(3) Turntables, which one would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some of these comments are either biased or based on older models. I can't say which is best out of these 3 but the latest Regas do not have resonant plinths and lack the colouration of previous models. The new P3 sounds very stark and neutral but would lack weight in comparison to VPI and Technics. I suggest the Rega will need extra isolation compared to the other models. Hedging my bets based on what I have heard of the brands other models I would say it's between VPI Prime and SL1200G. If you think the SL1200G is merely a DJ deck listen to the Fremer (Youtube) comparison with his Caliburn. I heard the GAE in a Technics system and it failed to impress (over the PLX1000 at least) but I put that down to their new optimistically priced amps and speakers.

HiFi Guy and avanti1960 like this.
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I did not like the full Technics system at all with their smaller speakers. Their amplifier converts everything to digital I believe. Not that it necessarily makes it worse, but it wasn’t to my taste. In any event, I really like the SL-1200G in my own system, which sounds completely different than the Technics system.

Drewan77, Robert C, kazu and 2 others like this.
  3. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

4. GUTB

GUTB Member

Anyone listen to the AnalogueWorks tables?

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

nice logical unbiased post, thanks.

6. avanti1960

Stereophile loves your table- seems like a great performer, especially for the price. The Jelco 750E is a workhorse tonearm.

toddrhodes likes this.
  7. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

If would go for the VPI. I don't feel the more expensive Regas are a massive step up from the cheaper ones. As for the Technics, I've recently read on another forum about a buyer having two faulty decks in succession. On closer inspection the shop's demo deck had the same issue too. That would put me off them entirely until production niggles are ironed out. Good luck whatever you decide.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  8. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

What's faulty on 1200G?

9. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Gentlemen!
    Well, please let think about "Final Destination" of every Turntables!

What is the advantage of RP10 over P3?
    What is the advantage of Prime over Traveler?
    What is the advantage of 1200G over 1200GR?

Platter - Exact spinning(rpm), Less wow/flatter(timing/pitch), Less vibration(Mechanical noise)...
    Arm - Less resonance, Hight trackability, Hight sensitivity...
    Plinth - No resonate(Vibration isolation)...
    etc - Hight RFI tolerance(Earthing) , No electrical noise...

Kazu ;)

P.S. : If you want to change the pure(non-colored) sound on your vinyl to rainbow-colored, please use your cables, amplifier and speakers etc (excepting TT)...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    KT88 likes this.
  10. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Some people say the new Technics is a tried and true design, while others say it’s a new design. Both are usually referring to one of these as the strength of the new 1200. The SL-1200MK2 didn’t seem to be free of coloration. I’d like to have this new version to find out for myself.

toddrhodes likes this.
  11. GUTB

GUTB Member

I visited Capital Audiofest this year and got to listen to several great systems. Most of these were on the very high end, such as the amazing $1,000,000 VAC room (didn't even bother looking at the TT they used), and "down" to the VPI Prime (looked like one anyway) in the Odyssey room -- which was terrific. After the show I went back to the Odyssey room when it was lit up to try and ID the cartridge...it looked brown/wooden and said van de hul on the front...a quick search told me this was probably a very expensive cartridge.

I visited the Vinyl Dr room and was treated to a GamuT system running a Pear Audio Kid Thomas and Cornet 2 arm, power supply and a Etsuro Urushi Blue which appears to be extremely expensive. Anyway, that system was superb. One of the visitors brought a Shefield Lab record of Kings James Version, which was the very first time I had even heard of Shefield Lab. Wow what a great recording. I ended up buying the same...it's sitting outside right now undergoing wood glue treatment.

But what finally made me take the plunge into vinyl was the MoFi room. What an amazingly good sound: clear, dimensional, wide, dynamic, just all around great. They used the superb TAD One Evolutions and some some really nice electronics to get that sound...but when they told me that it was all running off a MoFi UltraDeck + tonearm + UltraTracker bundle ($2 ,000!) and their $450 phono stage....I get that the speakers and electronics are top notch, but the front end still has to be up to it. It's like, how could I not?

Anyway, I ended up getting the StudioDeck + StudioTracker bundle ($1,150) due to there not seeming to be much difference in terms of table...just a heavier platter, maybe Cardas wiring in the tonearm -- but you don't get the better cartridge. But now I wonder what would happen if I installed a high-end cartridge on it like a Ortofon Cadenza, a Transfirguration, van de hul, Soundsmith, etc. Or...will not get any better than what I heard with the $500 UltraTracker?

Tullman likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The plinths are different between the two as well- the Studiodeck is MDF- the Ultradeck is MDF with aluminum sheets.

I'm an ecstatic Ultradeck owner. But we are both thinking the same thing overall- these tables can easily handle more upscale cartridges.

And the phono stage wasn't $450- it was the $250 StudioPhono.

FashionBoy likes this.
  13. GUTB

GUTB Member

Man yeah it knocked my socks off. Even this cheaper deck and cart, while not beating my much more expensive digital setup...is in the same ballpark. That’s just insane.

14. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

The three decks I referred to made a brushing noise with every rotation. So far it's undiagnosed. For the dealer in question, three out of three decks have been faulty and had the same issue.

15. Classicrock

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  16. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident

Choosing out of this lot, I'd have to go with the VPI Prime.

But then again @ the 4K price point, I would be seriously considering the Pro-Ject Xtension 10.

GFaulk and Shoalcove like this.
  17. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

If you good people had a choice between say a Rega RP6 and the Mitchell Technodeck , what would be your choice and why?

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

This is from the funny pics thread, but describes well why should one go for the Technics:
    [​IMG]
    :winkgrin:

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Bizarre. Was it audible through speakers? Hopefully it gets sorted out.

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

21. Classicrock

It was only audible with his ear against the spindle. Doubt anyone else has tried that. Doesn't appear in any way to affect music reproduction. Would welcome more feedback from other owners.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. avanti1960

Circling back on this thread-

I watched a video of the Prime tonearm setup and the unipivot seems to be unstable- even while playing records.

Anyone with experience with it have any issues, concerns or regrets?

I noticed that there is an available add on from VPI that adds a second pivot point to help keep it stable.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I haven't had a problem with the unipivot arm and I'm a kinda clumsy guy.

mreeter and avanti1960 like this.
  24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've owned the VPI 10.5 Metal Tonearm and currently have the 3D-10 Arm. Have never had a "wavering" experience with either one, once you have the Azimuth set, the Arms track perfectly.

I don't feel the "need" for the Second Pivot option.

avanti1960 likes this.
  25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

No problem at all and would never add that stupid training wheel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.