3-D Restoration and Consulting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello friends,

Some of you may have attended the World 3-D Film Expo held at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood in September, 2003. I provided 21 of the 34 features screened at that event.

I hope you'll forgive the shameless plug, but I've just been brought on board as a Golden Age 3-D Consultant at the Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/318309/meet-bob-furmanek-htf-golden-age-3-d-consultant

Please drop by and feel free to ask any questions!

Best,
    Bob

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Hi Bob. I got to meet you and Ron (and some guy named Steve Hoffman) at the festival. Cool news about your consulting gig. Are we gonna see some golden era 3-D films on blu-ray soon?

3. Bob Furmanek

Absolutely! I'm working on some material as we speak...

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Will this eventually include a release for Creature from the Black Lagoon?

5. Bob Furmanek

Hopefully, but that ball is in Universal's court.

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Excellent news.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's Bob! A first-class gentleman and one of the most knowledgeable film experts on the planet.

Also brother of famous Ron Furmanek, equally an expert in the rock & pop mastering business.

"Watch ya language!"

Good to see you here, bub.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Fantastic!!

9. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Geez Bob, after reading your profile I have about 19,000 questions...

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

+1 :D

11. Bob Furmanek

Thank you very much and Marc, nice to see you again!

Also, just to be very clear, my brother Ron produced the fantastic Sinatra Capitol Years set. My involvement on the project was doing preliminary research in the vaults. He deserves all the credit for its quality and success.

Bob

12. :wave:Love the work you and your brother Ron's done for the past 30+ years on behalf of us music and movie fans, Bob!!! Great having you join our little chatroom...:cheers:

13. Bob Furmanek

Thank you, Ron truly deserves all the kudos in the music department. The 32 titles that I produced for Capitol are a drop in the bucket compared to his outstanding achievements!

14. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Wow, that's an impressive resume dabbling in both film and music. You should be proud of all that you have done and will do going forward.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Hi Bob!

I've heard rumors of a 3D blu-ray release of "Dial M For Murder" and "House of Wax" for this year. Any truth to the rumors that you know of?

Derek

16. Bob Furmanek

Thank you Mike from NYC!

Derek: I know that WB is working on DIAL M right now and have heard rumors about WAX as well, but that's all that I know at this time.

Bob

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Any possibility that Murray Lerner's short films Sea Dream and Magic Journeys will ever be on home video?

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Or Arch Oboler's efforts? :)

19. Bob Furmanek

I don't know about the Lerner films, but I'm working on THE BUBBLE right now. We're doing a 2K scan off the camera negative and it looks spectacular!

Bob

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Awesome.

21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Andy Warhol's Frankenstein?

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Bob,

I'll never forget the day at the World 3-D Film Expo (about 1 month before my first son was born) sitting next to John Landis, Joe Dante and Leonard Maltin as we watched in delight two of the worst films ever made, GOG and Cat Women Of The Moon. The 3-D versions of those films were so wonderful we were in heaven. We have you to thank!

We stayed into the night and watched Kiss Me Kate! and It Came From Outer Space and all I had to eat the entire day and night was that bad popcorn and some sugar drinks from the snack bar. We were going on pure Adrenalin at the end.

A long day and I had such a headache driving home but it was so worth it seeing those movies in 3-D. Cat Woman Of The Moon was so terrific (in a bad way) in 3-D. If I ever go to the moon I'm going to be sure and take a big ol' file cabinet with me in the spacecraft! And I love how when they ran out of money making the movie, for the ending they just had Victor Jory yell: "The Cat Women Are Dead!" The End. :laugh:

When Jeff Jospeh took me up to the projection booth during Kiss Me Kate! the tension was so think in there I could feel the weight. Such stress. Could barely stand to watch!

At any rate, if it wasn't for you, so many great films would be lost in their original roadshow versions. Keep up the good work!

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

24. Bob Furmanek

Thanks Steve, those were crazy and fun days!

At this time, it's not very likely there will be another festival at the Lafayette which is too bad. That was one of the very best venues for dual-strip 3-D: properly presented in a beautiful 1920's movie palace.

Bob

25. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I followed your link to the Home Theater Forum, and there's a link at the forum to an interview with George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video. There he confirms that they're planning to release them both in 2012. He gives no exact release date though. My best guess is fall...

Derek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.