$2400 speakers vs my $150 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I take it you drive a luxury sports sedan from 1980? Performance and all....

SteelyTom likes this.
  2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Yes, it is best to bring some of your own music to demo. Music you're familiar with. Music from different genres. Music selected to be able to test or feature sonic aspects that are important to you. But sometimes that's not always possible. I've had to audition gear using dealer supplied music before.

The OP should make up a demo CD and visit another dealer to hear some different speakers. All modern speakers do not sound the same. May even find a pair that sound to his liking.

3. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

For 2200 bucks what would be the equivalent new speakers with 10" drivers etc ? No mini's or towers as they don't count.

4. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

First thought, best thought.

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You must be joking if you honestly believe that a pair of $2,000 speakers today won't absolutely crush, in every aspect of sound quality, a random pair of consumer speakers from 1980. Must be joking. Please.

6. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Please name the speaker, three way, 10" bass driver. Monkey coffin style, no mini monitor or skinny towers. Name them for 2200 a pair and i will seriously consider buying them as I'm in the market.

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I agree with this. Last month I bought a new pair of speakers and I took my amp with me, along with 5-6 different CD's to test out various speakers. It's the first time I did this and it made all the difference. I would recommend to anyone that is looking to buy new speakers to do this, it really changes the game completely. The salesguy wanted to do a test since he told me they rarely get people come in with their own gear, so he played the amp that was set up first, then swapped it out for my amp. It changed the sound of the speakers completely, so it's always a good idea to bring your own gear to the store. Sure it's a pain in the butt but well worth the effort.

ether-bored and gregorya like this.
  8. It appears you have a preference for 70'/80's style speakers, which is great, but the industry has moved on and just because the styling doesn't suit your aesthetic don't confuse that with a lack of performance. I think you may need to dust off some cobwebs here.

9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

This is an interesting point, as I switched back and forth on the decision in getting vintage or modern speakers. I've had friends tell me for years to stick with vintage speakers and for a few years I was using a pair of vintage IMF Compact Monitor II's that were really nice. I originally bought those speakers when I had a vintage amp at the time (Pioneer SX-1010). This past year when I finally updated my amp and CD player to modern Marantz gear, I felt the vintage speakers were not well matched. I thought about finding another set of vintage speakers but I kept reading how there has been so much change in the industry and technology, I felt I owed it to myself to go and hear some modern speakers. Well I ended up walking out with a pair of Focals that fit my needs and my budget. I couldn't be happier and I was just thinking last night that if I had to do it all over again, I would stick with modern gear. I totally get the attraction to vintage gear and I've done my part to dabble with it, but I realize I'm someone that enjoys the sound that modern gear provides. I'll keep those IMF's for now and perhaps pass them down to my daughter when she shows an interest in having her own stereo.

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I do plan to start a thread asking for help finding a 70s/80s tech television. These skinny 60" things glaring at me are no good. Where's the beef!? Gotta go vintage to get that look I'm after- low resolution, terrible color accuracy, old school contrast. New stuff sucks.

Dave, hi_watt, Kyhl and 8 others like this.
  11. I see you majored in sarcasm! LOLOLOL!

12. At the risk of derailing this thread, how can one tell if anything sounds good whilst listening to crappy speakers? IMHO they are clearly the most important part of a quality listening experience. Even the most modest of amps & sources sound pretty good through great speakers. My 2 cents...

[​IMG]

spanky1, hi_watt, Gavinyl and 2 others like this.
  13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There are great speakers which demand quite a large investment in amplification and source components. Your point, however, is noted. There are no electronics which can help bad speakers sound good. The problem is that no one can bring themselves to admit that their experience with exceptional audio is limited in one way or another.

Gavinyl and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  14. Good point. And I would advise the OP to go out & listen to every new & used speaker he can until something pricks his ears. I was lucky, I had a buddy who's stereo was wonderful to my ears, so I waited until a deal on his brand of speakers popped up & voila: the sound I wanted for $100 each on Craigslist.

15. I've always been a believer in source first, and still am, but next would be speakers. The in-between is much less critcial IMO.

brooklyn and Gavinyl like this.
  16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

It doesn't even sound like the OP is in the market for new speakers anyway. What would it matter if they were $2,400 or $1,000?

utahusker likes this.
  17. Approximately $1400?

18. Sweet....I need a new phonostage. :)

19. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I think a lot of people forgot what full range speakers sound like, I've been to the shops and everything in the 2000 USD range sounds thin to me. Lacking mid bass depth and obviously bass. (Don't bring up getting a sub, if it lacks bass it almost always lacks mid bass depth). Also styling is not the point, most towers in that price range have 6" bass drivers and can't produce bass. I'm talking real bass, moving air, your clothing vibrating. Modern speakers in that range can sound great on strings but lack in the lower hz. Like I said my Altecs sound huge even at low volume, spacious and 3d. In order to get that in a modern speaker you need to get up to 6k-8k minimum.

20. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Still waiting for you to name the speakers. You're good at sarcasm but lacking in the modern speaker knowledge you boast of it seems.

21. It is obvious to me that deep bass is of primary importance to you, because you've brought it up several times. But there is more to a speaker than bass performance, especially if it comes at the expense of clean and accurate midrange and upper end frequency. And while your 10" woofers of your Altecs may deliver that deep bass you crave, you can't convince me it delivers anywhere near the accuracy of today's mid-range and tweeter driver technology. It doesn't. Plain and simple. Today's speakers in general are much better transducers because the technology has advanced. It that were untrue they'd still be making them to your standards.

22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

If you are pleased with your $150 speakers and they suit you, than you are golden. Enjoy.

Brother_Rael and wilejoe like this.
  23. The Altec 301 freq range is: 30Hz–22kHz.
    My Genesis G7.1f specs are: 24Hz to 40kHz ± 3dB

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  24. You can. You just have to look a bit. Fritz comes to mind. http://www.fritzspeakers.com/sound.asp

25. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

The Tekton Pendragon pretty much fills that bill. Not a three way design though. I have a pair. They are much, much better than your vintage speakers.

They are better than a lot of speakers that cost a much more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gumboo, martinb4 and norman_frappe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.