£24,840! To see Adele!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pastafarian, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The answer is to stop internet selling unfortunately. Make people queue round the block. This is what the Wimbledon tennis tournament continues to do so you get a ticket at reasonable price if you are prepared to make the effort. That would exclude the rich concert 'event' posers. Also no phones allowed in and crush any found hidden on the person. The madness has to stop!

2. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

In 1999 I went to see the Stones at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. This was the beginning of the era when tickets in the lower bowl went for $300 - actually $300.50 was the exact price. I got my ticket off a scalper. I told him I wasn't going to pay no $300. I offered him $150 and he took it. He obviously had picked up a $300 ticket for less than $150. During the show, all I could think to myself was What could possibly be worth this much money? And I had got in for half the face value. I've never paid more since. If you're asking more; you're asking too much. Got into Stones in 2013 on the Lucky Dip tickets ($85) and got upgraded. All other shows I go to, I am paying in the $100 range as the max. And that's too much.

3. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

If they made it an even £25,000 then I would consider it. But I'd want the money up front and in singles so I could roll around in it.

4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Weird. I thought the combination of a Ticketmaster monopoly, legal scalping, multiple after-market ticket sites, and a business model that rewards artists for selling premium tickets at inflated prices.... Would someone result in ticket prices going DOWN, not up.

Huh. Should've paid more attention in that Economics class.

5. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

And for many of them the music is secondary to "the event"........

6. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Won't happen. I've been to a number of shows where 30% or more of the tickets were freebies
    or heavily discounted. Ticketbastard took advantage of their settlement to dump a boatload of
    "free" seats to concerts that weren't selling well........

7. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Was it really that much? Or are you talking scalper prices?

8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, pay them in old Pound coins, the day before they cease to be legal tender.

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ticket cost £2.50, don't know what 'scalper' price means:confused:

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

£24k+ for a concert ticket pretty much defines what is currently wrong with society as a whole, imo. Capitalism has bankrupt morals, and without that counter-balance, it's just rotten.

Not that I'd leave home to watch Adele under any circumstances.........

11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Adele 21 has logged 319 weeks on the Billboard 200. It now has surpassed Tapestry as the longest stay on the chart by a female singer.
    These last 2 shows oughta be somethin', since another retirement seems to be in the cards.

bob60 likes this.
  12. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I probably asked for that but the glut of female artists we have around now can't hold a candle, to Kate, Bjork, Siouxsie, Dusty, the last great commercial hope was Amy and she left us much too soon.

I find her so MOR and she just doesn't move me at all, to be so massive you have to be a guess these days.

bob60 and wrighty47 like this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...for only ONE DELL!

14. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

$250 is almost 2 weeks of work for me!

bob60 likes this.
  15. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Scalpers are the people who horde tickets in order to sell at premium prices. Must be a uniquely American term.

16. zen

zen Senior Member

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

18. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

In answer to the original question, the most I have ever paid was £140 for Kraftwerk. A bargain for my last chance to see the electronic Beatles :oops:

As for Adele...no matter what you think of her music (and I personally think it is execrable), it is a good thing, surely, that she is helping to keep real record sales alive.

Or is it? Discuss!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.