4 Men With Beards pressing quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by draden1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

So, I called the number listed for Runt on Discogs. I was connected to City Hall Records, the umbrella distributor for 4MWB and others. I spoke to a guy named Tim.

Firstly, he was totally open and willing to talk about mastering sources. I told him that this thread was in-progress and perhaps he might want to take some interest in it, as it wasn't very flattering to them and perhaps they could defend themselves.

I asked about Big Star's Radio City, since that's the one I have. He claims the source was a 96/24 file.

He also was very open about the fact that they inherited the Runt legacy of CD sourcing. He admits there was a lot of that going on until 2009-ish, when City Hall bought them out. He claims since then they try for the best possible sources. He also said this is getting harder to do - "drying up" as he put it, as companies are less likely to provide Hi-res sources.

He also was clear that they were not an audiophile shop. Thats not their business model.

We didnt get into why Radio City sounds so bad, but if I take Tim's word it wasn't a CD source.

So, a few tidbits there from the source.

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The only 4MWB pressing I have is Scott Walker’s 4 and it’s surprisingly good. Can’t fault the sound or pressing at all and the packaging is beautiful. However, in spite of this positive experience, from what I’ve read of their records I would never risk buying another one. Which goes to show the influence of bad reviews, rightly or wrongly.

Sear likes this.
  3. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

Are you Fu#*ing with us? Did this actually happen? If so, this is very interesting.

First off, good for Tim for talking. I would rather take a shot to the nuts then have to own up for the audio practices of 4MWB to the SHF. I don't think he's being sincere (or has been misled) though when he claims 4MWB tries to utilize the "best possible sources". This has to be one of the most half-hearted attempts to locate the best possible sources in an industry where that bar has been set in a ditch. Likewise, I'm skeptical of companies not providing high-rez. files. I'm sure some other person on here could speak to how valid this statement is.

There has been no truer statement in the history of the SHF then: 4MWB is not an audiophile shop. I whole-heartedly concur.

Thanks for this though.

4. Lemon Curry

I actually did call, and faithfully reported his comments.
    I encouraged him to join this discussion, as they are taking a beating. Including from me, as I stand 100% behind my Radio City comments.

Tommyboy, tmtomh and stax o' wax like this.
  5. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

A merited beating. 4MWB may be the most despised label in the history of SHF.

6. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I agree with the earlier post concerning Akarma. The Discogs' review is very good and is as follows -
    Akarma
    Profile:
    Italian rock reissue label, based in La Spezia, Liguria, Italy. Specializing in late-60s and ‘70s rock, prog-rock and blues psychedelia. Some releases (at the very least) are of questionable legitimacy.

Founded by Giorgio Mangora and Enrico Mangora.

GRAPHIC VARIATIONS:
    - Early releases were pressed on colored or black vinyl, usually 180 gr. The A-side center label is white with the track listing for both sides, the B-side label has a color illustration. The covers are usually released in heavy cardboard. The company address on back cover appears without a website address. CD editions are digipak.
    - Soon after, "A division of Comet Records" appears printed below the Akarma logo on the back of the sleeve. The B-side center label has an image of the eye of providence with a meditating man.
    - CD releases contain a barcode and the website address (www.akarmarecords.com) appears on the covers.
    - Around 2000, CD releases are released in cardboard sleeves; they are often gatefolds imitating classic LP covers. This design of cover it's called "Karmapack".
    - Eventually the release year starts appearing on back cover; this becomes the norm circa 2001/2002.
    - Eventually barcodes begin to appear on vinyl releases. The web address remains the same on cover, but one might also find printed on center labels and CDs themselves the address www.cometrecords.com.
    - After 2005 the address always appears as www.cometrecords.com. Most of the LPs were then reprinted and CDs were issued in regular jewel cases.Comet Records (2)
    Contact Info:
    AKARMA
    358/F Via Monfalcone
    19123 La Spezia
    Italy

7. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I avoid this label at all costs. Also terrible and probably CD-sourced: Simply Vinyl and Plain Recordings.

Labels I'm consistently impressed with: Rhino, Sundazed, Analogue Productions, MFSL.

The Gomper likes this.
  8. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I only have Maggot Brain, and its not abysmal. Pressing quality of this album is fine, nothing crazy bad pretty flat.

The Gomper likes this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

This thread has reached peak SHMF.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yeah, their business model is making "cool" tchotchkes for Urban Outfitters, and they never get the best possible sources. Their Elliot Smith reissues happened after 2009, and they are some of the worst sounding vinyl ever made. I don't buy for a second that "companies are less likely to provide Hi-res sources." If they have a licensing agreement, why wouldn't the label provide a digital copy of the master? I seriously doubt they say "oh just rip the CD from the store, nobody will notice." The real shame of this craphole operation is that they've had the licensing rights to some great albums tied up for a decade. Shane from Intervention has looked into reissuing some of this stuff with analog mastering and he can't because of 4MWB/Plain. I hope their "business model" implodes sooner than later. They're basically making Beanie Babies.

Cassius, uzn007, OldSoul and 4 others like this.
  11. Lemon Curry

It's a riddle why the quality isn't there. We are their market, and we have huge issues with their product. Who else is buying it?

Exit Flagger, nosliw and Leviethan like this.
  12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Urban Outfitter Bro
    [​IMG]

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

For what I'm seeing, I'll throw my two 4menwithbeards in the trash can

14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Original UK based Simply Vinyl pressings from the 90’s and early 00’s can be very good.

15. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

Indeed. The Yabby You reissues are great. Beefheart's Safe As Milk, too. But they're all from 2001. Though I never really dug the heavy plastic covers in which they put the LPs.

As for 4MWB, I always wished they'd put as much effort into the mastering as into their packaging. Their edition of Hawkwind's debut looks and feels great. Didn't sound too horrible, but soon after I'd bought it I found an original cheap, so that was that.

tmtomh, KDubATX and Lemon Curry like this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Glad to second this — there was a time when Simply Vinyl was doing superb reissues. Fremer wrote in the early 2000s that SV's EMI reissues were analog-sourced.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

So I take it I should stay away from this pressing of Radio City

18. Lemon Curry

It's a truly stink-o pressing.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I forgot, I bought one of those as well, atrocious.

20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The only 4MWB pressing I own is Television’s S/T 1992 album. Like those quoted I had no issues with it and thought it sounded quite good, and I found it to be an improvement over the original CD. A while back I was fortunate to obtain a white label promo of this album right here on the Forum classifieds. The 4MWB reissue comes quite close to that WLP, whatever they did with this particular reissue they did right.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Why would the licensing rights be tied up? We’ve gotten excellent Iggy Pop reissues from Universal and Dusty In Memphis from Rhino recently. Marqee Moon too.

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this is awesome. thank you! should probably pin this post somewhere ;)

no offense, but i don't think you have any evidence of CD-sourced vinyl. if you do, please share. otherwise see the above as a good example of how to spread truth rather than hearsay.

tmtomh, correctodad and nibor like this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

4 Women With Beards would be way more interesting.

Cassius, nosliw and Sear like this.
  24. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Actually, I have some from Friday Music that are actually pretty good. Not great, but they are decidedly a step (or three) above 4 men With beards.

You would have gotten the same thing at Vinyl Engine. Save your money and save yourself the disappointment.

:laughup: Thanks for the laugh. Actually, when I first read it I read it as Audiophile which still made me laugh. What a hoot!

peymei4ever and nosliw like this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Do you think we sufficiently answered the OPs question?