40th Anniversary Supertramp - Crime of the Century!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Well going back a couple of pages wouldn't have hurt. If you don't like digging through threads to find the nuggets you are after, you're in the wrong forum. :)

Stormrider77 and Bill Mac like this.
  2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Well, okay, but you're asking for a definitive answer to whether this is better than the MFSL master. Even the people who are willing to read eleven pages aren't going to learn that, but at least they'll get some comments to evaluate. What makes you think that people are secretly sitting on an answer to your question that's there for the price of asking? Or are you just looking to make a purchase decision on the first person willing to give you a yes or no?

Bill Mac and evad like this.
  3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Then you're definitely in the wrong forum. Read my review for an honest opinion.

Stormrider77 and Bill Mac like this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The bottom line, as I see it...

If you love the sound of the MoFi, you might want to stick with that.
    If you feel disappointed with the MoFi, this remaster is for you.

Ulli and Bill Mac like this.
  5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That is not absolute. I have always loved the sound of the MFSL, I just love the sound of the new remaster way, way more. So even if you love the sound of the MFSL, it might be time to move on.

6. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

My copy from the 3 LP set has more noise than I can accept from what should be a top line vinyl box set. The packaging is outstanding and I really love the sound, minus the noise. I'll be returning this set. The question is will I try another copy. I'm still on the fence about that.

7. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Try another copy. It may just be a fluke. Or, that run. See if you can return it and purchase somewhere else. if thats an option. When you say noise...what do you mean?? Can you post a a soundbite for example?

8. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

OK. Let's agree to disagree then.

The old MFSL half speed masters were much less prone to surface noise. I agree on that point. I believe they even claimed it would get better each time it was played. I can't speak to that however because I was not impressed with the sound quality to begin with. None of them were played more than a few times as a result.

Aside from that, whatever your experience with those records, MFSL LPs were pressed on a very different vinyl than a standard LP. According to MFSL.

Quote:

" Original Master recordings are custom pressed overseas by the Victor Company of Japan (JVC). Super Vinyl, an exclusive compound far superior to even so-called 100% virgin vinyl, is utilized to achieve maximum clarity and startling quietness.... Super Vinyl also bestows unsurpassed durability to each Original Master Recording LP, achieving a "playing lifespan" at least five times longer than mass- produced records."

That's taken directly from the MFSL brochure I have. Printed in 1983. FWIW.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Totally agree with you. I was just saying it is possible to press vinyl that is close to perfection, and I am mightily impressed with how nice most of the new vinyl I have purchased plays. Based on that, I felt bad for the guy who got a Supertramp album full of pops amd clicks....I think if he returns it there is a good chance he will get a much better copy and the album is worth getting a clean copy of. And I know there are many that simply don't like MFSL mastering and respect that. This whole issue is quite subjective to say the least. I am in the camp that loves almost everything MFSL on vinyl, with the one exception being a Linda Ronstadt album, Prisoner In Disguise, that is very boxy and closed in sounding....and that is in their Silver Series so I knew going in I might not cate for it. I looked for years and years for a copy of Yellow Brick Road that I would like on vinyl, and our host suggested I seek out a UK version but despite efforts, they were all too worn. I finally scored big time, imo, after obtaining a vinyl cooy on MFSL. Although the Speakers Corner was darn close....I certainly could have lived with it. So, not all like MFSL but many have said COTC on MFSL is their best sounding slab of vinyl, and I concur. However, I still ordered the new one and expect it next week. Will be interesting to hear. I understand they are now gone, so I hope its a clean copy!

LouReed9 likes this.
  10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Vinyl that gets more quiet with repeated playings?
    I know those are not your words, but that's fantasy.
    I have heard the UHQR of COTC and it is outstanding.
    I wished I liked Super Tramp better.

11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I'm not sure that I dislike any of my original MFSL LPs. I've got many of them (CotC, Aja, The Pretender, Waiting for Columbus, Tea for the Tillerman, ZepII, DSOM, Misfits, Breezin', Night at the Opera, Hot August Night, You Don't Mess Around with Jim, I Robot, A Trick of the Tail, Deja Va, Champagne Jam, Legend, Days of Future Passed, Breakfast In America, and others) and to my ear I loved every one of them!!!

Jrr and mrob0000 like this.
  12. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

All of the quiet passages have ticks and lots of crackle. Worse than any of tbe half dozen $5 used albums I played today. I have no confidence another copy will be better. It was pressed at gzvinyl.

13. Darrin Crawford

I hear you my friend. That's the worst when you get copies like that. My Dire Straits Yellow Brick Road (Back To Black vinyl) ...Dark Side Of The Moon ...all like that. Extremely frustrating. I was hoping to get this as a collectors item just for the book and the live stuff...if I can get it cheap I will but I will invest in a MFSL or a Speakers Corner edition like most have suggested. Very clean and noise free. Sorry I am not familiar with gzvinyl. Care to elaborate?
    Thanks...and sorry again about your luck.

14. Darrin Crawford

Sorry, I found them. Why don't you write them and see what they come back with??

15. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

It isn't a book. It's just a few pages. There are also two 8x10s. Since I bought locally I'll just return it.
    I have two MFSL copies but a speakers corner would be nice.

16. Darrin Crawford

Just curious how does the concert sound on the vinyl??..is it clean??

17. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I didn't listen to those discs. Guess I should have but I wasn't up to it after two passes through the main title.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A Night at the Opera has always been tempting, but it doean't seem like a very "hi fi" album...seems kind of shrill and thin. Would love to hear your thoughts on the MoFi!

19. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'd like to hear an MFSL version of Exile On Main Street. I haven't found a CD version that sounds as good as my old CBS or my 180g vinyl. I would love to hear Sticky Fingers on vinyl too though I'm not sure I'd pay $62 for a copy through Amazon.

20. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I guess they were making it up. Insert that came with early MFSL vinyl. See p.2

[​IMG]

LouReed9 and BIG ED like this.
  21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

22. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Ok, but that to me is different than saying the special vinyl we use gets more quiet the more you play it.
    It has nothing to with the vinyl compound but the tools that press the vinyl can leave behind extraneous pieces of vinyl.
    I actually remember that sheet of paper you posted as I had several early MFSL LPs and what they said was true about the de-horning thing.
    But vinyl wears out and the wear is accelerated if you play them repeatedly.
    We were told to not play LPs more than once per day as the force exerted on the vinyl groove by the stylus heated it up and that it needed time to cool down.

23. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

According to Fremer, this is also true of DMM pressings.

24. I remember a similar sheet with some of the Telarc "digital" (pre-CD) LPs.

Preston likes this.
  25. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Just downloaded the MFiT of the new Deluxe Ed'n.

Absolute "Night and Day" difference between it and the BDA imho.. the new remaster sounds fantastic, even @iTunes quality!

I can only imagine there's something seriously wrong with my copy on BD, still sounds like hell and I tried out a couple of other BDA's and they sound great as ever, so must be a faulty one somehow. I can't be arsed returning it, I'll just never play it again.. got quite a few HFPA's like that now..!
    (insert "rolls eyes" face thing!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.