2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This thread is a microcosm of the voters for the hall. Look at everyone in this thread who says they've never heard of Link Wray, The Meters, The MC5 or Sister Rosettta Tharpe. And this is a supposedly a music board.

Howard Stern's producer, Gary Dell' Abate, has a vote and said on the show that he voted for Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits and The Moody Blues. He didn't even use his fifth vote because he thought it was an otherwise weak ballot. In other words, he voted for the four most popular "classic rock" artists on the ballot, the same four who got inducted.

2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It's true about the people with a vote. I think it's also true with people with nominating powers. It isn't a perfect system and thus the whole thing has it's flaws. But I think that Dave Robinson from the Cars put it well in Rolling Stone:
    "If it's going to be sort of historically viable, I'm not sure what their standards are or anything about who they vote for or how they vote and why. At different times I was suspect at who got in and who didn't, but when I went and looked at who they inducted I was actually pretty impressed. There were so many things I liked and things I felt were important enough to be there. For the most part, we're in good company."

And of course Chris Frantz from years ago: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and What It Really Means | HuffPost

Hep Alien and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Apparently Rolling Stone magazine readers voted Starship's Built this City the worst of all time. Personally, I can't think of a more apt comparison to Rolling Stone Magazine... a bunch of entitled San Francisco youth stick two fingers up at the police for a couple of years, then a decade or so later, having swapped their kaftans for chinos, make the mistake of believing they're still cool, thus alienating future generations from discovering what rock n roll actually is. That was like 30 years ago?

To damn Dire Straits with faint praise, Brothers in Arms is about as leftfield as Rolling Stone has been able to handle since 1985.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  4. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not to be pedantic but...William Tecumseh Sherman, not LBJ.

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

With The Meters, it’s mainly influence that should get them there. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and many jambands owe them big-time.

With The Zombies it’s both influence and hits. They were invited to be a headliner at Woodstock on the strength of Time Of The Season.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Well. Looks like Todd may not get inducted.

7. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

That's how I feel about the MC5.

Lightworker likes this.
  8. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Deserving future induction. This batch is
    60s artists so far overlooked

Shangri-las - this group is one of the most popular girl groups. Think they will finally get a nom. When? This is a huge oversight.

Paul Revere and the Raiders - great string of rocking singles.
    Johnny Rivers - see above. Prob. A long shot
    Dionne Warwick - this is overdue. Expect a nomination in near future
    Marvelletes- hit making Motown girl group.
    Jackie DeShannon- one of earliest female singer songwriters. Longshot?
    Leslie Gore- prominent singer in the 60s. Don't know if this will happen.
    Lulu- see above.

LandHorses, Lightworker and Hep Alien like this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

In the future, they shouldn't even both to assemble a committee and have a voting process. Just ask Baba Booey!

10. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

It'd sure save a lot of time and effort.

11. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Cool list. My unsolicited opinion about them...
    Shangri-las (and the Marvelletes too) - maybe. They certainly have the hits and the influence. But... as time marches on here I think it's going to get tougher for girl groups not already in to get nominated or inducted. Who has a better chance in a couple years... them or Sheryl Crow for instance? I hope they get in though.

Paul Revere and the Raiders + Johnny Rivers - both certainly had lots of hits. But both were probably considered a bit more pop and less of it's time rock. It's not a fair distinction but neither acts would seem to have enough gravity in the world today to make the 'committee' even pay attention to them to consider them.

Jackie DeShannon - she's the perfect example of why I think it would be better to induct records or songs (or tours/misc.) into the hall instead of people. As a person I don't think she has a chance. But her records and songs certainly should. long shot for sure.

Leslie Gore - I personally think she has a better shot than DeShannon but... still a long shot. If only it were records because "It's My Party," "You Don't Own Me" and "Judy's Turn to Cry" seem like rock solid locks to me.

Dionne Warwick has an issue to overcome. She is undeniably one of the greatest singers of the 60s but probably quite a few folks in the 'committee' would first think of her as a 'psychic friend' and perhaps even remember her issues with charity funds. I think she should be in but probably won't be.

Lulu - I personally think she has no chance whatsoever. And the #1 reason is because she's not an American. The rock hall has a tendency to ignore all but the biggest stars of the UK (or anywhere else).

My 60s list:

The Move - no chance.

The Monkees - a real strong maybe. But only after Wenner passes on or is institutionalized.

Cliff Richard and the Shadows - no way = UK

Tommy James & the Shondells - 50/50 shot. I think if Tommy actually releases his movie he might have chance.

T. Rex - Absolutely should be in. No doubt at all in my mind. I think there is a really good chance that this will happen as they run out of viable newer stars.

12. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Unfortunately not enough guitar on that record.

mdent likes this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm actually surprised the Hall didn't do a Deep Purple on the Moodies and include Denny Laine and Patrick Moraz. I think the Moody Blues got lucky here and it's only 1 lineup. However, the Moraz era is worthy, because the Moody Blues reinvented themselves and were popular from it. Heck, it's the Moraz era that got me on board. Strange times indeed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Galley and seed_drill like this.
  14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I agree with the future RRHOF inductions of the Shangri-las and Dionne Warwick,

Dylancat likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Todd's been contrary his entire career, and has shot himself in the foot so many times it's a wonder the man can walk.

And I guess Johnson was quoting Sherman.

16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

It seems like any more all you had to do is make x number of records and be around y number of years and you're in. Doesn't matter whether or not that band added anything special to the music or that you were even necessarily a rock band. The RRHOH is becoming more like a museum form of "The Encyclopedia of Popular Music". Instead of RRHOF it should be called TEOPM.

17. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I would have said the same thing about The Dave Clark Five, and yet they got in. And the Raiders albums are far superior!

ampmods, Synthfreek, Deano6 and 5 others like this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

You forgot Chubby Checker, who was arguably the biggest artist in the world for a couple of years. I know Hank Ballard did the original and is already in there, but there would not have been a twist craze without Chubby Checker.

19. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Is Dusty Springfield in there yet? She needs to be.

20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes. Dusty is in Hall

keyXVII and Lightworker like this.
  21. Lightworker

Paul Revere & The Raiders were one of the most influential American bands of the mid-1960s.
    Only The Byrds and The Jan & Dean/Beach Boys axis were even in the same ballpark.

Deano6, LandHorses and seed_drill like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

This is ironic, as Paul Revere and the Raiders were about as hard and heavy as it got in the mid 60s. Only The Kinks or The Who were as punchy, as far as mainstream bands go. Yeah, some of their fellow Washingtonians were heavier, but I don't see The Sonics or The Wailers getting in.

ampmods, LandHorses and mrbobdobalina like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Todd Rundgren should be in the Rock Hall of Fame if only for this:

Edit: Had "Hall" as "Fall". Todd never fell, in spite of climbing that thing night after night and doing a backflip off of it.

24. Lightworker

"Baa-Baa-Bowie...Baa-Baa-Bowie...Baa-Baa-Bowie!"

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The DC5 had some great singles, but gawd Clark rivaled Berry Gordy for being a cheapskate on those albums. Most clock in at < 20 minutes.

bekayne, Pennywise and Lightworker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.