$300-$400 TT rec - MH, PJ or U-Turn?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by robmakestv, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robmakestv

robmakestv New Member Thread Starter

Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm looking to (temporarily) replace my Dual 1229, which is in need of service (again.) Now, because of my job and the frequency with which I relocate, the idea of buying a $1000+ turntable and moving it from place-to-place doesn't really interest me at the moment. So I've focused in on the $300-$400 range, which leaves me with the usual suspects:

$300 - MH 2.2
    $350 - U-Turn Orbit Plus
    $400 - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC
    ($450 - Rega RP1 w/ performance pack)

Obviously, there's a slippery slope here (just another $50, and I can get xxxx.) Another factor is that I'm in Waco, TX and have a newborn at home, so I can't even get to Dallas or Austin to audition any of these.

I'm leaning towards the Music Hall, but seeking some advice from the forum. Any strong recommendations one way or the other? I have somewhat eclectic music tastes, but my sweet spot is and always has been rock/alternative (think Police, Smiths, Foo Fighters, Zeppelin, etc.)

Thanks!

Rob

2. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new to the "new" TT offerings but I just bought a Music Hall 5.3 recently and it's a nice deck. I also have a 1229 which works well but I wanted something from the newer technology market.

The Music Hall plays very nice. I'm not sure of how the company dictates what kind of motors they use but mine has a DC motor so a speed box can't be used, but, I have no issues with speed either. I really enjoy the turntable.

So, I'm one to suggest a Music Hall as I'm sure the 2.2 is just as capable of a machine as the 5.3.

The Pinhead and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Is there any store local to you that sells tables? Many local record stores carry inventory and the prices are the same as the internet from what I have seen. The reality is that all those models are very close to each other in performance, the deciding factor is likely to come down to the the cart you prefer. I like the 2M red better than the Rega Elys and what the Uturn comes with.

4. robmakestv

Unfortunately not, which is what makes this so tough. From what I've heard, the 2M red definitely makes the Debut Carbon more tempting, but is it worth the $100 premium over the Music Hall, considering I can always upgrade the cart later?

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I dare not say good things about the Debut Carbon for fear of the backlash on this forum but I've had one for a couple years and I like it quite a bit. I think the carbon fiber tone arm and the 2m red give it the advantage. If I'm not mistaken, the MH may have the same tonearm and is made in the same factory as the DC. Look on Musicdirect.com. I think I saw a Musical Fidelity table this week that was marked down from $1,000 to about $400.

avanti1960 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

8. The Pro-ject Debut Carbon is an excellent TT for what you get. Never mind the naysayers who are usually Rega fanboys, which is another fine TT manufacturer.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm excited we have almost made it though a whole page without someone saying to buy used.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. You know it's coming though.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'd go with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC. I think the Rega RP1 would be a lateral move, even with the performance pack. And you get the carbon fiber tonearm and the 2M Red.

Dennis0675 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  12. robmakestv

I hope not. I've already got my 1229 that needs service. I'm hoping to avoid that scenario for my second table.

Johnny Vinyl and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The Red is nice and replacing the stylus is easier than making toast or boiling water. If you get the itch to upgrade, putting a blue stylus on the cartridge body makes it a brand new table all over again.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  14. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I thought Pro-Jet's hum?

15. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

Yeah, but look what's on the Waco Craigslist: THORENS TURNTABLE TD-115 »
    [​IMG]

There. Got that done for you.

TheVU and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'd get the AT from Amazon and one of the others - which are a mixed bag (hums, rattles, shipping screws) - carefully unpack - and then audition for a couple of days - keep the winner. I like that Music Fidelity one above - looks sharp. Amazon has a great return policy.

17. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

There are certainly enough people here that have had that experience that it should be a concern and one should be able to make a return if that is the case. That has not been my experience but I will say that if you have reference level equipment and you connect any of these tables to it, you will hear more mechanical noises than you would like. I have my Carbon connected to a Fisher 400 with a decent M1 Musical Fidelity phono stage and it is very nice. I did add the acrylic platter and upgrade to the 2m Blue.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've never seen that model before, it does look cool. I've bought a couple vintage tables and will likely buy more. It's just always a good idea to get a new cart or stylus and have a place you can get it serviced. Old electronics can be tricky.

20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Or that you can only expect Chinese made junk if you pay under $2,000. I saw that little tidbit posted on another "Cheap turntable Rec" thread two days ago.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Must have been a poor seller and being cut from the lineup. It's a fairly unheard of model, I like what I have heard from musical fidelity and own one of their phono stages but distribution and marketing doesn't seem to be very good in the US

23. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I recently bought a TT, first in many years, and went a completely different direction, but among these options I had decided the best choice was the MH. Compatibility with an Ortofon blue is a super big plus. The tone arm looks pretty nice. The plinth appears to offer better damping than PJ or Rega. Plus the colors are cool. I think for a person looking to enter this world it is a great choice. Waco is an hour and a half from Austin and cool as an older AR or Thorens might be, I see lots of driving in the buyer's future if they go used. Or maybe talk to Chip and Joanna and see if they start stocking TTs at the Silo. Waco is a cool town! Seriously. Best Lebanese food I've had in Texas.

jon9091, robmakestv and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

You may also want to look at the Audio-Technica AT120 turntable ($250) and replace the stock AT95E stylus with the AT95SA Shibata stylus ($150) that is sold from LP Gear. That combination would be more than competitive with some of the ones that are listed. My co-worker has this very setup and sounds phenomenal through his VPI integrated and Usher speakers.

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.