50-inch 4K TV coming to Wal-Mart for $598-

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by longdist01, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

At that price, does it really matter? :)

I don't think that kind of longevity will be a problem, but if you're concerned, get an extended warranty. Generally with electronics, if something hasn't failed in the first year (due to some faulty component or interconnect, etc), it should be fine beyond that.

bru87tr and JamieC like this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Certain cultures have it as a status thing to "throw out" working electronics for the newest model. They intentionally put the cardboard box out as well which always struck as an invitation to get robbed.

Seen it quite often here in Vancouver, especially when biking through affluent neighbourhoods around Christmas.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And so it begins. :sigh:

audiomixer and mj_patrick like this.
  5. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

4K? Really? I don't think I even sit far enough away from my current TV to be able to see a difference between 1080p and 720p. I'm pretty sure I have a 32" Toshiba flat screen and I am about 8 feet away.

6. But then you'd have to shop at Walmart :tiphat:

7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Picked up a 50" "Emerson" TV from Walmart last Thanksgiving (you head right - the sale was on Thanksgiving Day, for one hour) for $218. Pretty good picture and still working fine half a year later... If it's a true 4K for that price, that certainly would be worth looking into!

8. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Isn't this a good thing in general, or am I missing something? (Genuine question)

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Once people got used to the idea of replacing perfectly working cell phones every year, throwing out that "old" flat screen might seem normal in suburbia among those "certain" cultures. You know, when the battery dies in the remote, it's time to replace the TV...

10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I spent almost a grand from my Philips 32" LCD back in 2006. Overall, still going strong outside of a few "turn-on" issues(sometimes light is on, no sound/picture. Sometimes, sound, no picture). When this dies, I hope I can get the same life out of the new one. The prices have fallen so much, it's scary what you can get now. BUT.....I've heard some really bad things about "off/house brands. Along the lines of the panels lasting 6 months!

11. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

For the purposes of this discussion I'll concede that UHD is 4k and we're not holding out for full 4K DCI.

I see no need for 4K until you can get say 40% of programming in that resolution or until you can hook a computer to it and get *readable 4k* content.

I have a 1080P TV and a Dell 4k monitor for my Mac/PC. Other than some Sony Movies or low-bitrate Netflix programming I'm not sure if there is entertainment content at this point. And until it's 4:4:4 it's not much use as a montior.

And I run my UHD 4K computer monitor at an HiDPI 1920x1080 - the increase of density trumps the extra pixels for me right now.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, it's a bad thing. It shows that merely slapping a number on a cheap, crappy monitor doesn't make it good. There are horrible HD monitors out there, and now there's horrible 4K monitors. 4K is just another sticker to put on the box -- it has very little to do with picture quality per se.

It's kind of like taking a $299 speaker and putting a sticker on it that says, "20Hz-20,000Hz response!" Does that mean it sounds good? No, it just means they put a number on it.

Shak Cohen, Hutch, audiomixer and 6 others like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I guess we'll have to wait and see...having Walmart attached to some adds a negative before it's even available. Typical comment: I know it's gonna suck. yea that's it. It has to...LOL.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have yet to see a really cheap Walmart TV (particularly from extremely marginal brands like Hisense) that are worth a crap. If they can't make a $500 HD set that looks decent, I tend to doubt they're going to be able to make a 4K set that's any good for $98 more. In truth, it's hard to make a good set for $2000.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I feel the same but, the way technology is going who knows?

16. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Hi-Sense is turning out to be the new Funai. Bad but cheap. (Fungi's got better over time - so maybe that's bad. How about Montgomery Ward's Admiral brand.) Avoid Haier brand too. And Seiki.

One thing that did stand out was that Hisense is offering a standard 4 year warranty.

Maybe get it at Costco , which had a more generous return policy.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

You forgot "DIGITAL READY" :laugh:

It's exactly like megapixels in cameras-who cares? Other factors are much more important, and unfortunately ignored.

Same thing with TVs. At Costco the other day I could tell much picture clarity difference between the various TVs. Color/brightness differences, yes, but even looking closely the 4k's didn't seem much better.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Is bigger really better?

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes. :)

20. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Ask your wife. :righton:

thesisinbold likes this.
  21. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------------------
    Can 20K be far behind. More K's are better, right? Ain't America great.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    That is what I buy for my wife's night light. I now have one where the sound became so distorted that it is now my 32" computer monitor. My son had a Samsung that he tried to do the "consecutive running hours test" on that I will be taking to school next year. It was his gaming computer. WAS.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. The Wanderer

Now I know why I'm not married

CaptBeyond likes this.
  24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

You might be surprised at the quality of some of the cheap 4K sets. Sure some are crap, but others are made by the big companies (like Hitachi) under contract from American tech companies and look surprisingly good.

25. The Wanderer

Advancing technology quickly renders higher quality at lower prices possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.