5.1 surround sound mixes - how are these enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Jacobsen, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes but essential that the first run of colored vinyl which was a bad run / bad stamper?

It's been repressed, has anyone confirmed the repress?

2. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

There are too many unnamed variables in your experience to zero in on any particular problem with what you might have been hearing.
    I will say that a room set up for stereo listening can take some experimenting to get right, regarding speaker placement, etc. Multiply those difficulties by the amount of speakers for surround and you can have a system that's pretty unforgiving until its dialed in.
    My system, like many, have a series of settings designed to simulate a listening environment. Concert hall, jazz club, arena, each one sounding wonkier than the last. If you heard anything like that it probably sucked.
    There are recordings that accurately record the sound of the room. If the room your listening in is well set up, and the recording is too, you'll hear the difference. Lots of ifs.
    I don't agree with the idea of the natural aspect of the ambient sound of your listening room being a wanted replacement of the recorded environment. Most listening rooms are put together to remove any ambient personality of the room itself. That's what room treatment is all about. In a perfect listening room, the room itself does nothing to color the sound. The room disappears.

Lownote30 likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

In the instance i was referring, it was the issue of sony and warner pushing the two seperate formats for 5.1 (for their own gain and our loss). . In the process they essentially sabotaged the whole format.... almost to death. They also left so many people jaded, that a lot of people won't look at anything new. Bluray initially suffered kick back because of these stupid patent wars ... hd dvd died before it took a breath.

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

it's very much a repeat of what killed quad, sony had SQ and warner had CD4 and neither were compatable on vinyl and required separate decoders and it was confusing and annoying in real time...and and and...

5. mark winstanley

Yea. There have been many of these issues, vhs-beta ...
    The problem is having had so many format wars, the public has become jaded and cynical and the players at the top need to realise this before they destroy the industry altogether.
    I remember when cd's came out, my dad warned me about some seventies format wars

6. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

Surround mixes don't interest me much either. I have the Genesis remasters which include the 5.1 surround mixes and the novelty wore off about 10 minutes in for each disc. These may not be the best reference points but I don't really care about it for movies either. In fact, I find it so underwhelming that when I moved a few years back I never even set the speakers up in the new place. I mean, I guess it's cool to hear that quarter fall out of the homeless guy's trench coat in the left rear speaker while he flashes Whoopi Goldberg but meh. Stereo is perfectly fine.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

"Sit down son, the time is come to tell you of my time in the format wars. Yes, I served, me and my brother...your Uncle Bob... it seemed so glamorous then... what did we know? We were at wet behind the ears. Little did we know how ugly things would get..."

Lownote30 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

hahaha

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

All the 5.1 isn't real or is fake must hate going to the movies.

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

No those guys are ok, because they are hearing things in 7.1

11. mark winstanley

not sure what you mean by the novelty wore off after ten minutes. do you like the albums? not really understanding why you would stop listening to an album you like ....

zappinnati likes this.
  12. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

I like all of the albums but the 5.1 mix didn't interest me enough to continue listening to them in that mix. I just prefer to listen to them in stereo.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, you may be the expert here, but, I'm not gonna try and argue with anybody who exists in just three dimensions...! :nyah:

14. mark winstanley

and here is the fourth dimension :)

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I plead the 5th, Your Honor..

SandAndGlass and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I own all of those box sets. Nobody likes surround sound more than me. I have only listened to the Genesis 5.1 mixes a couple of times myself because they don't sound good. Seriously, listen to the Steven Wilson mixes. They are in a completely different league. It really isn't even close. Try the new Heavy Horses album for example.

DaverJ, Bill Mac, Lownote30 and 2 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'd like to be surrounded by Marilyn McCoo.

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

They aren't great but I found the more recent the album the better I found the surround to be, Invisible Touch and Duke were my faves of the surround mixes.

20. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Or are they hearing things in 24.1.10?

[​IMG]

I know, needs more subs right?
    :)

21. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

To me they’re a novelty: I’ll listen once or twice and just stick with the two channel playback. The only exception has been my DVD-A version of (Simple Minds’) New Gold Dream. Sounds better than the two or three standard CD versions I have.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you mean equipment to play Blu-ray Audio, DVD-A, DVD-V and SACD surround discs the cost of universal players are quite affordable IMO.

Lownote30, boggs and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

yea, not like it was way back lol ... you can get a whole system and some discs for what it used to cost

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

That's true now, but none of those formats is in its infancy. My point was that if you buy into a new format at the time of its launch, you are definitely going to pay a premium (lower cost players arrive later) and there's no guarantee that the format will take off, so you might end up with a player with limited content designed for it (for example, HD-DVD).

25. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

While I didn't describe 5.1 as fake or not being real, merely saying that I have never got on with it and it makes me feel kinda seasick, I DO hate going to the cinema these days, especially if the soundtrack is surround, for a combination of reasons, which would include over-loud soundtracks played on cruddy gear (just listen to all that distortion), and the seasick feeling from sounds whooshing around me on a surround soundtrack (made even worse if it's distorted).

I find that highly not enjoyable, hence my answer to the OP's question about how are these enjoyable...

apesfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.