24: Legacy - FOX Orders Pilot With Completely New Cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Jan 23, 2016.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

Yeah, I would have given this a chance if they had made Yvonne the lead. But the previews I saw for what they went with haven't enticed me to bother at all.

noname74 likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

keifer sutherland simply set the bar too high, this kid doesn't have the acting chops to pull it off.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wouldn't say Keifer's acting has much range either, but he does have charismatic screen presence, which goes a long way.

kwadguy and videoman like this.
  4. videoman

videoman Forum Resident

Was a big fan of the original, but not watching. The reunion season a couple of years ago only proved to show how dated the show actually is, and while the format is something that could be timeless, I'm not really counting on the original producers being able to pull it off since the reunion season was pretty lame.

And didn't I see Tony in the previews? How many times did that guy get killed off, anyway?

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Heh, heh, no, it can't be timeless, by definition. :D

videoman likes this.
  6. videoman

videoman Forum Resident

The "in real time" premise is something that is a really great idea for a TV series. But even "24" essentially dropped it fairly early on. The first couple of seasons had bits of real life concerns like the characters needing to eat and drink or drive from one place to another in the appropriate amount of time which made the show more fun to watch. But after awhile the writers and producers apparently felt all those concerns were too constraining and after a few seasons there was really no difference between the story taking place in one 24-hour day or spread out over a few weeks and it really wasn't much different from any other cops-and-robbers show.

Deesky likes this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's right, but they kept the conceit going with the countdown clock and the multi-panels showing different scenes 'in real time' (which were mostly people standing around and staring into the middle distance or at a screen). It' was a very good branding technique, if nothing else.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

They took lots of liberties with reality, but the point where I thought "oh come on" was when someone detonated a nuclear bomb outside of LA and the reaction wasn't total pandemonium and panic in the streets.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The recent episode was the last time. Not even laughable (guess what, the baddies got away with the thumb drive after all. Surely that's no spoiler...)

Is there any significance to this being from Fox and many of the baddies seemingly being middle-easterners?

Deesky and vernon like this.
  10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Bad, bad, bad. I only made it through 1.5 episodes. Oh well, more room on my DVR.

John K.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did you ever watch the Kiefer Sutherland version? There were also many middle-eastern terrorists as villains in that show, but not some of them were Americans who sympathized with radical causes overseas, some for good reasons. And a major part of the Sutherland 24 had to do with a borderline insane, paranoid President who was behind all kinds of skullduggery, and eventually he was removed from office; in a later episode, the ex-President did more sneaky deals with the Russians, and wound up trying to kill himself. There were also some major treachery involving double-agents in the CTU, most of whom were mercenary Americans just working for the highest bidders. So not all the villains were middle-eastern.

There was also a season where the entire plot revolved around a Mexican drug cartel that managed to get hold of a horrific ebola-like virus that was going to be released in Los Angeles. So again... not a middle-eastern villain.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, almost to the bitter end.

Guess I'm relating my question to more recent events, and the Fox News angle.

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Forum Resident

I am enjoying the heck out of this reboot. Yeah, I miss Kiefer but `Dr. Dre' is okay. The
    female high-school student/teacher storyline is the best.......really digging that.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's true that the executive producers behind 24 are fairly right-wing in terms of politics, but I think it's fair to say they weren't racist in terms of who the terrorists could be week to week. They weren't always middle-eastern people, and there were plenty of nutcases from North America who wreaked havoc (including traitors inside CTU). The plots were very far-fetched right to the edge of believability, and sometimes crossed the line, but I thought it was a hoot most of the time.

I still laugh over Sutherland throwing the woman out the window in that last season. Nope, no trial, no arrest -- boom, out the window you go. :righton:

The Hermit and riverclown like this.
  15. riverclown

riverclown Forum Resident

I remember liking season 8 a lot, even though it was way over the top, but I can't remember that scene. But I'm sure she deserved it! LOL I'm going to have to re-watch season 8.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

That scene is from the 12 episode reboot......or S09.

17. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

actually, i still record it, but i only watch the couple of minutes before each commercial break and then the last 5 minutes of the show.....you'd be surprised at how you miss just about nothing by doing this, yet get the gist of the entire show. i do that with 'colony" too.

it takes about 15 minutes and you right on track.

18. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I always thought they had the worst HR department in the history of HR departments. :D

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Absolutely nothing happened in the latest episode. (the presidential guy even said 'Don't do anything until I get there'). A waste of an hour.

20. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

i have it down pat now.

1 - i skip the 'previously on" part

2 - watch the first 1 -2 minutes to get the gist of what is happening.

3 - watch the last minute or so before each commercial break.

4 - watch the last 5 - 7 minutes.

you get the whole show in about 10 -15 minutes

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That sounds too much like hard work.

John B Good likes this.
  22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

That was my favorite, too. I was surprised they ended that so quickly.

I'm enjoying this season and cannot believe some think it is too slow.

23. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I started watching this show with so much promise, thinking that it would be at least as good as the last 24 with Kiefer Sutherland in London. Now I'm basically hate-watching this like a sad masochist. It's a shame because it's such a waste of good talented actors.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It did help keep the property values lower out in Valencia.

Wow! I thought I was the only person who figured that out. I just did it with 6 episodes of Agents of SHIELD, and I was totally up to speed on those shows in about an hour. Saved a lotta time.

25. marcb

marcb Forum Resident

Good talented actors?