2nd Chapter of Acts and the solo recordings of Matthew Ward and Annie Herring appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jan 13, 2018.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

I am glad a bunch of us have responded.

2. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

M-/M- vinyl can be had on the first for $12 and the second for $4 on Discogs. 1970's CCM vinyl was prevalent then and is still very affordable on Discogs. It is a genre that sparingly made it to CD afterward. The Second Chapter of Acts music was released on CD by the Keith Green ministry in East Texas in the 1990's though you don't see it on the detailed Discog's discography. I owned them before passing them on to my brother. Many 1970's CCM bands can be found on small run reissue efforts. Joel Chernoff is selling the Lamb CD's on his website and Children of the Day, The Way and Love Song CD's are all available. Over the years I have seen everything pop up on CD for linited time and runs. The Daniel Amos website is selling extended versions of their releases on their website. Do not rely on Discogs or Amazon for the last word on available and affordable CD issues. Here is a very, very good website to browse: A Decade of Jesus Music 1969-79

3. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Only got to see them once, but they were very good.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I recently saw Stephen Curtis Chapman perform, Musically speaking, he was very enjoyable . He has been described as CCM's James Taylor .

5. BradOlson

Great mention as that if it weren't for 2nd Chapter of Acts, we wouldn't have had Steven Curtis Chapman arrive on the scene, and I agree that Steven is a great live performer as well. One of the best artists in the genre.

longdist01 and phillyal1 like this.
  6. BradOlson

7. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

*with footnotes -- is about perfect. I still get such comfort when listening to it. One of my first forages into CCM.

8. BradOlson

This is one of the albums from the golden age of the genres that holds up well to this day.

longdist01 and boggs like this.
  9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I've had a pile of their albums here for ages. Duplicates in fact. They all came from a collection I acquired a few years ago. One day........

10. BradOlson

You should pull them out and listen to them as they are a group you'd love if you like classic CCM with harmony vocals. Much of their work holds up well, especially their first several albums.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    longdist01 likes this.
  11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I know, I know. Records and CDs seem to pile up and there's only so much time. I remember one friend who has since passed away was really into them. Thanks!

12. BradOlson

BTW, I let Matthew Ward himself know about this thread and this forum via Facebook.

13. Matthew, Annie & Nelly are singing on this classic too. :)

14. BradOlson

Plus Chuck Girard is one of the best CCM artists of all time and anything involving him is worth hearing.

15. BradOlson

Annie Herring's birthday is today and she is 73.

longdist01 and Mark B. like this.
  16. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

73? Hard to believe....it seems like yesterday I heard *with footnotes for the first time. It was only out a couple years at the time. Larry Norman would have been 71 this year

Mark B. likes this.
  17. BradOlson

Phenomenal album and by far one of the best albums the genre has ever had. Anybody starting an early CCM collection needs to hear *with footnotes. Classic album, front to back. An audiophile treat as well.

Mark B. likes this.
  18. BradOlson

BTW, Matthew is 60 and Nelly will be 63 on December 11.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A Happy Birthday to Annie!

thanks Brad for sharing that!

BradOlson likes this.
  20. BradOlson

You're welcome. She, Matthew and Nelly have left a tremendous legacy of great music with a unique sound that is all theirs.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. BradOlson

Annie doesn't even look the way most people look like at her age: Annie Herring

22. BradOlson

CD Baby does have Matthew's solo albums available as downloads plus they have the first 2 albums they recorded as a group available as downloads using the twofer CD, the Rejoice and Singer Sower albums as downloads using the twofer CD and also the Roar of Love as a download. The entire 2nd Chapter of Acts catalog is available as downloads at www.2ndchapterofacts.com

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    longdist01 likes this.
  23. BradOlson

No surprise that the winning album in this poll is How The West Was One and as far as studio albums are concerned that *with footnotes and In The Volume Of The Book got the lead votes as these 2 albums are true classics in every way and hold up well.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. BradOlson

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    longdist01 and yesstiles like this.
  25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Mansion Builder was the standout for me.

BradOlson likes this.