cars and would love to see them in but there are other bands on the list that are equally worthy. The one that has me most flummoxed is Nina. I do love her music so but I'm not sure I would call it rock. Maybe some of her more militant pieces from the Sixties would qualify but she will always be a jazz singer to me. As someone else said, I think nominating Nina is just a way to give this silly business some cred.

17. Matthew Tate

i'm honestly not even sure though why celine dion was mentioned as shes not nominated for the HOF

18. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Kate
    The Cars
    Dire Straits

19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Bon Jovi
    Depeche Mode
    The Cars
    Radiohead
    Dire Straits

20. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

My favorite 5:
    The Cars
    Eurythmics
    J. Geils Band
    Moody Blues
    The Zombies

Who I think has the best chance to get in:
    Kate Bush
    The Cars
    Dire Straits
    Eurythmics
    The Meters
    Radiohead
    Rage Against the Machine
    Dire Straights
    LL Cool J

Biggest snubs:
    The Pixies
    The Cure
    Devo
    Tommy James
    T. Rex
    Def Leppard

Worst choice for nominating: Bon Jovi

Also considering all the snubs and even other snubs not mentioned I think having Rage Against the Machine get a nod is an inside job.

kyfloyd likes this.
  21. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

No Richard Thompson, no peace

22. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Of course as the revelations of the late 90's showed, Sinead was right and was owed a huge apology

23. Matthew Tate

add grand funk railroad and jethro tull to your snubs

SirMarc, SKean and ampmods like this.
  24. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I made a poll for this: Rock Hall 2018 poll - pick 5

Old man rant:
    On another note you know what makes me crazy? Stories about people who are either nominated or weren't where they say that the artist has been eligible since any year prior to 1986. Because there were no inductees before 1986. So you can't be eligible since 1963 as the rock hall didn't even exist then!

25. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

You know when I think of important rock and roll artists, I don't think of King Crimson or Roxy Music or Brian Eno.....I think of LL Cool J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.