24 - Season/Series 7 - Discussion (Spoilers Inside)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I was half waiting for her to unleash Tony on him.

2. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

No. It was stated that the treatment would put the donor at risk and that’s why Jack told Kim he wouldn’t risk a loved one to save his life. You can read the episode recap on the Fox website (1-2am).

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

You don't think there'd be at least some reluctance to implicate Olivia? Not only would it mean sending your own daughter to prison - but for the "crime" of killing a terribly evil man who terrorized the country, was behind the murder of your own son, and was about to get off for it. I'll assume that you don't have any kids of your own. I found the reactions very believable.

4. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

How many people in this world today put their job ahead of their family? Sad to say, but I think it's a quite a bit more than we would like believe. Here is the ultimate case where one is bound by oath to do just that. I thought that the way Cherry Jones played it was perfect - I really felt her anguish & conflict.

The underlying theme of this season has been one of moral conflict - namely Jack's & Renee's. With the issue of torture & Gitmo in the news, I think the question the producers are asking us to ponder is: "If the stakes are high enough, how far would you go?" Yes, there are laws against torture, but would you break them to save thousands of lives? And if you do, then what does that say of your respect for law? The President decided to respect the law she was sworn to uphold - an agonizing choice yes, but I think in the end, a fairly easy one. She is duty-bound & for her to do otherwise would be out of character for the woman we have been watching all season. (I wonder if the writers toyed with the idea of the ultimate plot twist by having her choose to save Olivia?)

Jack, on the other hand, will always be conflicted. We see him as a decent guy who is devoted to protecting his country. He is at conflict with the law & with himself over the decisions he has made - but he stands by them as having been the "right thing to do".

I really enjoyed this season! Were there "slow weeks"? Yes, but it has been MUCH better than the last one where LA gets nuked in the first episode & no one there seems to be tremendously affected!

Dexter

P.S. I would, however, like to know where this city named "Washington, DC" is...where you can get to places...in cars no less...in a matter of minutes! Can't be the one near me!

5. Jan

Jan New Member

If that's what the episode recap says, it's wrong.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

They stopped mentioning it because it was piling on after the son-killing, but he was also behind the kidnapping and eventual shooting of the first gentleman and provided direct support to terrorists inside the White House.

Regards,

7. Jan

Jan New Member

And do you also kill the Chief of Staff, the Secret Service guy Aaron, the go-between guy, and the actual guy who set the charge, too, because they all know.

Tony may have killed Hodges anyway, but Olivia tried to do it and conspiracy to commit murder is a serious crime too. The classic case being Charles Manson, who didn't actually kill any of the famous victims himself.

8. Jan

Jan New Member

That's always a problem with 24. Take this season: There's an attack on the White House with dozens of killings and explosions, and yet within minutes after the threat is over, people are going about their regular business.

And talking about fiction, doesn't anyone ever fill out paperwork after, you know, a murder or kidnapping or terrorist event? Jack was debriefed once, so that's something, but, heck, filling out a report for a dented fender takes a lot of time for a cop. The 24 characters are all action and never bothered with filling out forms and filing reports.

9. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

They don't seem to eat or pee either, but, that would be pretty boring TV. It's a show where you have to be willing to suspend disbelief--take Olivia for instance: in one day's time, she's been held hostage, been made Chief of Staff, had sex, put out a hit...

10. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

If the show was called 26, you'd probably see all that.

11. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

:laugh:

I'd like to see just one episode where everyone has a sandwich, takes a bathroom break, calls the spouse, maybe a quick errand . . then, back to it!!

12. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Summer replacement series: "24 - The Paperwork" ... "24 - The Cleanup Crew"

Or maybe...re-show the just-ended season, but with each "hour" lasting two instead of one...and include the meals, bathroom breaks & personal stuff!

Dexter

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

14. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

15. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Jan,
    I rented the DVD and below is the actual dialog from the scene with Jack on the couch with Kim discussing the treatment. As you can see, there was indeed a risk to Kim. I think you held onto Jack’s word’s which immediately followed. It seems that Jack felt that it was a combination of both the physical risk to her and his belief that it wouldn’t work, leaving her to watch him die.

Jack: The treatment is experimental. And I don't think it's going to work.

Kim: And you don't want to because you are afraid to ask me

Jack: No
    Jack: There's a risk to you.

Kim: A small risk, worth taking.

Jack: Not to me.
    Jack: Kim, I'm dying. And whatever small chance there is to stop that from happening ...
    Jack: it is not worth the pain ...
    Jack: for me to let you sit there and watch me die.

16. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I didn't think I was crazy...

17. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

Let's face out, the season started very good and stayed very good to great and just fizzled out the last hour. I won't even get into the message that was getting crammed down our throats the last few weeks.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Don't forget a power nap! :D

19. Jan

Jan New Member

Well, let's just blame the sloppy writers. If there were a *physical* risk, the writers would have played it up, or been specific: "Your nose might fall off" or "if we bump something you'll be paralyzed." They didn't, they weren't.

That's why I find the only interpretation that makes sense is the risk that Jack is talking about is for Kim to sit there and watch him die.

The writers talk about experimental stem cell treatment since "stem cell" has been in the news for years. Who knows how the writers are going to get the stem cells from Kim. But I don't see how it could possibly be dangerous for her.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it is a TV show that borders on comic book/science fiction, they can do anything they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.