$5.00 Bin At Walmart (1/26/12)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Yeah, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

It's actually called "The Yes Album".... I have the older Gastwirt masterings of Fragile, CTTE, Going For The One plus the YesYears 4-CD Boxset. I like the older masterings better than the Rhinos (One I forgot about, I since have bought 90215 (Rhino), and it was mainly for the bonus tracks)

2. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to get the MFSL version of TYA.

3. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Picked up 3 Bee Gees discs - Main Course, Spirits Having Flown & Children Of The World. And those were just hangin' out on top...gonna have to dig some more!

NJB

4. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

I'm with you. The Rhino TYA sounded weird to me. Too much low-freq EQ on "Clap" was the main thing I remember about that one. I re-purchased the Diament. I prefer the Gastwirt Fragile also.

The bonus tracks are nice to have though.

Anyway, I suppose I could re-buy the Gastwirt Classic Yes at Walmart, but I might just get the Diament for that one too.

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Give ya $10 for it! :agree:

6. 905

905 Senior Member

No... but I'll look more when I have my next digging session.

7. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I stopped into a Best Buy in Phoenix a few weeks ago before a long ride home. There was a whole case full of 5.00 cd's. I bought:

Doobie Brothers - Captain And Me
    Yes - Classic Yes
    Deep Purple - Made In Japan
    Lynyrd Skynard - Second Helping
    Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I took a quick look at the $5 bin at a Walmart in St. Louis over the weekend. I saw the $7 bin too, but didn't have time to look. I didn't buy anything at this point. I may head back over to a local Walmart this weekend and have another look.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll sell ya my sealed copy for a hundred.:D

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Keep the comments coming on what is in the $5 and $7 bins and the sound quality of what you get.

11. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Yeah, Rhino recently put that album into their Flashback budget-priced product line...

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Mine have 5, 7, and 9 dollar bins.

Tom Petty Full Moon Fever is in the 5 buck bin, so is The Time's first album.

Machine Head is also in there which I think Brad mentioned.

The shortened album version of Moody Blues Royal Albert Hall is there too.

13. 905

905 Senior Member

I noticed two Monkees budget CDs.
    One was a studio comp called Flashback, the other one was live versions, my guess is the 2001 tour.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have seen the original Best of Roberta Flack comp reissued as a Flashback budget line title at my local Wal-Mart as well. Wal-Mart has the reissued hits comp of Andy Gibb music for $7, the 1991 hits comp.

15. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

I'm jealous. I couldn't find any Bee Gees CDs, and believe me I looked.

16. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

You know that feeling when you have to do a doubletake when you see something unexpected in a mixed bin or cd rack? :eek: That's how I felt when I saw those three. And you don't get much more "middle of nowhere" than Paris, TN.

NJB

17. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Found Styx Grand Illusion AM+ cd press (most likely done by Uni in late 90s) in the $5 bin.

18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Mine had Main Course and Spirits Having Flown. I have a first Japanese pressing of Spirits Having Flown.

19. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

I can try another store. I'm not giving up on this. You guys have given me hope that I will find $5 Bee Gees CDs at Walmart.

:)

20. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Be forewarned: There are reports that Main Course sounds really terrible! Someone said it sounded like it was mastered in the WalMart AV department. (One of my friends confirms this - really bad.) No word on Children or Spirits yet.

21. BradOlson

I don't think that the Main Course Reprise CD sounds terrible but it isn't the best sounding CD I have either.

22. jabrow75

jabrow75 Forum Resident

I've seen in the $5 bin (aside from what's already been mentioned)
    Skid Row - Skid Row
    Aerosmith - Rocks
    The Cars - Heartbeat City
    several early George Strait CD's

In the $7 bin
    Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

23. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I think the only ones I've bought have been a Billy Ray Cyrus disc and The Bee Gees "Spirits Having Flown".

24. Having scoured both the Walmart and Best Buy bins, I would give the nod to Best Buy's selection. Walmart has a lot of junk to wade through for the gold, while Best Buy seems to have a more diverse selection of artists and genres. Walmart's mix seems firmly aimed at older baby boomers and mainstream country music fans. Best Buy at least tries to include popular artists from the 90's, including Hip Hop. Many Best Buys also have a separate $4.99 section on the racks away from the bin that is much easier to browse through than digging into a pile of hundreds of CDs.

Just today I picked up Kris Kristofferson's "The Austin Sessions" and Steve Earle's "El Corazon" from Best Buy in the bin.

25. BradOlson

I just bought the Bee Gees' Spirits Having Flown at my local Wal-Mart as well. Rickie Lee Jones' S/T CD is at my local Wal-Mart for $5 as well but since I have that CD, I didn't pick it up. Wal-Mart has plenty of $5 titles to suit my tastes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.