2nd cart, VM740 similar problem, Right channel crosstalk

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker Member Thread Starter

So I posted on here some time ago, about an AT440Mla having a muffled sound in the right channel. With an SL1800mk2 fully rewired by professional. I just soldered the arm wire to the new pcb, no problem.
    Right channel was always less clear than the left, some records hid the problem better than others.

So just a little over a week ago, I purchased an VM740 directly from Amazon, in case I needed to return it.
    Well it does sound better overall than the 440 but it has about 5db difference in crosstalk, the worse channel is of course the right channel.
    I have already did test with ultimate analog test lp. Tried all my azimuth options with collar slack in 1800mk2.
    I purchased a new Technics shell to try out as well, didnt help.
    I have the arm height the same as my 440, 3.0mm. VTF 2.0 (recommended) AS 2.0. Azimuth aligned to mirror.
    So this is my 2nd cart I have ever purchased and it is a poor performer as well.
    I dont know what to make of this. I have posted a video of arm in float action and many have verified it looks normal. I have alignment spot on. Been at this for about 4 years now of non stop aligning/testing.
    I have the platter level, checked all wiring resistance. Tried multiple receivers and phono pre amps.
    The problem is at the cart.
    I tried the 440 stylus on VM body, the crosstalk numbers where around 3db difference, much closer to each other. But there was more bleed thru on both channels overall.
    Even the more equal Xtalk of the 440 is too much for me, when listening right in the middle, any little bit of audible distortion drives me crazy. This cannot be expected performance imo, no way is it HiFi like that.
    None of my friends or family have TT's, so cannot test on another table.
    Oh and at every different azimuth setting, the results where always the same difference between the 2 channels. Looking at the stylus with low powered magnifying glass, it does look like the stylus is rounded off on one side, not sharp like a microline should be.

So where do I go from here? To digital? New table?
    I can return the VM740 for full refund or get a whole new replacement cart/stylus.
    What are the chances a 3rd brand new AT cart under performs?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This sounds familiar...think I read your posts on another forum. My advice is as follows: get a refund for the cart and purchase a DAC or whatever you need to complete your digital system. Forget about records.

3. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker Member Thread Starter

Yeah you know who I am then.
    So is this normal for someone to have problems like this with vinyl?
    I heard rips that convinced me to go with a TT. The rips did not have any digital modification and I could not hear any problems except some clicks.
    Either I am not the norm and most of the time crosstalk is so low its inaudible, or this is the reality of vinyl. I cant believe so many would prefer records if this is normal.

I put more money into this 1800mk2 than expected, hoping to fix the sound.
    Bought around 20 semi expensive records thinking I would fix the sound later on.
    So its kinda hard to let it go but I probably would enjoy a nice DAC just as well.

Looking for help that cannot be had over the internet. Ok I will send it back for refund.

I just dont see others, just getting into vinyl, post situations like this.
    Must not be in the Lords plans for me, it has only made me obsess over fixing the problem.

Ah, just went to the other forum, saw your post. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.