33 1/3 vs. 45 rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Darles Chickens, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What about them?

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have to move my belt to a different part of the spindle - and then back. As I said, a MINOR inconvenience.

But again, there is virtually no fidelity improvement in cutting at <60 mins over 4 sides @ 45 rpm vs <60 min over 4 sides @ 33rpm. Honestly, all other things being equal, if you would buy a 45rpm cut, there is no reason not to buy the 33rpm cut.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Do you listen to 78's? They have incredible presence and most often are superior to LP or CD reissues of the same recording.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t. But is that presence due to the way they were recorded or due to being at 78 rpm? Do they sound better than CDs or LPs simply because they are at 78rpm or because of the transfer from shellac to vinyl/digital?

5. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

My reissued "Guero" from Beck is bested by quite a lot by my 45rpm version. That said, the reissue sounds fantastically good.

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Often times this is because of the transfer and often due to the way they were recorded.

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

All of my 12" 45 RPM maxi singles had a LOT more dynamics, bass and treble than the 33 RPM LP counterparts.

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Take a look at Kevin Grays writeup in this thread.

"WHY 45 RPM?" Great 45 RPM 12" LP explanation by Kevin Gray!

9. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Have a couple of 45rpm albums and I admit they sound pretty darn good but not good enough for me to have to flip an album 4 times to hear the whole thing. I’m content with 33 1/3.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’re missing the point. How many of the 33rpm’s have 14 min sides? It’s almost always something like four 11 min sides @ 45 rpm vs two 22 min sides @33 rpm. That’s apples to oranges.

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

I didn't miss it at all. I don't mind changing sides. Good exercise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.