"4-Channel Ready" tonearm question...JVC VL-8...need quadrophonics information.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know anything about quad or 4-channel hifi. A customer is offering me his old JVC VL-8 turntable. I would likely remove the arm and use it for another project. It's my understanding that the only difference between this "4-Channel Ready" arm and a regular stereo tonearm is that it will have high capacitance headshell leads (that can be easily removed and changed). The manual says that you must add the JVC four channel cartridge and decoder to convert it to 4 channel. Am I missing anything else? What would be the difference between this arm and a standard 2 channel tonearm?

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Quite the opposite, I think. JVC came down on the RCA Quadradisc side of the quad LP wars. If anything, "4-channel ready" arm wiring to them would mean very low-capacitance wiring, for optimal out-of-the-audio-band high frequency response, so the 30-something kHz pilot tone on the LP wouldn't get squashed. I suspect the arm wiring will be excellent for most stereo cartridges as is.

McLover likes this.
  3. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

There were other 4 channel tonearms out there. Grace also made one. I have the Grace 4 channel tonearm but don't use it, I am using a Jelco 250 instead.

Scott

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Grace Quadmaster.
    Any extended high frequency response cartridge with a fine line extended contact area should be OK for 4 channel replay. Low capacitance wiring also needed for extended frequency response to reproduce the carrier wave and a CD4 decoder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.