"30 Rock" live episode

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

What did everyone think? Considering how the normal pace and editing of the show makes it difficult to translate to a live performance, I think they did a pretty good job.

And after viewing both the east and west coast performances, I think the west coast one was slightly better...

2. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I thought it was okay. The best part was when they went to film after Jack had a drink.

Chad

3. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

I enjoyed it a lot. I only got to see the East Coast version but liked it a lot. I liked the surprise SNL folks too. Since it was live it was interesting to see how they just swung the camera real fast between certain scenes since it couldn't be editited. It's one of my favorite shows and I would say the live episode was very well done and enjoyable.
    Bruce

4. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I liked it! Alec makes the show IMO.

sean

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I wonder which one we'll see in the UK, and also if the DVD will have one or the other or a "best of" combination?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I only saw the West Coast version but loved it to death! Very funny.

"I love the Fonz!"

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Both versions are available on HuLu, looking forward to watching them!

Although last season had a few duds, I still think this is one of the smartest and funniest show on TV in ages...maybe ever. :)

dan c

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Love the show, loved the live episode. Hope to watch the west coast version over the weekend.

9. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I really liked last night's show. I saw the eastcoast feed. I actually thought it was funnier than usual. I'd love to see this done on more comedies. There's something about the immediacy of live TV that I find appealing. It’s more like seeing a live show and reminds me of the golden age of Television. It’s interesting to see how they recover from goofs. At one point during a scene in Jack’s office Tina had trouble remembering her next line but just sort of covered with her usual frustrated Liz mannerisms. Some people may not have even noticed.

10. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I think they pulled it off. Made me laugh.

11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Since it was one of the first lines I wondered if she really forgot her line or if it was just a joke.

Chad

12. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I can't believe they pulled it off without any flubs. Consumate pros, all!
    Considering how much editing goes on in post production, this was flawless and wasn't any less funny! Julia Louis Dreyfus as Liz Lemon was great!! Also amazing was the use of the SNL studio. The TV show is filmed in a lot studio 1/2 hour from NYC. The use of the small studio space to shoot a 3 camera live show was amazing. Only saw the East coast version. What time does it air on the West coast?
    8:30EST.
    I caught it and I'm not sure what to think. Tina Fey is a pro!

13. il pleut

il pleut New Member

i'll give them credit for doing it. it was ok, nowhere near the funniest episode i've seen.
    it had the feel of a long, complex snl skit maybe because they used 8H.

14. Carousel44

Carousel44 New Member

Only saw the East Coast version. The whole Happy Days thing reminded me a lot of an episode of friends where the doctor inexplicably loves Happy Days. At least it wasn't as bad as the vertical integration gag from a week or two ago (chip manufacturer making diarrhea medicine) which seems to many to be lifted straight from the Sarah Silverman Program. Overall a great episode though. Loved the Doctor in quotation marks thing.

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

She did the same thing in both versions.

Some differences between them:

--Cheyenne Jackson sang the theme song on the west coast, Jane Krakowski on the east.

--The joke Julia-as-Liz insulted Jonathan with was different -- Slumdog Millionaire joke on the east coast, Aladdin joke on the west coast

--The songs Chris Parnell sang in his bit were different

--On the east coast Jon Hamm had a black man's hand (that tried to strangle him), on the west coast he had a woman's hand (that tried to... well you can imagine).

The audience seemed much more subdued on the west coast version -- it seemed like they hadn't brought in a new group of people.

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It was a joke, I have to believe. I forget the exact context, but prior to her awkward pause, didn't she just mention having done something that affected her brain?

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

In fact, I just checked. The line was something like "my face cream was just recalled. It was destroying the lab rat's... what's the word... Brains". The gag was probably just meant to play up the fact that everyone watching the live broadcast is waiting for someone to mess up.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I just watched the East Coast broadcast. Wasn't expecting the different changes. It was great. I laughed out loud (again). Wasn't expecting the change in "hand".

Gaps were less on the West coast feed. Tighter cues, I mean.

Great show, live, fast and funny.

I wish they could do it that way every week but it would probably kill them eventually! Very hard to do like that.

19. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

No, the gag was that the face cream was destroying her brain...I can't believe that people didn't get it.

20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I watch 30 Rock not matter the content. Is is the best show!

21. I liked it. They did a good job. I missed Rachel Dratch on TV. Matt Damon was a hoot.

22. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I think it was a double pronged joke. She hesitated to make people think that she couldn't remember her line. Then the brain punch line kicked in.

Chad

23. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Has Cerie been officially removed from this show? Never see her anymore...

25. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Great episode, but does anyone else wish they hadn't had the audience? Just kind of threw me off.

"Is it a surprise party? Yeah, I was in on it too! SURPRISE!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.