$500 speaker recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jack Flannery, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have screwed up the finish of one of my Focal 826W speakers. I've decided to get some relatively inexpensive temporary replacements that will then move in to my other room. I have decided to loosely budget $500. I am considering.
    1) Rogue 2-ways. The Chorus line is marked way off at Music Direct. I'm familiar with the sound.
    2) MMG's. Never heard them and am not traveling 200 miles to do so.
    3) Warfedale Denton 2-way. These are very nice looking in an old-school way. Anybody heard them?

Anything else? Bear in mind that although I live in the 4-th largest city in the US, there is doodly squat for audio. I wish I wouldn't have sold my Vandie 1c's to a friend but he isn't selling them back.

Oh, I listen to jazz and rock almost exclusively.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    bhazen likes this.
  2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

bhazen and tyler928 like this.
  3. cjg2

cjg2 Forum Resident

I've never heard (1) or (3), but highly recommend MMGs. I can't say enough good things about them. I've owned a pair (or older SMGs) continuously for 20 years. The only caveat is that they need to be placed 2-3 feet away from walls to sound their best. I've never had a problem with that, but I imagine it could be a problem for some rooms. I think they hold their value pretty well, too, in case you want to sell them later on.

You might also consider some cheap used, older speakers like Dynaco A-25 and AR-2 or AR-4. These occasionally pop up on Craiglist and yard sales for under $100 a pair and sound many times that. Their drivers are usually fine (cloth surrounds), but they benefit greatly from crossover capacitor replacement and potentiometer cleaning.

Good luck and good listening!

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I think you need to tell us more about what you listen to, how loud you listen to it, and the space you listen to it in.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

A possible dumb question, on a speaker hunt, would these be a nice upgrade over my polk tsi 400's? the price is very attractive!

bhazen likes this.
  7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I have not heard them, but several participants on REG's (of TAS) forum, including REG himself, really like these:

http://tinyurl.com/kxkcf9q

They are occasionally on sale for $99 each.

Mike

8. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I own the MMG’s and bought them direct from Magnepan a few years ago. They give a 60 day home
    trial and a trade in policy to upgrade to the 1.7’s if your interested. Mine are well past the warranty but
    I’m planning to upgrade in the near future. If you have the room and amp power there a no brainer.

Magnepan

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If you can get 'em...

Tannoy DC4
    Mission 751
    Castle Knight 1 or 2
    Pioneer S-71B

Depends on the size of your room, etc, but they're all very fine standmount speakers. Even today, the 751 is a great little box and we're talking 20 years or so on.

10. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Oh my, yes.

c-eling likes this.
  11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

One other that's a bit left field: Cambridge Audio Aero 2. These have been a slow burner but picked up some great reviews. Definitely worth a look. Too big for my room, but I'd have auditioned a pair at the drop of a hat.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/700-cambridge-audio-aero-2-loudspeakers

12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Bruce for the straight answer! :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    bhazen likes this.
  13. bhazen

I have a pair. Very nice, and, in my opinion, good enough to make the little Harbeths, Spendors, etc. sweat. A comfy listen; warmish, but still toe-tapping. Forgiving of harsh source material.

14. bhazen

Spendors, not @#$%ing Sponsors. @#$% Spellcheck.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

16. Jack Flannery

I am leaning that direction. They will move into my second office when I get my speaker fixed.

bhazen likes this.
  17. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

You're getting rid of your speakers because you marred the finish??

18. Jack Flannery

No. I'm fixing them. Big ole hunks of 3/8" glass rained down. Quite the mess. It looks like total crap.

19. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I owned the MMG's and they're the best speakers I'd heard under a grand new but for hard rock they need mundo power for satisfying bass and they're very tricky to properly place in a smaller room.

20. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Another vote for the 751s. Even tastier with a 75AS sub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.