2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Hey, Sid Vicious went in with the Pistols, so... yeah, sure. But if you're putting them in, definitely let Hugh in, I mean, you let the Grateful Dead induct their lyricist.

2. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

3. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

This is the FIFTH snub for Geils...gotta be a record. Peter Wolf should be in, no question in my mind.

Kevin55 likes this.
  4. blueslover99

I agree here. Metal is talked about as being snubbed by the hall, but many rock sub genres and scenes have been ignored as well. I can't believe Lonnie Donegan isn't in. Every British band of the 60s cites him as a main influence!

seed_drill likes this.
  5. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Chic - 11 nominations

6. blueslover99

Ouch!!! I forgot about that.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Todd has gone out of his way to say that he has no interest in being inducted. When he delivered the commencement address at Berklee, he paraphrased LBJ saying "If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve."

He has not elaborated on his objections to the Hall to my knowledge. I agree he is richly deserving of induction, but he may feel otherwise.

keyXVII and Galley like this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Like I said, 2017 was pretty high demand, with a ton of Pearl Jam fans, and was amazing from start to finish. I can’t fathom any classic rock fan being bored. And I wish I could have been in Cleveland for 2015, would have loved seeing Green Day, Joan Jett, Paul and Ringo, and John Mayer/Gary Clarke Jr/Jimmie Vaughan.

9. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I saw Wayne Kramer open for Cheap Trick awhile back.

Wayne knows Hard Rock.

The audio mixing and balance for his guitar was perfect.

Details like that don' just happen by accident.

I'd vote for Wayne Kramer to be in the Hall.

Wayne is the real deal, imo.

10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Bon Jovi is in, and The Meters & The Zombies are not. Something is really wrong with that picture.

And, The Cars? They’re good and deserving but, did they really influence anything? Or anyone?

The afore-mentioned bands had a huge influence, and the fact that it goes unrecognised is a sad statement, and paints a terrible portrait of HoF voters who are oblivious, apparently, to the greater contribution and importance these two groups can rightly claim.

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

IIRC Garcia told them if they wanted the GD to be involved, they had to approve his list of inductees. He left off the other primary lyricist, John Barlow, who along with Hunter was considered a band member with a vote on band decisions etc.

Garcia still skipped the induction ceremony.

12. While I agree with you that it is a shame that the Meters and the Zombies are not in the Rock Hall of Fame yet, it's difficult to argue against Bon Jovi and the Cars. I'm not a fan of Bon Jovi, nor am I a dedicated fan of the Cars, but these two bands did stand out as two of the most popular artists of their time. It's difficult to simply overlook these bands. They were certainly more impactful in their eras than either the Meters or the Zombies. This electing hall has certainly had its flaws, and hopefully they will eventually find a collective conscience to induct your favorites, as well as other less popular but highly influential bands such as the Smiths and Bad Brains.

All the Best,

Bill

13. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Most people with a wide ranging interest in music and knowledge of of rock n' roll history have heard of Link Wray, or at least should have.

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They even left Link off the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

What sort of universe do we live in where Mark Knopfler gets in before Hank Marvin? Rolling Stone wouldn't know Rock n Roll if it bit them on the backside.

mrbobdobalina and Andrew J like this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm surprised some people here don't care for the Cars getting in. They are a no-brainer to me. They set the tone for 80's new wave and paved the way for a lot of 90's alt bands' sound. Plus their catalog of music is really good.

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Are they estranged?

17. MikeVielhaber

More accurately, Days of Future Passed through Octave.

sewerdog likes this.
  18. MikeVielhaber

I do think the Cars were influential, but is the main criteria influence? Is that more important than what the band itself accomplished and the quality of their music?

I've never even heard the name 'The Meters' until this very post. And I know a few songs from the Zombies. But you're saying their induction should be top priority based on influence, right?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  19. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

I think this is a solid class, but it blows my mind that the Zombies keep getting passed over. I can say the same thing for the Meters and several others, but the Zombies absence is the biggest remaining head scratcher for me. I don't even mind Bon Jovi being there. I don't particularly enjoy them, but their success is undeniable and I do think that they had influence on their era of rock music. Them being there isn't a problem for me. Them being there before the Zombies, the Meters, etc. is a BIG problem.

20. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

Um, a lot of people here seem to be forgetting that The Cars kicked of the Whole New Wave rock scene, or at least brought it to mainstream attention.

Galley and MikeVielhaber like this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No complaints here about the 2018 class. I am especially pleased that The Moody Blues and The Cars are being inducted. It's about time for The Moody Blues.

soundboy, keyXVII, Galley and 2 others like this.
  22. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

A couple of years ago, David Knopfler said in an interview he was no longer even on speaking terms with Mark.

23. They had better let Patrick Moraz go.

24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The day that Link Wray is inducted...I will stop calling out the R&RHOF as a complete farce.
    Until then: Fugg-it-abou-dit.

25. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Still blows my mind that J Geils is not in. The have been successful. Great live album as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.