3-D Restoration and Consulting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Nice job! Liked the Hondo research and Arch Oboler's The Bubble (non) trailer!

2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you, Donald!

3. Bob Furmanek

We've just uploaded the first 3-D footage to our YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/3DFILMARCHIVE/videos

First, be sure to use our handy YT3D tutorial to optimize your viewing experience.

Once you've got everything looking its very best, RETURN TO BRONSON CANYON with Bob Burns in the miracle of third-dimension.

Who knows, maybe even Ro-man will make an appearance...

Enjoy!

Bob

4. stereoptic

Nice job! Restoration looks quite clear - no ghosting that I could see on u toob

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Fascinating. I never knew the old 3d films weren't in red/blue glasses. Spent an hr on your site, loved it. Thanks for all your work preserving this stuff!

6. Bob Furmanek

7. Bob Furmanek

60 years ago today on Wednesday, June 18 1952, filming commenced in the Malibu Hills on Arch Oboler’s THE LIONS OF GULU. It was the first feature film produced in Natural Vision Three-Dimension. Released as BWANA DEVIL on November 26 1952, its tremendous success jump started the short-lived 3-D revolution in Hollywood.

Here's a stereo image taken on location in the Malibu Hills. Pictured behind the Natural Vision camera is its designer Lothrop Worth. In front is Director of Photography Joe Biroc. Robert Stack and Barbara Britton look happy next to the Nash Rambler.

[​IMG]

Bob Furmanek
    http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wished they could do the Real 3D stuff on the web. I don't know many people with a pair of RED/GREEN glasses at home, but just about everyone I know has 'forgotten' to return a pair of Read 3D glasses at the movies!

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

They can. My LG TV uses the style of glasses used by RealD systems. It can also surf the web and view 3-D videos on Youtube.

10. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I hope Dial M for murder is in widescreen not 4/3. Can't wait for old 3D films to get the Blu-ray treatment.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Don't tell this guy, and for God's sake, don't try and confuse him with facts:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/04/dial_m_mauled_b.php

Poor Bob. I'd like to think Mr. Wells was just yanking your chain, but who knows.

12. Bob Furmanek

Oh, that's okay, I'm not thin-skinned. In other posts about ON THE WATERFRONT, he called me a Meat Cleaver Fascist!

He found that topics about aspect ratios got a FAR bigger response than his usual ramblings so that became the hot topic for a while. He's a typical clueless blogger who wouldn't know accurate research if it hit him in the nose.

13. Bob Furmanek

14. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Someone here can surely, enlighten me of a puzzling thought I have about a 3-D film that was released. It was called Metroscopix (if I have the name right). It was shown in what was then MGM (Pre Sherman) owned theatres. Was it is a actual film or a 3-D first- up bags of sample tricks 'promotion' vehicle : like This is Cinerama was- for that particular screening medium?

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Bob, was this box part of the Polaroid "fix?"

Attached Files:

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What did the Tim Burton produced Lincoln vampire film cost I wonder, great 3D.

17. Bob Furmanek

That was a quickly assembled compilation of the three Pete Smith shorts: Audioscopics, New Audioscopics and Third-Dimensional Murder. So far as I know, it was done for the foreign markets only in 1953. I've seen paper from the UK and Mexico.

Yes, that's one part of the Polaroid sync unit. Where'd you find it?

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It was installed at the Capitol Theatre in Olympia, WA, by McRae Theatre Equipment for a screening of Dial M for Murder a year or so ago. See this post:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=7139917#post7139917

And a few before and after it.

Matt

19. Bob Furmanek

Very cool!

Here are some photos from my set-up. They're not the best, I've got to take some new ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bob Furmanek

21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Bob, was this unit, or something like it, used at the 3-D Fests in Hollywood?

22. Bob Furmanek

No, they had some kind of electronic interlock which made it unnecessary. But I wish every theater running 3-D revivals had this unit. New York's Film Forum is constantly running 3-D out of phase. So much so that I've stopped attending.

I've used mine for years and have never had a bad show.

23. Bob Furmanek

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

From www.thedigitalbits.com:

On our own Blu-ray Producers panel, George Feltenstein revealed that Warner Home Video has now officially green-lit the Blu-ray 3D release of House of Wax (1953). The original negative was damaged, so the "separation" film elements are being scanned at 4K for all three color strips, plus the left and right eye for each - essentially like scanning and restoring six films at once.

25. stereoptic

Seeing as that I just bought a 3D bluray player, I'm interested in this! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.