3-Sided Double LPs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Keith Richards - Vintage Vinos. Side 4 is etched. And also, the first pressing was on red vinyl.

2. I never noticed that. But I must say I haven't had that record with me in ages...

Folknik likes this.
  3. TubularBell

TubularBell Forum Resident

Tuomas Holopainen's music inspired by life and adventures of Scrooge was released as three sided LP. The remaining fourth side was filled with different version of Lifetime of Adventure as a bonus track and it plays on 45RPM.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Huh. Guess I have another reason to try harder to find it.

Folknik likes this.
  5. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I think it's Black Spider 2 which is mistakenly listed on side C. Looking at my CD copy ripped to iTunes, it's 30+ minutes long. I don't recall if I've ever listened to my vinyl version.

6. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

Alice in Chains "SAP/Jar of Flies". Fourth side is scribed.

7. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

The same as Destroyer's 'Kaputt'.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  8. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I have to admit I'm a big fan of 3 sided 2xLPs for records that are between 50 and 60 minutes long. 12-14 minutes sides are annoying and there's no problem getting 18-20 minutes per side on an LP. I wish it was done more.

9. andres lira

Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power

[​IMG]

10. andres lira

Sleater Kinney - The Woods

[​IMG]

11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I'm aware of records where the album only could logically be spread over 3 sides. Extra material was considered for inclusion, alternate mixes, etc. although nothing was extant anymore. So etching it is.

That's how it should be.

12. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

How about economic reasons. Wouldn't it be less expensive to have three sides mastered than four?

13. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I prefer a three-sided LP to a four-sided LP where each side lasts eleven minutes and I have to get up and flip the record every three songs.

drapes likes this.
  14. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Roy HArper's last.

15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Also have the Donald Fagen. It is the nicest piece of modern vinyl I own, no question, packaged well, the clear vinyl is really cool and sounds great. But yeah that missing fourth side is a bit odd. He could have done something with the fourth side, obvious choices for me would have been Rhymes, Green Flower Street (Live), Hank's Pad (Live) and Viva Viva Rock And Roll (Live), which were all released on the Trilogy box a few years back, and have never appeared on vinyl.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Lyle Lovett's "Release Me" spreads the entire 14 track album out over three sides, but rather than making side four a "slug", it repeats the two original compositions by Lovett (which are also the first two tracks on side three) on side four, this time cut at 45 rpm.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  17. Benjy

Benjy Forum Resident

Nada Surf - Let Go

18. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

What a great way to go! Put something special on that 4th side at 45 speed so it has better sound quality. It could be 2-3 hits from taken from the previous 3 sides, alternate takes or "unplugged versions" or live versions. I like that idea--why waste the side, especially at the prices paid by your fans?

19. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

On the flip side, I bought Jewel's PIECES OF YOU on vinyl when the album came out. I was surprised when I later saw the CD and it was missing the last five tracks from the double album. So, either the CD was an edited version of the original album, or the label fleshed out the CD with "bonus tracks". Nowhere on the double album does it call the tracks on SIDE D "bonus" or "extra" tracks. If they are indeed extras, then the label did a cool thing by adding additional songs instead of leaving the fourth side blank.

All of these three sided albums mentioned in previous posts must have additional stuff from the same sessions that could be included. Would help ease the pain of the cost of some new vinyl. :)

BuddhaBob likes this.
  20. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

For the first few listens I thought the UK pressing of Johnny Flynn's A Larum was a 3-sider, but it actually has the 1:23 reprise of one of the earlier songs as the only thing on side 4, with the other 52mins split over sides 1-3.

21. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

The Enid - Invicta. With a fancy engraving on side 4.

22. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

That is not correct, Black Spider 2 is the last song on side 2, a totally re-arranged version of Black Spider, doesn't really sound that much like it. The D-side is just known as 'Untitled', it's 23:02 and is a 'hidden track' on the CD version. It's a full side of music so Zidane doesn't qualify as 3-sided. It's a great noise/drone track, which Mogwai are extremely adept at doing. I seem to recall the first part (with the crowd noise and the more aggressive guitar noise) was used in the film when Zidane gets into a fight and gets kicked out of the game. And no, it's not from the WC final, it just randomly happened in the match they decided to document for the film. So I guess it was a bit of a habit of his, ha ha. Great player, though. Very interesting film, especially if you're a fan of both music and soccer.

However, my original pressing of Mogwai's Mr. Beast is 3 sides only, with the fourth featuring some etching.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  23. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I see. I was only guessing. I don't recall what I used to rip the CD when I did, but whatever software I used must have combined the hidden track into Black Spider 2 after some silence to combine into one track at 30:27. No matter. I love Mogwai and have all their releases, but I simply have no idea what their songs are called! Listening blindly I think I'd be lucky to even guess which album the song came from half the time! :)

24. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

David Crosby's Croz has the same thing, Side D (Audiophile bonus) has two songs cut at 45rpm that are already on the LP! Nice idea, better than a blank or an etching!

JG

25. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Don't worry, you can probably be forgiven for not knowing the name of a song called 'Untitled'. Same goes for their other three or four songs of the same (non) name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.