$300-$400 TT rec - MH, PJ or U-Turn?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by robmakestv, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I love my U Turn, and cant recommend it enough. However, Id probably look at the Fluance if I was ordering today.

GuildX700 and misterclean like this.
  2. loudwizard

loudwizard Well-Known Member

Of these, Debut Carbon. I just the think both the arm and cart on the Pro-ject are much better than the other options. I'd highly recommend swapping in a 2M Blue stylus at first opportunity as well.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

Lots of good deals to be had on the Rega RP1 right now from online dealers. I received a few emails from the main sites with 20% off.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Oh, go buy that Thorens. If the speed is true, it will be a $250 score.

TheVU likes this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

6. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

The arm on the 2.2 inherited the arm from the MMF5 from earlier in the century. The 2.3 now has a carbon fiber arm.

The 2.2 construction is based more on Pro-Ject's 1/Expression line, with the arm base screwed down into a well or whatever it should be called, as opposed to sitting on top of the plinth. My old Pro-Ject 1.2 is heavier than my 2.2, however.

I had a Debut Carbon for months in the spot where the 2.2 now resides. (My son's, who didn't want it until he switched apartments.) It worked great, though I don't care for the 2M Red's sound signature. It had great tracking and surface noise performance, however.

The only thing I hated about the Debut Carbon was the little stub of a headshell lever. As one who likes to freehand, that thing is an atrocity.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Ditto for Audio Advisor and Music Direct.

8. robmakestv

robmakestv New Member Thread Starter

So between the 2.2 and the Debut Carbon, which would you recommend?

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe discontinuing them? With the Planar 1 out as its replacement.
    That's what I would get if it falls within the price range....the new Rega P1.

10. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Seriously. Do not buy any of the entry level Pro-ject, Music Hall, U-Turn, and even Rega.

They are all money pits. You will be chasing the dragon until you spent enough money on upgrades that you will have spent enough to buy a real turntable. The carbon and Orotofon 2m series is like the most popular arrangement. Everyone either "loves it" or has serious issues.

As someone who poured hundreds of dollars into a Pro-ject system. I'm telling you, a 1980's direct drive table will outperform any entry level new table out there. I don't care if it has the speedbox built in. I was blown away by a 80's JVC I picked up on Craigslist for my brother. I bought it and a NAD integrated, and a slew of other equipment for 160 dollars.

I get it. They have cool colors. "Modern designs". Many of them are straight trash comparatively. Many many people report of poor customer service when it comes to Pro-ject tables that hum, buzz, and have other faulty parts. Save yourself the headache. Because JVC isn't going to help you either, and this was you're out 160, not 450. Then do dumb **** like buy fancy turntable mats, that you'll pretend to hear the difference from, because of all the money you saved.

Seriously. Go buy that Thorens. Cause you'll even talk him down to 200, or 180 if you're lucky.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    McLover likes this.
  11. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I was just in a similar situation as the OP and ultimately decided on the U-Turn Plus with Ortofon OM5E cart, and bought one with the bypass able Pluto phono stage ($70) installed, so $399 in total. It sounds very nice, is a simple setup, and one less pair of interconnects to purchase given the built-in Pluto. For my away system this fits the bill nicely.

I'll certainly wait a bit for the cart to break in, but $62 will get me a nice stylus upgrade to the OM 20. A Herbie's Audio Lab Way Excellent II Mat will be added too, but that would have been so with any table I might have chosen. I use one at home on my Music Hall MMF-7, it's a mat that makes a big difference.

13. Wow! That's a pretty aggressive condemnation of new entry-level turntables. If your post included facts and not innuendo and obvious bias, then perhaps it could be taken seriously. I know several people personally who have been completely satisfied and have not experienced the issues you seem to claim are ever-present with those products.

Kristofa, HiFi Guy, krisbee and 3 others like this.
  14. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I'm looking to add a second turntable and I'm struggling to make a decision myself.

I've been heavily leaning towards the $599 Canadian priced Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for the same reasons mentioned above - the carbon fibre tonearm and the Ortofon 2M Red, but I keep going back to looking at the U-Turn Orbit Custom where I can upgrade to an acrylic platter, a Grado Black1 cartridge and cue arm for about $450 Canadian, shipped to my door. That a huge savings too over the Pro-Ject (about $225). My main issue is that there are no Canadian dealers for the U-Turn so I cannot see it in person before I buy it, unlike the Pro-Ject.

15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I always thought an acrylic platter was meant to be used without a mat.

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'd never heard that until recently, but I also don't believe in any audio rules, try it all I say!. In the case of the U-Turn I first played records without the supplied felt mat, then with it. The sonics were better with the mat. I'll buy the Herbie's mat this week; I've no doubt based on past experience with my MMF-7 that the Orbit will sound even better.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Amen to that bro !:goodie:

McLover likes this.
  18. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I had a 80s Sansui Direct table. I bought the Uturn with the Grado Black, standard platter and am happier. Here are sound samples I made comparing the two. Dropbox - Turntable Samples »

Robber Soul likes this.
  19. I think Music Direct still has the Rega RP1 with performance pack on sale for $450. Darn good price, especially with that cartridge. Wouldn't get the standard RP1 though, esp. with that cartridge they've put on it.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Isn't the RP1 made in China?

21. robmakestv

Thanks. I do appreciate the input. However, I thought my original post explained why I'm looking for a new turntable, as I have neither the time nor the resources in the foreseeable future to deal with fixing up a vintage table. If I did, I would just have my 1229 serviced and call it a day.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Kristofa and jon9091 like this.
  22. robmakestv

It never hurts to ask, right?

jon9091 likes this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Modifying my recommendation:
    Audio Technica AT-LP1240

beat_truck likes this.
  24. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

If buying a new TT at that (or any) price just make sure it would be easy to return if you find any issues. You should never have to live with any inherent faults that might come on a new one - any motor noise, QC woes etc (Had to return my new RP3 when the bracing came away; but Rega were ace to deal with).

The basic Pro-jects represent great value. Personally not a fan of the 2M red, but if it's thrown-in to start things off with...

25. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Anyone own a Music Hall 2.2 that can chime in? That looks like a decent cart/table combo for $299.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.