3.1 remixes - Why not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

There are some folks here who are not fond of 5.1 mixes, especially when discrete instruments or voices appear in the rear channels. I happen to like it that way, but not in every instance. It really depends on the material.

What I would like to know is why are there not more 3.1 remixes. I mean, if people prefer their music "up front", can't the soundfield be better defined if the center channel is used?

What do you guys think about a 3.1 mix?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

What's wrong with a 3.0 mix? :)

It would make perfect sense for a lot of pre-mixed three track recordings to be released this way.

Regards,

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

True, but the .1 is the Subwoofer, its not really a discrete track, so really, 3.0 = 3.1

4. Ken_McAlinden

It is a discrete track, and for most music, it's probably best not to use it at all. Since it is a discrete track almost always derived from other full range tracks, all the more reason not to use it, I say.

Regards,

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It CAN be ;)

After listening to many Quad mixes of the 70', making a 3.1 mix would not be very exciting. Besides, a stereo picture is supposed to create a good center presence when done correctly.

6. Ken_McAlinden

For some of those vintage 3-track recordings, skipping the step of mixing to two-track would bring you one tape generation closer to the multi-tracks, though.

Regards,

7. RetroSmith

Y'know, Ken.......in any 5.1 mix, you can turn the rears off (as I do once in awhile) and there you have your 3.0 mix. Some of them are exactly as you asked, the three tracks right off the multi, left, right and center.

8. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

This type of mix was available on a few of the Dolby Surround music mixes, but I don't think it really went anywhere since Dolby Digital took over. So, a 3.1 mix cannot be folded-down in Dolby Digital?

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Wouldn't you lose a lot of ambiance by doing this?

10. RetroSmith

Well, it all depends on how it was mixed. In some cases, you would be hearing only the three tracks as they were on the multi...and I think thats what Ken was asking in the first place.

11. Ken_McAlinden

I was thinking about stuff that was already in its final mixed form in three track (all stereo image, track eq, compression, etc. decisions already made). This would be a definite subset of the larger set of all three-track recordings. That's what I was trying to convey with the term "pre-mixed".

Regards,

12. RetroSmith

But Ken, nothing is in its final mixed form in Three Tracks. If its "mixed" with effects, eq, etc, its two track or mono.

You must be referring to a stereo mix with information in the center of the stereo image, but even so, that would still be a two track mix.

13. Ken_McAlinden

No I am not. Click here for discussion of one such example.

Regards,

14. RetroSmith

I did. Gotcha Ken.

Altho I cant imagine there are all that many like that, ready to go from the three track. But for the ones there are, terrific.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.