5 Ingmar Bergman Films On DVD February 10th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MagicAlex, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

2. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Did Bergman make any non-swedish language movies other than The Serpent's Egg?

3. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Why torture me this way, Kevin? Why? Why? Why?

Ok, I'm better now. :)

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Oh, sweet!

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

Well, I just picked up the Trilogy from Criterion, pre-ordered the "Scenes from a Marriage" boxset, but I don't think I'll get this entire box.

But I'll definitely pick up "Persona". It's my favorite Bergman film, and I've been waiting since 1999 for it! I wish Criterion were doing it, but I'm hoping for the best.

"Shame" and "Anna" are really good flicks, and "Hour of the Wolf" is probably the closest Bergman ever came to a horror flick (much, much moreso than the allegorical fable "The Magician"). I like them all, but not sure if I need to own them. And "The Serpent's Egg"? Let's just say that even the greatest artists have to **** sometimes. ;)

6. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I picked up the box set of all these releases, but I've only had time to watch the trailers on each disc. Any reviews or opinions out there?

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The set and two of the individual titles are being recalled by MGM:
    Regards,

8. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Oh crap! :( Thanks for the word, though.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ideal purchase for Scott Walker.

10. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Anyone tried calling 877-646-4968 yet? I called, but got a message saying they were closed until January 5, 2004, which I assume means they haven't changed their after hours message. Anyone know how this recall is going to work?

11. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

According to this source, they will be re-released in May.

12. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Anyone heard any news about how MGM is going to handle the recall? I called three weeks ago, sent an email, but I've heard nothing.

13. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

All are at the least very good, but P E R S O N A is a brilliant low-hum of a movie, the kind that baffles anyone who refuses to get into its stark, thin, intense frequency. I was fortunate enough, in my early '20s, to have found it. Like BLOW-UP, a thread could be started about this film and run for many, many long pages....it is that fascinating and inscrutable.

But please: OPTIONAL sub-titles!!!!

ED :ed:

14. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

April 20 approaches, and I still have my original INGMAR BERGMAN COLLECTION. I have phoned and emailed MGM about the recall, but I have heard nothing from them. It is too late to return the set.

Does anyone have any info. regarding this recall? Will mgm replace the defective discs?

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Hopefully, they will be e-mailing folks who provided their contact information within the next couple of weeks to let them know what to do for replacement discs. Good luck!

Regards,

16. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Yeah . . . hopefully.

17. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Talked to a guy from MGM yesterday. He swore that the recall process is under way and I should be receiving the mailing labels soon. He said replacement discs should arrive 3 to 4 weeks after they receive my old discs.

Has anyone received their mailing labels yet? I want to feel better about this situation, but I won't until I receive the replacement discs. I'm still having trouble getting my fabled rebate from Dell, so perhaps my faith in the faceless isn't what it should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.