2018's David Bowie box set 4: Dancing With The Big Boys? - (Speculation Thread)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeterVanDoffs, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

haha that slipped my mind somehow. swear I saw someone else talking about 1 cd for it. still with the amount of remixes that could constitute re:call 4 it would save space in that regard though of course ultimately you use a LP here that is one less LP for elsewhere if sticking to 13 as the max.

they should just put us out of our misery and announce the dang thing!

2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

ultimately it did manage to bring Re:call 3 down to 1 cd length though so I suppose slipping 2 cds into one sleeve or getting a nice heroes sleeve I prefer the latter. guess main question is would it have made the vinyl have to be 3 LPs at 87 minutes woulda been pushing it probably and have made side sequencing more difficult.

3. Caruso65

Caruso65 Forum Resident

Didn’t he record a bunch of shows for the Sound and Vision Tour? I wonder why none were ever released,
    any chance one of those is included in the box or would that exceed the number of discs from
    the previous boxes?

4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Remembering the 80s, most of these remixes hardly had any involvement of the artist. How many of you are really interested in all these remix versions?

FourWalledWorld and sortvinyl like this.
  5. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I feel like if the goal is every officially released version they should be included. was bowie intimately involved in the station to station French promo only edit? I am much more interested in some crazy 12" remix(even if it sucks) then a plain 7" edit.

acknowledging of course that for most of these alternate versions they are more for the completist than truly essential recordings but that is the carrot to get us to buy the same stuff again and again.

6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Last year's box set was announce on July 12, the year before it was July 26. Five Years was announced in late June. Would imagine we'll get something next week.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Stranger things have happened. :shrug:

Other thoughts: Malcolm Pollack was the original recording engineer, and he’s done his share of mixing in his career.

Also, Bob Clearmountain was the mixing engineer on that album, and I would be that he could do a better, “less 80s” mix now.

8. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Perhaps one in this box and one in the next? Or an RSD release?

9. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Day In Day Out (Spanish Version)

Pretty Pink Rose

10. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Oh man, you're right. Didn't think of that. But still you never know though. They could photoshop the ciggy out of his mouth or use something from the same session, like what was already suggested:

11. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I think it would've been better to forego the "Heroes" EP on the last box and put all those on Re:Call 3 and leave the Baal EP as a separate disc altogether. The EP is honestly the only disc out of any of the sets so far I haven't listened to in full because not that I don't love the song itself but I don't want to listen to it four times in a row. Or a better idea would've been to put the Peter And The Wolf album on there.

On another note, I wonder if the '82 single edit of the soundtrack version of "Cat People" will be the first track on Re:Call 4 ...

12. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I have a feeling they're going to stick to mainly (if not exclusively) 7" versions/edits/mixes on the ReCall disc(s) leaving the 12" versions for later "Deluxe Editions" of the individual albums. There may be the odd exception (as there was with the longer Cat People on the previous box rather than the single edit) but for the most part, if it didn't appear on a 7" it won't be there. Also if its an instrumental version/mix of a vocal song I also can't imagine it being included.

They seem to be married to 13LPs per box and if they wanted to be truly all inclusive they could probably even make a 13LP box out of just NLMD and its era alone 1986-88 - and I can't see them doing that. Could you imagine? This box being 1983-85, and next year's box being 1986-88. :yikes:

Its probably quite do-able as 13LPs each if they go all out and include every commercially released version of every song, but I'm sure they won't, so...I'd say it'll be exclusively (with a small number - maybe 1-3 seemingly random and confusing exceptions) the 7" versions for the ReCall disc(s).

So my final prediction is:

Let's Dance
    Serious Moonlight (2 or 3LP)
    Tonight
    Dance (Unreleased LP)
    NLMD (hard to guess what they'll do about Too Dizzy - maybe include it and make this match the original LP, or leave it off which would free up some space on the vinyl to include the longer CD versions of some songs :shrug:)
    NLMD (New Mix)
    Glass Spider (3LP)
    Recall 7" Versions/b-sides/select soundtrack songs (the ones that were singles - though possibly presented in their full album versions instead like Cat People was on the previous box) (2 or 3LP)

So they either squeeze Serious Moonlight onto 2 LPs and make ReCall 3 LPs, or instead they do the opposite, making Serious Moonlight 3LPs and squeezing the ReCalls to 2 LPs, since for some reason it seems to me that sticking to 13 LPs in these boxes is more important to them than what they actually include on the 13 LPs, so... :shrug:

Dbstay likes this.
  13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

He/his estate doesn't own Peter & The Wolf. It wasn't in any way his project. He was hired to do it (the producer's third choice to do it IIRC). He did it as a gift/to impress his young son. So unless he wanted it included on the last box as a gift/to impress his young grandson (Duncan's child, born shortly after Bowie's death) AND the estate wanted to pay the licensing fee to include it...

The Heroes foreign language tracks (if they had to be included at all) made sense as an EP, since each side of the EP was exclusively one language - IIRC one side had 2 German sung versions, and the other side had 2 French sung versions. So no one is forced to sit through four versions of Heroes in a row. You can pick your preferred foreign language and just listen to that side, or ignore the EP completely if you're not a fan of foreign language singing. On the ReCall LPs they would have taken up one full side (though I suppose that side of the LP could be ignored if you don't like foreign language versions, but could be a minor annoyance for those who only want to hear one of the two foreign languages. It certainly makes more aesthetic sense to split Heroes over two sides of an EP, since they are two different languages, unlike 'Baal' which on EP is what only like 5-6 minutes per side and gives no benefit to the listener in being presented that way - quite the opposite in fact - its kind of a PITA having to flip over a record after 5-6 minutes (especially when its a 12") At least the Heroes EP was about 10 minutes a side (which is nearly twice as long as Baal is.) Actually Baal is pretty short still as one full side of an album (11-ish minutes). If they wanted to not be so precious about it they could have stuck Alabama Song at the end of the Baal side of ReCall to get that LP side up to about 15 minutes and free up some vinyl space for something else (since like Baal, Alabama Song was also composed by Brecht, not to mention 'Whiskey Bar' appears in the lyrics of the opening 'Baal's Hymn')

Adding the Cat People single version to this box is an interesting idea, but the only possible way I could see it happening is if there was significant fan outcry towards the label about its omission from the previous box - so in other words - highly unlikely.

14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

But the previous box proved that wasn't the goal (they left off a legitimate 7" version of Cat People) and the previous boxes hinted that completeness wasn't the goal (a handful of barely different redundancies were omitted).

Some of these 7" single versions were hits in their country of release, so they hold some legitimate value to those people. However that value is negated somewhat with so many "fake single edit recreations" shoddy modern editing/editing a stereo version to "fake" an original mono single, etc...

Those 12" singles are sure to come out at some point - probably on individual deluxe editions of the 80s/90s albums. How else are they going to sell the core albums yet again!

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My prediction: Most, if not, all, of the 12" mixes will come out as downloads provided to people who purchased the box. They'll simply be erased from the box equation that way.

16. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I saw him twice on that tour, and to put it kindly, he really wasn't at his best. He was also under some personal stress and it just wasn't a great tour... at least from my experience and many others.

jhm likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I agree, the decision to include a single disc for heroes, and the embed the Baal material on Recall, was strange, and ultimately a poor decision. Baal should have had its own disc.

The more I'm reading the likely contents of this box, the more depressed I'm getting. :D

Colinjpush likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This works for me.

19. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Just as an illustration of the 80's popularity which doesnt on the whole get reflected here; I went to a Bowie tribute act concert last night, opening act was a T-Rex tribute act and the demographic was mostly 55+, and mostly affluent. Most people remained seated (it was an open air picnic type concert) during T-Rex, so most people there were Bowie fans, casual or not, or at least came to see the Bowie act.

They covered his early material, and the audience seemed pretty converse with the songs and lyrics - so most people, perhaps unsurprisingly given the average age, knew his very early output. Admittedly it was towards the end of the set when they did Lets Dance, but when they did virtually the whole audience was up, dancing, singing and clapping to it.

Commercially I thought this set will be more popular than the previous ones, because in the non-music forum world there is a lot of love for the Lets Dance album particularly, but also the other 80s singles. After last night I am almost certain of it. Maybe not the vinyl box, as I think the vinyl revival has yet to grasp the more casual older listener, but the cd box definitely.

20. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I am also 99% sure there will be a Nile Rodgers mix of the Let's Dance album, but its possible this will be held back for the next RSD. They released the Chic/Rodgers mix of Diana last RSD, and we know he was involved with the Let's Dance demo around the same time that he would have been working on something for this box set.

21. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Perhaps a Nile remix of Black Tie?!

22. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I wonder if they thought that Baal would sell better separately as Heroes has been released as a picture disc single and also the disc with the German issue of Rolling Stone magazine during the last year.
    Baal maybe a more attractive lone release than another Heroes.
    I’m not sure what the sales are for the Baal 10” and the Christiane F red vinyl that came out at the end of June..?

Colinjpush likes this.
  23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I don't know the numbers but Christian F was number 5 for the week 6 July for vinyl in the UK. I agree about Baal being a better standalone than Heroes given how many releases it has had recently.

Colinjpush likes this.
  24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Unbroadcast Time Will Crawl, TOTP 18th June 1987

theMess, TonyCzar and Vaughan like this.
  25. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Any idea why the broadcasting was cancelled ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.