50 Years of Love & Arthur Lee "Da Capo" "Forever Changes" "Love" & more: Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Mar 11, 2016.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

November as indicated by Torben Skott at the best Love forum and home page. But the exact date?
    ?? Also, Feb of 1968 in the UK.

Love Album Discography

Bruno Ceriotti has released his ebook of Love: MY LITTLE RED BOOK - LOVE DAY-BY-DAY 1945-1971
    Your best bet to get the real actual dates...

My Little Red Book

richierichie and WilliamWes like this.
  2. lemonade kid

Praise For My Little Red Book by Bruno Ceriotti

Johnny Echols: “Bruno is a very good researcher, he found stuff I’d long forgotten. It’s a fun book.”

Michael Stuart-Ware: “Bruno has written a great book that all LOVE fans everywhere will enjoy. It’s all in there.”

Gary Rowles: “Great amount of work here. Lots of dedication on your part.”

Don Poncher: “Bruno, you have facts about me I could not remember. Wonderful detailed book. LOVE fans everywhere should check this out!”

Scott 'Lemonade Kid' Earle: “This gentleman is an obsessive genius when it comes to documenting LOVE.”

Michael P. Selinsky: "Best Wishes Bruno, you went to a lot of effort researching and documenting the story of this outstanding band. Thank you!"

Michael Young: "Thank you, Bruno, for writing this incredible-looking little red Love book. Even as a diehard fan, I'm learning something new. You're blowing my mind (and we) with all this info."

Mike Dugo: "There's a ton of excellent info. There are also a couple of GREAT pictures I hadn't seen before. Nice job!"

Ira M. Borin: "You deserve it Bruno! I got to page 81 last night without even taking a break. I got 3 hours sleep and went to work! I don't do that! It is like reading a journal. Very cool and well written! I really enjoyed this Book! Never read anything this fast. This is the kind of History they should teach in school! At least it is interesting!"

Danny C. Chavis: "I think it's a very comprehensive bio really detailed!. Great job!"

John Ward: "I have, true to my word, purchased a copy - and I can warmly recommend it. As Bruno says, it is a very detailed chronology that provides a wealth of information about what happened and when. There are some great pictures as well as album sleeves and illustrations of singles. One of my favourite features is the back stories and subsequent careers of just about everyone who was in the band down to 1971. And so long serving and faithful band members like Frank Fayad are deservedly rescued from obscurity. I've often write about how well we Love fans have been served by what has appeared since the year 2000....remastered/expanded editions of all the key albums, various live sets, excellent and highly informative essays from Andrew Sandoval, the Einarson biography, the film Love Story....and now this treasure house from Bruno Ceriotti. I do urge everone to make the purchase...you really won't regret it."

Georgiana Steele-Waller: "This is really good and informative! It's like reading a journal of the times."

Annie Golightly: "I'm absolutely giddy with joy at the prospect of this book! Just read it and it looks great - you have used some smashing photographs, many of which I have never seen before. How wonderful for you to have worked so closely with such legendary figures. I keep Einarson's book next to my bed and now I'll have your book permanently on my computer - LOVE on earth must be. Thanks, Bruno."

Mark Easter: "Very impressive work, Bruno."

David P. Housden: "As the editor of 'The Castle', I cannot recommend this book highly enough! Bruno sent it to me yesterday & I've printed it out. My first reaction was that there are a number of photographs which I haven't seen before. There is also an extensive amount of original research, including comments from both Johnny Echols & Michael Stuart-Ware. I also like the day by day format. I'm going to get my copy bound & it will be a fine edition to the Love book collection."

Tony Scully: "Just downloaded my copy of Bruno's book - have to say it's just great."

Annette Ferrell: "I am just so glad to have it. I read it, I loved it, couldn't put it down, very interesting, very factual, and accurate as I recall."

Robert Taylor: "Many thanks for the book - it looks and reads fantastic."

Mike Stax: "My Little Red Book is a thorough day-by-day chronicle of Arthur Lee and Love, beginning with Lee’s birth on March 7, 1945, and ending with the dissolution of the Blue Thumb-era band in July 1971. There is also a “Where Are They Now” postscript covering all the principle musicians. The timeline is clearly and accurately laid out, taking in all the documented recording sessions, live appearances and other significant events in the Love story. It’s enhanced by anecdotes from Johnny Echols, Michael Stuart-Ware, Bobby Beausoleil, and Jay Donnellan. There’s some great, previously unheard stories mixed in here. There’s plenty more fascinating tidbits to be dug here, along with all the hard data about which date which songs were recorded and exactly when Love played such-and-such a venue. There are also numerous photos and illustrations, most but not all are good quality. My Little Red Book is a useful resource for any Love fan."

Sujit Sinha: "An important and well researched book for both casual and hard core fans of Love. Filled with previously unseen or rarely published photos and bits of information, the day by day format ensures that your love for Love grows every day. Take a print out and it will make a handy companion to the music of Love and I wish we also see a book by Bruno on post 1971 activities of Love very soon."

3. lemonade kid

I'm finding Nov 30, 1967, but...try Bruno's book. I'll ask a Love authority I know

4. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

Thanks Richie, you have some great threads going yourself and I know they take up a lot of your time, but cool you got a chance to stop by.
    Thank you, I will stop by there sometime today unless something I don't know about comes up. I read some of it recently.
    Wow, it's about time and a year late but I'm glad it's actually out. If it's day to day, do you know if it does have an exact release date for Forever Changes?

richierichie likes this.
  5. lemonade kid

It does not...can't understand why it is such a mystery. Arthur must be up there somewhere laughing--he always did like to keep 'em guessing.

Wiki says Nov. 30, 1967 in the albums released in USA 1967.

WilliamWes likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

No luck except wiki--Nov 30th

7. WilliamWes

I can't find anything specific either. Somewhere I thought I saw Nov. 24 but I'm not sure. I checked Discogs and they had a message I hadn't seen before...don't know if this is correct...-they even have this background info without an exact date for the release.

First pressings info: It is hard to find a copy that plays without excessive surface noise. This is not necessarily because the vinyl is of poor quality, but because the recording itself had to be mastered very softly (due to its length, dynamic range and stereo separation.)
    Elektra had this title pressed in 1967 by three different plants: Allentown (AL), Columbia, Terre Haute (CTH) and Monarch (MON). Each plant was sent a different master lacquer to cut from (rather than a copy of the mastertape which was more common in those days), thus ensuring that all pressings had similar high sound quality. Although these three cuttings are almost identical, there is a distinction between pressings when it comes to vinyl quality: Allentown & Columbia copies are usually quieter than the ones from Monarch because they used a higher quality vinyl mixture which is especially preferable when it comes to this album.

Tuco likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

Thanks! Great info.

My NM vinyl is very quite ("AL" etched in the trail-off), but then it looks to have hardly ever been played (still in the opened shrink wrap) -- though I play it often, it is with great care.

WilliamWes likes this.
  9. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

My Allentown pressing is very quiet and still sounds great to me.

lemonade kid likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

[​IMG]
    Favorite EleKtra album?
    Yes sir.

11. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

It`s maybe late to reply @John54 but if you haven`t bought the first S.T. album, Da Capo and Four Sail by now you really must. Simple.

I just ordered this book but shipping wasn`t added to the price. Seeing as the book is so inexpensive I don`t want to see Bruno out of pocket.

Favourite Elektra album????? It`s my favourite album EVER!!!!! Yes siree!

DTK and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

[QUOTE="richierichie, post:
    Favourite Elektra album????? It`s my favourite album EVER!!!!! Yes siree![/QUOTE]
    For decades it used to be Morrison Hotel.

richierichie likes this.
  13. lemonade kid

For decades it used to be Morrison Hotel.[/QUOTE]
    Interestingly, Jac Holzman once told me (in an email communication) that Morrison Hotel was his favorite album cover from Elektra. Forever Changes is my big time all time favorite too.

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Iconic Hard Rock Cafe pic indeed.
    Thanks for the information.

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

16. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

2 more days to the 50th anniversary month of Forever Changes (in the US) but no sign of a commemorative release. Here is a Facebook page that's keeping me happy: Forever Changes

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

What happened with Elektra on this one?

18. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

WilliamWes and pobbard like this.
  19. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

It was in the liner notes for False Start but Unterberger might have been wrong.
    Messageboard For Love Fans - John Sterling interview on Bry, Live Love lp

WilliamWes likes this.
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

According to Johnny Echols' post on Facebook, it was November 1st:

Fifty years ago today, LOVE - Forever Changes was released. On that day our lives were changed forever... Congratulations Arthur Taylor Lee... Bryan Andrew Maclean... Kenneth Raymond Forssi... Michael Stuart-Ware... And John Marshall Echols... and for each and every one of you who listened too, or purchased FC, making it one of the top albums of all time... THANK YOU!

deanrelax likes this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Right from the horse's mouth:

Johnny, there's been some speculation on the Steve Hoffman forum as to what the exact release date was. Apparently it's not well-documented. Was it indeed 11/1/67 or was it 11/30/67 as some have suggested?

Johnny Echols The official release date was November 1st, though it wasn't available to all the records stores until later in the month. It was really hard to find a store that had FC outside of the Los Angeles area, until mid-December.

22. WilliamWes

Excellent information and thanks so much for taking the time to find out and post it here. HAPPY 50th anniversary to LOVE'S FOREVER CHANGES!!!

lemonade kid, JuanTCB and action pact like this.
  23. popnytt

popnytt Forum Resident

[​IMG] 1967 TOUR

Jan. 6th- Whiskey a Go-Go, West Hollywood, CA

Jan. 7th- Whiskey a Go-Go, West Hollywood, CA

Feb. 6th- Valley Music Theater, Woodland Hills, CA

Feb. 11th-Santa Clara Fairgrounds, CA

Feb 14th- Hullabaloo, West Hollywood, CA

Mar. 3rd- Winterland, San Francisco, CA

Mar. 21st-Mar. 26th- The Rock Garden, San Francisco, CA

Apr. 7th- The Merced Legion Hall, Merced, CA

Apr. 8th-Turlock Fairgrounds, Turlock, CA

May 19th-Winterland, San Francisco, CA

May 20th- Winterland, San Francisco, CA

June 2nd-Pasadena Civic Auditorium, Pasadena, CA

June 24th-Valley Music Theater, Woodland Hills, CA

Dec. 15th-Dec. 17th- Blue Law,Torrance, CA

Dec. 28th-Dec 30th-Whiskey a Go-Go, West Hollywood, CA

Late to discovering this topic. I'm attempting to attach a few adverts for 1967 gigs not listed in the above chronology,such as Bido Lito's / Whiskey /Cheetah, but am having difficulty navigating the function to include the jpeg files. Any one able to help?

lemonade kid and Scope J like this.
  24. lemonade kid

Brilliant! Thanks so much!

WilliamWes likes this.
  25. popnytt

popnytt Forum Resident

Is there a means by which one can upload a jpeg file from the computer? The "Post Reply" tab only appears to offer an url option for attaching images. I have a few vintage 60's gig adverts that have not been posted, for gigs that do not appear in the chronology listed on post #320.