256 aac vs mp3 - which sounds better

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

They tend to be a little too scientific and dogmatic for my tastes.

Grant likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh...he forgot to include your picture. :p I see now. :D j/k

3. Grant

Nothing wrong with science, but they get too dogmatic about it. That's what I mean about them not knowing how to listen.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I run hot and cold with them. I think quite a bit of what they say is true, but they can get just as crazy and inflexible as nutty subjective audiophiles. I think there's a happy "middle ground" where both subjective and objective audio evaluation can exist. But I do think that a lot of "vast differences" people convince themselves they can hear are not so vast when you really examine them closely.

I know the Fraunhofer Institute (patents owned mostly by Technicolor, interestingly) believes that AAC is much better than MP3. They have even newer codecs that are better still, but are sitting on them for the moment.

5. Grant

No one will ever convince me that 256 kbps AAC sounds superior over 320 kbps mp3. Now, if you increase the bitrate of AAC, it is superior.

6. botley

botley Forum Resident

There is no "tipped-up" treble. One format preserves more of the frequencies present in the original signal than the other does at the same bitrate. The MP3 codec is betting you won't hear those frequencies.

7. Grant

I hear it. I also use existing music in my collection as a reference, too.

8. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I listen to just about everything via iTunes at 320 Kbps. There's an added perceived fullness to music. Which can be even better with Apple Lossless. But I've also found it depends a whole lot on the quality of the recording and mastering. You can never have enough hard drive space!

9. czgirb

czgirb Well-Known Member

based on my experience:
    320aac > 320ogg > 256aac > 256ogg > 320mp3
    NOTE: 320ogg in some songs are BETTER than 256acc, but some songs are NOT

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How can there amped-up treble by simply encoding to MP3 or AAC?

11. Grant

Collapsing of the soundstage will cause the treble to sound louder. It is a consistent effect I hear every time I convert no matter what. To my ears, lossy AAC is worse. That is why I just can't deal with anything from iTunes. Of course, most people like that tipped-up treble sound at the expense of a wider soundstage.

ShallowMemory likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.