50 Years of Love & Arthur Lee "Da Capo" "Forever Changes" "Love" & more: Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Mar 11, 2016.

1. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Thanks much for your review, it was very helpful and informative.

WilliamWes likes this.
  2. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man Active Member

Agreed, thanks very much

WilliamWes likes this.
  3. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Independent has released a top 25 of 1967....

The twenty greatest albums of 1967

1 Love-Forever Changes!!
    2 The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    3 The Velvet Underground/Nico-The Velvet Underground & Nico
    4 The Jimi Hendrix Experience/Are You Experienced?
    5 Aretha Franklin/I Never Loved a Man Like I
    Love You

Tuco, DTK, The Freedom Man and 2 others like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

VU&Nico is way more suited to late 1966. Regarding list choice, all you need is LOVE indeed.

WilliamWes likes this.
  5. WilliamWes

Alex, just wanted to thank you from when we were talking about what thread I would do next. Remember we were talking about Byrds or Spirit or someone like that, so I kept thinking in my head which artist and then I couldn't settle so I did a Monterey Pop thread finally and that anniversary is today, 50 years ago. Check it out if you have some time. I would love to see all the Love fan opinions about this festival (that Love should have been part of).

50th Anniversary: 1967 Monterey International Pop Festival: Performance-By-Performance

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

William, have to congratulate you on your lengthy LOVE thread most informative.

WilliamWes likes this.
  7. WilliamWes

You're always too kind to me Alex. Thank you again! You were with me the whole way through; missed you on the new thread so I thought I'd reach out. Love coming back here and seeing all the friendly names. When I replay Monterey Pop this weekend, I'm rewriting history and giving Love a 30 minute set. Yeah I'm still being too hardcore! :agree:

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Having a bit of a love fest here, te he.
    Ironically i don't have much of Monterey Pop, DVD or music ( dunno why). Seen the movie early 1970s. Have the book Hendrix on the cover.But, much prefer it to Woodstock.

WilliamWes likes this.
  9. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Awhile back I got a first pressing stereo for $25 (or I assume -1 matricies on both sides) really great album, I even enjoy the b-side. I need a copy of Forever Changes but it doesn't look to be in print currently unless I'm overlooking something.

10. WilliamWes

So July 11th Rhino released a new mono vinyl of the debut. You can see it here:

Love - Love | Rhino

Also, back on Lee's birthday this year, they posted a playlist of some covers of Love songs from the era.

Happy Birthday: Arthur Lee | Rhino

Luci Baines - by The American Four (posted on page 1 of this thread)
    My Diary - by Rosa Lee Brooks (posted on page 1)
    Feathered Fish - by Sons of Adam (posted on page 1)
    A Message to Pretty - Mike Lyman & the Little People
    7 & 7 Is - Eyes of Blue
    Signed D.C. - Axis Brotherhood
    Doggone - Alta Tension

I haven't heard the ones I didn't post yet. Anyway, nice to see the Rhino/Love relationship continue.

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. John54

John54 Forum Resident

I haven't weighed in in this thread because I only have Forever Changes and I haven't heard much else, My Little Red Book certainly and probably a couple of others, and I didn't want to keep checking in until Forever Changes came up (which it probably has by now in a thread started over a year ago).

Anyway, Forever Changes was probably the first LP I ever bought off a review (in Hit Parader). I didn't really like it, I didn't think Andmoreagain was quite as gorgeous as they said it was, I thought the opening line of Live and Let Live was a bit on the repulsive side and with the possible exception of You Set the Scene, I wasn't going to listen to it much.

Fast forward to 1977 or 1978, when I heard a song called Alone Again Or on the radio, by UFO. I liked it, so I bought Lights Out (and discovered the similarly wonderful Try Me). I noticed that Alone Again Or was the only track not written by a band member. One day in 1980 I was idly thumbing through Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia and I came to the page on Love, and I happened to notice Alone Again Or as one of the tracks on Forever Changes, so after a dozen years I dug out the LP and gave it a listen. Then another, and another ... and the rest is history. It's been a favourite since then, and it's my "summer of 1980" LP!

You Set the Scene is still my favourite, followed by ... Between Clark and Hilldale, and I could probably live without Bummer in the Summer but I generally just play the whole thing in its entirety.

richierichie, Tuco, DTK and 5 others like this.
  12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forum Resident

me too...start to finish

13. WilliamWes

So there hasn't been too much going on on the Love front since the release of The Complete Forever Changes single live CD and vinyl. I did find an article from this week on that album if people want some more info on it...

Exposé Online » Reviews » Arthur Lee & Love - Complete Forever Changes Live

After a brief synopsis of Love, he added a bit of detail...

So in 2003 Arthur Lee and Baby Lemonade, now called Love or Love Revisited, played a long string of dates in England accompanied by the Stockholm Strings and Horns, from January to August. Their Royal Festival Hall concert was released on Snapper that same year. In July, Arthur Lee and Love performed Forever Changes in front of 65,000 people at the Glastonbury music festival, a first experience for Arthur and bandmates. The set list copied the entire order of the 36-year-old album, sounding like a new release, and that performance is now available on RockBeat as Complete “Forever Changes” Live. These performances would have been seriously lacking without the strings and mariachi brass accompaniment, an element that Arthur wanted when he composed the music in the 60s, not an add-on by the producers. They ended their set as the sun was setting, with Arthur thanking all 65,000 for attending and then launched into “7 & 7 Is,” a fitting song to close their performance. This live recording is a perfect companion to the studio albums and the other live Love recordings.

14. richierichie

richierichie Forum Resident

William, a big thank you for starting this thread. I've been dipping in and out without contributing too much. The thing is other contributors have said what I would have said much more eloquently.
    That's it just thought I'd say thanks, Richie.

pobbard and WilliamWes like this.
  15. alexpop

One's still untouched if the Spirit moves you, just a thought.

WilliamWes likes this.
  16. WilliamWes

As we're gradually reaching the 50th anniversary of Forever Changes, I'll be more active on the thread. There's a celebration of 1960's music acts that will be happening November 4th of you're near L.A. Love Revisited will be there.

LA.-A-GO-GO Celebrates California's Rock, Soul and Surf Pioneers

When the history of Los Angeles rock 'n' roll is told, bands like The Beach Boys, the Byrds, and the Doors typically are mentioned as founding fathers. As great as those bands are, many other acts have played important roles too. The inaugural LA-A-GO-GO concert shines a spotlight on some of these beloved local music heroes in a remarkable gathering happening November 4, 2017 at the Regent Theater in downtown L.A.

Love Revisited: Maintaining the legacy of the groundbreaking psychedelic rock band led by the late Arthur Lee, Love revisited features Johnny Echols, original Love guitarist (and Lee's childhood friend), along with members of the acclaimed L.A. group Baby Lemonade. Lee picked Baby
    Lemonade to serve as his backing band in Love starting in 1994, and the group continued in this role until Lee's death in 2006.

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

That was one of my favorite lines upon first listen. :winkgrin:

Tuco and Ignatius like this.
  18. zphage

zphage Forum Resident

Indeed, I always thought it was very effective in getting one's attention, and also a characteristic of Lee's pretty straightforward approach to lyric writing

Tuco and rnranimal like this.
  19. John54

John54 Forum Resident

I got used to it. Great LP!

rnranimal likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

Yes. I've started a thread with that featured. Your input would be most welcome there.

The thread:
    LoVE--Johnny Echols & Love Revisited appreciation & upcoming concert tour dates

Also of note....I received info from Michael that I will be posting soon on how to get his Pegasus bio on his time with Love--complete with how to pre-order the book from Cadiz Publishing in the UK and receive it ahead of the store release date in November. Cadiz is republishing Michael's book to honor the 50th Anniversary celebration of Forever Changes.

WilliamWes likes this.
  21. Kalamaluh

Kalamaluh New Member

Hey Guys,

since the anniversary of Forever Changes is coming nearer and nearer I'm again struggling with an exact release date.
    I know this has been discussed several times in this thread, but...again...has anyone a valid information?
    German wikipedia says 1st of November (which I think is ********), some said it was around 3rd of December?

I'm planning a review for a german radio station and a more or less exact date would be perfect.

Well, otherwise...paint me white/yellow/black...

Yours!

WilliamWes likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

November as indicated by Torben Skott at the best Love forum and home page. But the exact date?
    ?? Also, Feb of 1968 in the UK.

Love Album Discography

Bruno Ceriotti has released his ebook of Love: MY LITTLE RED BOOK - LOVE DAY-BY-DAY 1945-1971
    Your best bet to get the real actual dates...

My Little Red Book

richierichie and WilliamWes like this.
  23. lemonade kid

Praise For My Little Red Book by Bruno Ceriotti

Johnny Echols: “Bruno is a very good researcher, he found stuff I’d long forgotten. It’s a fun book.”

Michael Stuart-Ware: “Bruno has written a great book that all LOVE fans everywhere will enjoy. It’s all in there.”

Gary Rowles: “Great amount of work here. Lots of dedication on your part.”

Don Poncher: “Bruno, you have facts about me I could not remember. Wonderful detailed book. LOVE fans everywhere should check this out!”

Scott 'Lemonade Kid' Earle: “This gentleman is an obsessive genius when it comes to documenting LOVE.”

Michael P. Selinsky: "Best Wishes Bruno, you went to a lot of effort researching and documenting the story of this outstanding band. Thank you!"

Michael Young: "Thank you, Bruno, for writing this incredible-looking little red Love book. Even as a diehard fan, I'm learning something new. You're blowing my mind (and we) with all this info."

Mike Dugo: "There's a ton of excellent info. There are also a couple of GREAT pictures I hadn't seen before. Nice job!"

Ira M. Borin: "You deserve it Bruno! I got to page 81 last night without even taking a break. I got 3 hours sleep and went to work! I don't do that! It is like reading a journal. Very cool and well written! I really enjoyed this Book! Never read anything this fast. This is the kind of History they should teach in school! At least it is interesting!"

Danny C. Chavis: "I think it's a very comprehensive bio really detailed!. Great job!"

John Ward: "I have, true to my word, purchased a copy - and I can warmly recommend it. As Bruno says, it is a very detailed chronology that provides a wealth of information about what happened and when. There are some great pictures as well as album sleeves and illustrations of singles. One of my favourite features is the back stories and subsequent careers of just about everyone who was in the band down to 1971. And so long serving and faithful band members like Frank Fayad are deservedly rescued from obscurity. I've often write about how well we Love fans have been served by what has appeared since the year 2000....remastered/expanded editions of all the key albums, various live sets, excellent and highly informative essays from Andrew Sandoval, the Einarson biography, the film Love Story....and now this treasure house from Bruno Ceriotti. I do urge everone to make the purchase...you really won't regret it."

Georgiana Steele-Waller: "This is really good and informative! It's like reading a journal of the times."

Annie Golightly: "I'm absolutely giddy with joy at the prospect of this book! Just read it and it looks great - you have used some smashing photographs, many of which I have never seen before. How wonderful for you to have worked so closely with such legendary figures. I keep Einarson's book next to my bed and now I'll have your book permanently on my computer - LOVE on earth must be. Thanks, Bruno."

Mark Easter: "Very impressive work, Bruno."

David P. Housden: "As the editor of 'The Castle', I cannot recommend this book highly enough! Bruno sent it to me yesterday & I've printed it out. My first reaction was that there are a number of photographs which I haven't seen before. There is also an extensive amount of original research, including comments from both Johnny Echols & Michael Stuart-Ware. I also like the day by day format. I'm going to get my copy bound & it will be a fine edition to the Love book collection."

Tony Scully: "Just downloaded my copy of Bruno's book - have to say it's just great."

Annette Ferrell: "I am just so glad to have it. I read it, I loved it, couldn't put it down, very interesting, very factual, and accurate as I recall."

Robert Taylor: "Many thanks for the book - it looks and reads fantastic."

Mike Stax: "My Little Red Book is a thorough day-by-day chronicle of Arthur Lee and Love, beginning with Lee’s birth on March 7, 1945, and ending with the dissolution of the Blue Thumb-era band in July 1971. There is also a “Where Are They Now” postscript covering all the principle musicians. The timeline is clearly and accurately laid out, taking in all the documented recording sessions, live appearances and other significant events in the Love story. It’s enhanced by anecdotes from Johnny Echols, Michael Stuart-Ware, Bobby Beausoleil, and Jay Donnellan. There’s some great, previously unheard stories mixed in here. There’s plenty more fascinating tidbits to be dug here, along with all the hard data about which date which songs were recorded and exactly when Love played such-and-such a venue. There are also numerous photos and illustrations, most but not all are good quality. My Little Red Book is a useful resource for any Love fan."

Sujit Sinha: "An important and well researched book for both casual and hard core fans of Love. Filled with previously unseen or rarely published photos and bits of information, the day by day format ensures that your love for Love grows every day. Take a print out and it will make a handy companion to the music of Love and I wish we also see a book by Bruno on post 1971 activities of Love very soon."

24. lemonade kid

I'm finding Nov 30, 1967, but...try Bruno's book. I'll ask a Love authority I know

25. WilliamWes

Thanks Richie, you have some great threads going yourself and I know they take up a lot of your time, but cool you got a chance to stop by.
    Thank you, I will stop by there sometime today unless something I don't know about comes up. I read some of it recently.
    Wow, it's about time and a year late but I'm glad it's actually out. If it's day to day, do you know if it does have an exact release date for Forever Changes?

richierichie likes this.