5.1 surround sound mixes - how are these enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Jacobsen, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I found that it took me a while (at least 10 different albums/listening sessions) to allow my ears/brain to adjust to the surround sound music idea. But once it did, I really really enjoyed it :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

That's right though, the lead vocalist should be in the centre speaker.

Lownote30 likes this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I know what you mean. I was extremely surprised that Sony put out the model that I have because it's a universal player. You're right that Sony wasn't on that track before. They were even phasing out SACD support as well. I got my player for really cheap after reading about it on here actually. I had to go to Best Buy and actually look at it to believe that it played DVD-A discs.

4. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

The benefit of the PC approach I've taken is that I can get bit-perfect sound not just from audio but from Blu Ray as well. I'm sure this is possible through an HDMI output on a 'all-player' component, but I work with an old 2003 Sony amp that has no HDMI (bought used for $125). My PC outputs to the analog inputs of the amp and I control everything from the PC. It's just so flexible and in my control and I can upgrade all my software as necessary. The only reason to change this setup would be if I could afford a bunch of upgrades: amplier and player for a start. I've got so much to catch up with that there's just no incentive for me to concern myself with media I'm missing.

Right now, I'm listening to The Orb, History of the Future. I could swear that my side speakers are playing music. It's clearly possible to use stereo to provide a much wider soundstage than a lot of music manages to do.

5. Lownote30

I wanted to have 5.1 for watching movies on my TV anyway, so that's why I have a receiver that can do all HDMI. When I watch a movie, or listen to music in surround sound, I like relaxing on my living room couch. I don't mind having to get up to change out the disc in my universal player.
    My stereo setup is a completely different system that consists of a receiver, floor standing speakers, my turntable, and a CD/SACD player (stereo only). I do have a separate stereo setup for my computer, but I use powered studio monitors with that because I write and record original music with it.

6. The Revealer

My PC is connected to my television by HDMI. It's a whole entertainment system. Basement cave with couch directly in front of TV. It's my personally constructed all-in-one. No one in the house wants the audio I do, so I'm glad to burrow away and do it all in the basement! A little carpeting, and the open ceiling with exposed joyces do a fine job of managing potential echo. The sound is maybe a bit too "open" at times, but that's not my system's problem!

Watching movies with the incredible sound is a whole new level for me. One word: Godzilla!

Lownote30 and mark winstanley like this.
  7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Some 5.1 is pretty bland and disappointing, for instance, the new Sgt. Pepper surround mix. I understand why that's so, the limitations of 4-track equipment in 1967 mean options for 5.1 are also limited.

OTOH, the Van Morrisson "Moondance" 5.1 is just gorgeous and a real treat for the ears.

8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just as a matter of interest ... if you were at a live concert would you like to hear the band on stage, or be right at the back of the auditorium with a noisy crowd in front of you? I ask because most surround concerts move the crowd to the rears, which keeps the soundstage you're interested in at the front, where you want it, and only uses the rears for crowd noise (and reverberation).

9. Lownote30

I would do it that way, but my computer has to be in a different room as it's part of a recording studio. Plus, my wife might want to watch something on TV while I'm using the computer, or vice versa.

The Revealer likes this.
  10. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Yes, but the sound is still all around you. If all of a sudden the ambiance of the room were to disappear it would sound odd and probably disconcerting.
    The sound of the space where the music is being played lends a lot to the sound of the music itself.
    I reminded myself that Another Side of Bob Dylan was one of the SACDs in the Dylan box from years ago. It's in surround, which initially seemed an odd choice, because it's just Bob and whatever he was playing. The most complicated it gets, is if he's also playing harp.
    Anyway, it sounds great in surround!
    You can hear the room.
    Classical music in surround really benefits from the sound of the concert hall.
    I may have mentioned this already, but listening to live music seems more to me like surround than it does stereo.

11. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Well I started my surround adventure in the early 90's by loving movies in surround. Bought a serious setup with a laserdisc-player as the icing on the cake. Back then everything was imported from US or Japan. Hardware and software. Suddenly I saw music discs and I was suddenly on that wagon as well. The crazy travel went on. Dvd, Dvd-A, Sacd, Blu-ray Audio and so on. Always bought MC if possible. 99 per cent of the discs also offer stereo. Today most of the stuff is ripped on PC in stereo for casual listening. But if I want the full enjoyment I put in the disc and go for 5.1. Actually I lost most of my collection in a fire 2012 but have tried to focus on buying Hi-rez in stereo and MC to rebuild the collection.

mark winstanley and fredblue like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There are people who have only one computer?

13. Steel Horse

And of course I enjoy Quad records as well. Loved the AF run of Quad Sacd's and have now discovered the stuff from Vocalion Dutton in UK. There is still hope.... :D

mark winstanley and fredblue like this.
  14. Lownote30

Uhhh. Yes. There are tons of people who have no computers. I have a smart phone, too, so I guess that's a computer. I mainly use my home computer for recording music. I usually browse the internet with my phone. I really dislike laptops, so I don't have one. I easily could go buy 3 of them today, but I don't need them.

15. Steel Horse

Just saw a thread about an upcoming release of a Doobie Bros Quad box. The interest for MC is met again. Life is good... :cool:

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i triple like this

17. mark winstanley

i only have one also lol and i reckon its legs are getting short :(

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Man. one is enough!

19. mark winstanley

sometimes it's too many

shokhead likes this.
  20. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

It may help to be a musician. As a musician, my interest in 5.1 is in the increased isolation of the various instruments. It's similar to what I get when I'm playing with the band. I also love being able to increase or decrease the lead vocal which is most often mixed to the center speaker and can be controlled with the "dialog" setting on my Denon receiver.

As many have noted, there are good and bad surround mixes. I don't have the Yes releases but I have many others that Steve Wilson has done and they are all excellent IMHO. The worst 5.1 surround mixes in my experience are those of live concerts. Ya just get more audience mixed to the side speakers. I do suffer from the experience you mention of getting out of my seat but I'm doing that just to make sure all speakers are firing with different sounds. Surround receivers can be set wrong such that your getting simulated surround. Which is to say that even as a lover of 5.1, the distraction issue is still a part of the experience.

21. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

That is my opinion as well on both releases you mention. The Moondance 5.1 is a gem. Unfortunately, the Sgt Pepper 5.1 is not. My first thought was that it was a big mistake not to let the folks who did the Yellow Submarine 5.1 and stereo remixes from multi-track do the Sgt. Pepper surround and multi-track remix. However, the problem may have been more a function of the 4-track source not affording enough options - with so many instruments already mixed to each track.

boggs and signothetimes53 like this.
  22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I've always had some surround SOMEthing in place since the early 70s. Wouldn't be without it.

At this point, there are 2 separate systems in two rooms. The 2-ch desktop server is the more "reference-y" of the two, but the 5.1 leaves little to be desired, at least here in Mid-Fi Land.

After all this time, it's literally a dream come true that King Crimson's catalog has been remixed for surround. And in high-quality fashion, no less.

It's not everybody's cuppa tea. There are many talking points, pros and cons, Audio Philosophies etc. Mixing, mastering, engineering are still critical. But you can say that about stereo too. Just another segment of a diverse hobby.

Enjoy it while you can.

23. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Yes but 'surround sound' in life doesn't represent a single listening object as a record does and I've personally found surround albums, at best, to be a kind of 'visit to the circus' with an album playing within it.
    The only one that worked for me was The Beatles 'Love' because it WAS conceived as a visit to the circus. But there's no others I'd be keen to repeat the experience with, I'm afraid.
    Perhaps albums that are conceived as surround albums but I can't think of too many examples. The classics, in surround format have all for one sounded like those 'expanded stereo' or 'super bass' buttons on nineties stereos.
    Not what I'm wanting to listen to, which is the original output of the artist and producer.
    I know Steven Wilson and some others are building tremendous reps but so far I just can't get with any that I've heard because after five minute I want to hear the actual album not the 3D confection.
    I 'd love to overcome this block but I suspect only bespoke surround creations for new music will get a pass.

24. mark winstanley

a lot of the albums were conceived with surround in mind - quadrophonic in the seventies.
    it isn't a circus act, or novelty. it's an artistic expression. if you don't like it, that's fine

25. The Revealer

Have we heard from the thread starter since the early pages? Quite a successful thread. Wondering if he's made any changes? Given it another try? @Mark Jacobsen ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.