$5.00 Bin At Walmart (1/26/12)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Yeah, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

I've been seeing the Metallica remastered versions of Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning in the $5 Walmart bins.

ARK likes this.
  2. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

There are Wal Marts that still have the $5 bin?

None around here still do that I can find.

ARK and timind like this.
  3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My Walmart still has the $5 bin

4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The local Walmarts still have them here too.

But they are usually half-filled with DVDs in addition to cds. It's a major pain to even look through them anymore, and I generally don't bother.

If they bothered to make these easier to look through (like actually having them on a shelf/rack where you could flip through them and see the titles on the top of the cd case, like their normal cd stock), I think they'd sell easily twice as many of them, if not more.

It seems clear Walmart doesn't really care though.

5. Most stores have done away with the $5 bins. A few locations with lots of extra space still have them. Interestingly enough, they do still seem to be rotating in new $5 CDs.

ARK likes this.
  6. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I still get quite a few each week. enough to keep my 8 foot long racks full. Last week I sorted all the "Greatest Hits", "Best Of" & "Hits" compilartion CD's together to the second half of the racks to make it easier for my customers. I then made a "Playlist", "Icon", "20th Century Masters" & "Rhino" sections for easy access. I got a lot of words of appreciation from my customers for doing it too so that makes it worth doing even more.

cwitt1980, 2point1, ARK and 2 others like this.
  7. Best Buy has their cheap bin priced at $5.99. I've seen some Walmart locations have a $7 music bin with newer stuff and more recent greatest hits.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In the Walmart $5 bin I bought the Casablanca CD of Harry Simeone Chorale Little Drummer Boy, Dolly Parton-Home For Christmas and Jim Nabors Christmas.

Simon A likes this.
  9. Most stores seem to have received a wave of Christmas CDs priced at $5. It's a mix of older Christmas acts (Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, etc) and newer Pop acts.

10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Tjazz, PhantomStranger and Simon A like this.
  11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just picked up Diana Ross Icon.

[​IMG]

Darryl

12. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I picked up greatest hits from Guess Who and Stevie Ray Vaughan a few months ago but they were in the racks!

13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I see all three of these Guess Who CD's in my $5 racks from time to time. I always recommend the third one because it has 18 tracks instead of 12 & 14.
    [​IMG]

14. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Picked up a couple $5 Walmart CD’s today;
    Nirvana- In Utero
    SRVaughan - Greatest

15. I think these $5 batches tend to come in specific genre waves. Hard rock, country, R&B, newer pop, etc.

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Do any Wal Mart's actually still have these bins? Not seen any in this area for a long time.

17. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I know of one that has a bargain area among the regular shelves/racks whatever you wanna call em. Not a dump bin anymore but there are still 5 and 7 dollar discs. Not as good as it used to be but still some.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the dump bins for both movies and music are gone from the wal-marts in northeast ohio.

FYE has $5 and $7 bins for both CD's and movies however.

19. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

At my Walmart I am known as the "CD Guy" because I load the racks, keep the CD's organized on a daily basis & know what we have. When they got rid of the CD bin it was a blessing for the customers because they never liked digging through it. Through a major discussion with management, I was able to convince them to let me dedicate an 8 foot section of the racks to the $5 & $7 CD's which I also keep organized. My customers love it & buy a lot of CD's. I still buy a lot too.

melstapler, PhantomStranger and Dave like this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i always felt that, had they been organized, wal-mart would have sold a lot more of those $5 items. it truly was a total pain in the ass looking through those big round tubs,

melstapler and PhantomStranger like this.
  21. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The stores in my area still have the bins. One of the problems with the bin is damaged jewel cases. I see a lot of cracked ones.

melstapler likes this.
  22. I know of at least one Super Walmart that still has the $5 bin. Most stores have gone to stocking the $5 CDs in a normal retail shelf area.

I just picked up Van Halen's 1984 album in fact from Walmart.

melstapler and canonlon like this.
  23. A couple of new CDs have appeared. I saw dozens of Metallica's Black album and Crystal Visions, the Stevie Nicks' best-of compilation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.