1. Please help us keep us afloat without banner ads. DONATE NOW! Please visit our 2015 Forum Fundraiser thread for details, or donate directly here. Thank you very much for your support!

5.1 speaker system recommendations - $750 to $1K price range

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Aggie87, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Hey all of you people who are much smarter than me:

I'm interested in setting up a 5.1 speaker system with some inexpensive equipment that I've got. I want to combine the speaker system with a Sony STR DE 998 receiver, and a Pioneer DVD/SACD/DVD-A player (one of the cheaper ones, but it will play everything). I plan to use this to listen to music primarily (jazz and rock), but also for occasional DVDs and tv.

I'm interesting in staying around $750-$1000 for the speaker set. I've looked at the box stores (BB & CC), and briefly online, and have looked at:

Klipsch Synergy Quintet III, with a Sub-10 or 12 subwoofer
    KEF KHT2005IIBLMP
    JBL SCS300.5
    Polk RM6880
    Infinity TSS-800

For my price range, are any of these particularly outstanding speaker systems? Are there like-priced others that are better choices?

2. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

IIRC the bronze series from monitor audio may be in your range. I cannot remember, but used it certainly would be.

3. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Forum Resident

Aggie89,
    I have these speakers and am happy with them:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3996145

The friend that recommended them paid around $500 when they were released and he is still happy with his decision.:)

Mine are connected to a Harmon Kardon AV 135 amp. I listen to mostly rock and pop in DVD-A and SACD formats. Pink Floyd, Stones, Neil Young etc.etc
    They fill my HI -Rez needs nicely and at this price they can't be beat.:thumbsup:

good luck,
    ex_mixer

4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Thanks, ex. That's a very good price for those.

Looking through what's available at jr.com, those Harman Kardon HKTS 18's look like they're pretty decent for the price ($500). Anyone have experience with these?

5. DeeJayBump

DeeJayBump Member

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm not a HT person, but I know they have a 5.1 system using the Atom, which I have two of in my BR, and love.

9. LeeS

LeeS Tubes Rule

+1 on bothe Paradigm and Monitor Audio. Maybe look at some of the newer Polks.

10. Attached Files:

11. LeeS

LeeS Tubes Rule

Which reminds me to add Gallo to the list. :D

12. You might want to go with an Oppo player rather than a cheap Pioneer. The Oppo will probably be both cheaper and better.

www.oppodigital.com

13. Gary Pelled, founder of Orb Audio, was co-founder of Anthony Gallo Acoustics.

The Orb Mod1 is basically an improved Gallo Nucleus Micro. Notice the family resemblance? ;)

14. LeeS

LeeS Tubes Rule

I may try the Orbs for my small HT room. High wife acceptance factor.

15. Try the antique copper finish. My wife picked mine out!

Attached Files:

16. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

I would go with all Mackie HR824 or HR646biamped monitors. these rare universally acclaimed even when used among audiophiles.

I got a Guitar Center card, where the HR624 were being slashed to $300/each for a HR624 (that's $300 off a pair)--which has optimized amps and electronic crossover sections , along with other acoustic compensation switches.

And my belief is a 5.1 system,is that ALL the speakers should be "large" and be exactly the same or basically the same with a slightly smaller woofer.

Most 5.1 mixes are mixed using 5 of the same bi-amped monitors and a sub, if needed

17. Feisal K

Feisal K Active Member

+2 for Paradigms

for under 1K perhaps you could fit 4x Paradigm Atoms and a CC170 + sub this would do for 5.1 music much better than satellite sized speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.