50 Years of Love & Arthur Lee "Da Capo" "Forever Changes" "Love" & more: Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Mar 11, 2016.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forum Resident

It does not...can't understand why it is such a mystery. Arthur must be up there somewhere laughing--he always did like to keep 'em guessing.

Wiki says Nov. 30, 1967 in the albums released in USA 1967.

WilliamWes likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

No luck except wiki--Nov 30th

3. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't find anything specific either. Somewhere I thought I saw Nov. 24 but I'm not sure. I checked Discogs and they had a message I hadn't seen before...don't know if this is correct...-they even have this background info without an exact date for the release.

First pressings info: It is hard to find a copy that plays without excessive surface noise. This is not necessarily because the vinyl is of poor quality, but because the recording itself had to be mastered very softly (due to its length, dynamic range and stereo separation.)
    Elektra had this title pressed in 1967 by three different plants: Allentown (AL), Columbia, Terre Haute (CTH) and Monarch (MON). Each plant was sent a different master lacquer to cut from (rather than a copy of the mastertape which was more common in those days), thus ensuring that all pressings had similar high sound quality. Although these three cuttings are almost identical, there is a distinction between pressings when it comes to vinyl quality: Allentown & Columbia copies are usually quieter than the ones from Monarch because they used a higher quality vinyl mixture which is especially preferable when it comes to this album.

4. lemonade kid

Thanks! Great info.

My NM vinyl is very quite ("AL" etched in the trail-off), but then it looks to have hardly ever been played (still in the opened shrink wrap) -- though I play it often, it is with great care.

WilliamWes likes this.
  5. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

My Allentown pressing is very quiet and still sounds great to me.

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

[​IMG]
    Favorite EleKtra album?
    Yes sir.

7. richierichie

richierichie Forum Resident

It`s maybe late to reply @John54 but if you haven`t bought the first S.T. album, Da Capo and Four Sail by now you really must. Simple.

I just ordered this book but shipping wasn`t added to the price. Seeing as the book is so inexpensive I don`t want to see Bruno out of pocket.

Favourite Elektra album????? It`s my favourite album EVER!!!!! Yes siree!

DTK and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

[QUOTE="richierichie, post:
    Favourite Elektra album????? It`s my favourite album EVER!!!!! Yes siree![/QUOTE]
    For decades it used to be Morrison Hotel.

richierichie likes this.
  9. lemonade kid

For decades it used to be Morrison Hotel.[/QUOTE]
    Interestingly, Jac Holzman once told me (in an email communication) that Morrison Hotel was his favorite album cover from Elektra. Forever Changes is my big time all time favorite too.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Iconic Hard Rock Cafe pic indeed.
    Thanks for the information.

11. bekayne

bekayne Forum Resident

12. auralden

auralden Member

2 more days to the 50th anniversary month of Forever Changes (in the US) but no sign of a commemorative release. Here is a Facebook page that's keeping me happy: Forever Changes

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

What happened with Elektra on this one?

14. auralden

auralden Member

WilliamWes and pobbard like this.
  15. bekayne

bekayne Forum Resident

It was in the liner notes for False Start but Unterberger might have been wrong.
    Messageboard For Love Fans - John Sterling interview on Bry, Live Love lp

WilliamWes likes this.
  16. action pact

action pact ^^ Sandy Warner, "The Exotica Girl"

According to Johnny Echols' post on Facebook, it was November 1st:

Fifty years ago today, LOVE - Forever Changes was released. On that day our lives were changed forever... Congratulations Arthur Taylor Lee... Bryan Andrew Maclean... Kenneth Raymond Forssi... Michael Stuart-Ware... And John Marshall Echols... and for each and every one of you who listened too, or purchased FC, making it one of the top albums of all time... THANK YOU!

deanrelax likes this.
  17. action pact

action pact ^^ Sandy Warner, "The Exotica Girl"

Right from the horse's mouth:

Johnny, there's been some speculation on the Steve Hoffman forum as to what the exact release date was. Apparently it's not well-documented. Was it indeed 11/1/67 or was it 11/30/67 as some have suggested?

Johnny Echols The official release date was November 1st, though it wasn't available to all the records stores until later in the month. It was really hard to find a store that had FC outside of the Los Angeles area, until mid-December.

auralden and WilliamWes like this.
  18. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Excellent information and thanks so much for taking the time to find out and post it here. HAPPY 50th anniversary to LOVE'S FOREVER CHANGES!!!

lemonade kid, JuanTCB and action pact like this.
  19. popnytt

popnytt Active Member

[​IMG] 1967 TOUR

Jan. 6th- Whiskey a Go-Go, West Hollywood, CA

Jan. 7th- Whiskey a Go-Go, West Hollywood, CA

Feb. 6th- Valley Music Theater, Woodland Hills, CA

Feb. 11th-Santa Clara Fairgrounds, CA

Feb 14th- Hullabaloo, West Hollywood, CA

Mar. 3rd- Winterland, San Francisco, CA

Mar. 21st-Mar. 26th- The Rock Garden, San Francisco, CA

Apr. 7th- The Merced Legion Hall, Merced, CA

Apr. 8th-Turlock Fairgrounds, Turlock, CA

May 19th-Winterland, San Francisco, CA

May 20th- Winterland, San Francisco, CA

June 2nd-Pasadena Civic Auditorium, Pasadena, CA

June 24th-Valley Music Theater, Woodland Hills, CA

Dec. 15th-Dec. 17th- Blue Law,Torrance, CA

Dec. 28th-Dec 30th-Whiskey a Go-Go, West Hollywood, CA

Late to discovering this topic. I'm attempting to attach a few adverts for 1967 gigs not listed in the above chronology,such as Bido Lito's / Whiskey /Cheetah, but am having difficulty navigating the function to include the jpeg files. Any one able to help?

lemonade kid and Scope J like this.
  20. lemonade kid

Brilliant! Thanks so much!

WilliamWes likes this.
  21. popnytt

popnytt Active Member

Is there a means by which one can upload a jpeg file from the computer? The "Post Reply" tab only appears to offer an url option for attaching images. I have a few vintage 60's gig adverts that have not been posted, for gigs that do not appear in the chronology listed on post #320.

22. lemonade kid

Use free photo uploaders to grab a JPEG image from your computer, then just paste the "Hotlink For Forums" ULR in your post/reply window--I use:

Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload

If you want to get rid rid of extraneous text (it will appear with the photo in your post) get rid of the first and last bracketed info and just leave the center bracketed ULR info after you have dragged the info to the "Reply" window.

:tiphat: