(3) Turntables, which one would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The SL-1200G is an improvement on a KAB modded 1200 MK II also. I have both tables and wrote down my impressions in the "reintroduce Technics" thread. The magnesium arm is the big difference.

displayname, avanti1960 and snorker like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Doing some research on prices in the UK and the miss-match is phenomenally interesting-

VPI Prime= L 4200 = $ 5550 !
    RP8= L 1600 = $2115 !
    SL 1200G= L 2999 = $3964, the only one that has equal value in the US and UK.

FYI I am able to find all three for similar $ here in the US. Not sure what to make of this.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

With the VPI, it makes sense-you aren't paying for exchange rates, overseas shipping and distribution. The Michell Gyrodec is substantially less in the U.K. as well.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Exactly. Well worth being aware of, and not just for turntables.

Robert C and HiFi Guy like this.
  5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Most advertised UK prices include 17% VAT.

Most advertised U.S. prices do not include state sales tax where it exists.

Most advertised Canadian prices do not include provincial sales tax or HST.

avanti1960 likes this.
  6. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

VAT in the UK is 20%, increased from 17.5% in January 2011.

7. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I would choose Prime.

I actually had a chance to compare side by side a prime and an RP9. I much preferred the prime for sound quality. They were both very nice tables. I felt the prime was a little nicer all around. We used a dynavector 5x10 and a Ortofon blue. With both carts I preferred the Prime. I really dont remember what phone pre we were using. I know the amp was Bryston 4b and the speakers with both Wilson Audio Watt puppies and Sonos Fabre 3.0 towers. ... Might a plugged in some Maggies as well.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

More regarding the relative prices between the UK and USA. I was very tempted by the price of SME arms over in the USA - it was much lower than in the UK. Then you add shipping, VAT and Duty and a customs clearance fee - and guess what? It ends up the same price as buying one in the UK.

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I knew that. It’s like my mind just blanked it out. VAT in the UK has always been a shocker.

HST (another form of VAT) in Ontario is currently 13%. Sigh.

10. IVA (VAT in Spanish) went from 16 to 19% this year in my country. Fortunately, my online vinyl purchases aren't affected unless the parcel weighs 2 kilograms or more.

11. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

I would look no further than a Clearaudio performance, a German engineered deck that oozes with quality of craftsmanship.
    Belt drive and a straight arm, the best of the two worlds. At a very competitive price.

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and FashionBoy like this.
  12. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

None of the three listed by the OP are particular favorites of mine, but of the three I would pick the VPI. High quality construction, proven performance. A mainstay in high end analogue reproduction for many years.

13. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

1200G for the win!

14. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident

Airbus...
    Interesting you pointed out the Clearaudio performance. I demoed that and the VPI Prime side by side when buying a new turntable a few months ago.

Both were phenomenal, but the VPI won for me. It sounded more natural and brought more energy to the music when it went up against the Clearaudio. The clearaudio had a level of precision that the VPI did not, but it was a bit too analytical for my taste. The VPI just felt alive and thats what I wanted for my vinyl playback.

The clearaudio should definitely be on ones short list at that price point....if you get the nicer tone arm.

Airbus likes this.
  15. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

VPI Prime. It is very good as is and can be upgraded—though the others can, too, but perhaps not to the extent/levels as the VPI.

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What about the speed and explosiveness that is supposedly Rega's forte'? If you valued this as a listener wouldn't the Regas go to the top of the list?

kazu likes this.
  17. 1200

Im more interested in the 303's

Synthfreek likes this.
  18. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Technics SL-1200G easily. Speed stability and accuracy, fast start/stop, removable headshell, easy and repeatable setup, relatively compact, dead quiet motor, sensitive and reliable tonearm, no need for a speed box, anti-skate dial, feedback rejection at high volume, oh - and reference quality sound with a great cartridge/cable/phono stage. Benifits from KAB fluid damper and record clamp. Would be the perfect if compatible with a peripheral record weight.

bluemooze and Robert C like this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That's my 303 and her brother the 606.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  20. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

get a sl-1200 mk2, modifie it ( I could explain all the mods I applied to it), build a absorption platform (many different methods) , get a denon dl103r (the sl1200 arm is particularly well suited for the dl103) and you have a setup that would take 3 times the price to beat. actually, any improvement fromt here on would be subtle.
    then invest in a tube phono and your done!

Robert C likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I went from the Technics to a Prime this year. No comparison....night and day difference. I had no idea a turntable could make that much difference!

TarnishedEars, kazu and mreeter like this.
  22. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

I am Japanese and I have enough money to purchase Technics 1200G. But for me, that sound is not good at all! I heard it many times. Perhaps because they threw their turntable in the trash can, along with their skills on the turntables. The real purpose of Technics is not to love music, but to simply make money at the time of a recordable "record bubble". I am strongly angry at their way of business as a Japanese. I strongly support solid REGA.

TarnishedEars and Ghostworld like this.
  23. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Sorry, I’m Not sure I understand your question? Speed and explosiveness?

I’ts been over a year now maybe almost two since I got to do a side by side listen. I can tell you out of about 7 tables my top two pic’s were the Prime and my Roksan Radius table. Remembering, I tried to listen for particular things in various recordings. Some would do a thing or two well but lack somewhere else. I know I came away thinking the Music Hall ikura was really good at its price point. It didn’t bring out as mush detail but it was solid and did everything well. We had a rp6 and rp9, a Thorens red Star Trek logo shaped thing and an expression 10 and my old Pioneer PL 530. The least favorite of all of them was the rp6. The rp9 was much better, but I didn’t think it was as good as the Roksan or VPI.

With all that said it is my opinion that the cart and preamp do a great deal more in the overall performance of vinyl playback compared to the table. A cheap bad table will sound like a cheap bad table. Once you have decent tables it’s harder to hear differences then it is when comparing carts or preamps.

In other words. The difference between $2000 tables is kinda small unless one is really bad. But the differences between $2000 phono stages or preamps is huge.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  24. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

payin 3k for the new sl1200g makes no sense to me when a mk2 or mk5 can be had for so little. and then you still need serious mods to make it sound very good. a stock sl1200 is nothing special, after serious mods (damping and suspension platform and suited with a denon dl103r), its a great table for 500$.

25. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I'd probably go with the Technics, but could see VPI as a real option. I don't ever need to own another Rega turntable. Maybe they're a better deal in the UK, but here in the US they feel overpriced for what you get. Flimsy feel, wimpy torque and non-adjustability don't do it for me.

I'd also look at Well Tempered and the Gem Dandy Poly Table Super 12 before dropping $3k on a Rega.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.