"30 Rock" live episode

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shane

shane Active Member

I watched the East Coast version. I thought it was great. Beyond Jack and Liz (who always make it) Rachel Dratch and Chris Parnell were the highlights of the show.

2. blase_faire

blase_faire New Member

Least funny episode(s) in the series history, to me.

The over-the-top studio laughing was annoying, fake, and covered up the next joke sometimes. The acting was stilted and the writing was dumbed-down.

About 4 laughs, but that's about 40 less than usual...I liken this to a musician who is who sounds really great on album but pretty average live...

3. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Liked it a lot, but the "shaky cam" kinda got to me seeing it this way, made me think it was much more obvious they were doing it.

4. everjoy

everjoy Member

Alec Baldwin in a poncho. TV doesn't get much better than that!

I loved the live ep- though I did find Kenneth rather grating, and I usually like him a lot.

5. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

I just watched both versions back to back on hulu. I thought they were excellent. At first the shaky cam bugged me but I got used to it I guess. It seemed like the studio audience was releasing all this pent up excitement from there never being one before.

I liked the east coast version better, probably because I watched it first, but also there were a couple times they slightly flubbed a line for the west coast version. On the other hand, I caught a few jokes on the west version that I had missed the first time.

It's a testament to how great the show is that I hadn't even noticed Cerie's absence until I read agentalbert's post above. Interestingly, a google news search of her name (Katrina Bowden) brings up several articles from before the telecast saying she is nervous about a doing a live episode. There is also some online speculation about a possible eating disorder.

6. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

WOW!!

7. Another live episode!

8. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I liked the original live ep, but LOVED this one...I can't believe how much they packed into a half-hour.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't remember liking their first live episode very much at all, but this one was great. Very funny! Loved Dr. Spaceman!

10. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

11. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Luved it last night Alec as Dean Martin....groovy!

my ribs hurt after 30 Rock

sean

12. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Loved this episode. The one thing that bugged me, did anyone notice how bad the SNL alumni are at acting live? They all have that SNL read it off the cue cards delivery still. Next to the other actors it really stood out.

13. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I liked it a lot. I'd almost given up on the show, but this was very funny and energetic.

14. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I found myself laughing a lot during this episode. I was dying during the "Amos 'n Andy" ripoff.

"I was a Tuskegee Airman, sir!"
    "Banjo!"

Having a good group of SNL alums really made this epsiode snap. :)

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

When he freaked out out and ran off set was one of my favorite moments in the episode.

16. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

The different variations on "Jackie Gleason's" threat to his wife were pretty funny.

They started getting pretty bizarre after the 2nd or 3rd one

17. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Anyone else think Alec Baldwin had no idea Paul was going to do a walk on?

18. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

I thought that Alec looked legitimately surprised when Paul walked in. The entire show was a blast.

19. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yeah it did look like he was blindsided by Paul.

20. spillred

spillred Forum Resident

Loved it! Saw the West Coast version and thought it was incredibly ambitious and they did a wonderful job.

21. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Thought it was awesome - one of the best shows on TV, IMO. Community was great as well last night

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

That bugged me too (and Tina Fey totally muffed one line early on in the East Coast version). Jane Krakowski seemed like she had all of her lines down cold. All in all very funny & the old TV parodies were hilarious

23. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I wish I had watched it now. I love 30 Rock but I didn't like their earlier attempt at a live show

24. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

JImmy Fallon, amazing once again. Fred Armisen, even more amazinger!

25. spillred

spillred Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.