50th Anniversary: 1967 Monterey International Pop Festival: Performance-By-Performance

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WilliamWes, Jun 1, 2017.

1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I've realized a thankless task: Trying to find footage of Mr. Redding not truly enjoying himself and giving his all in his chosen vocation.

ash1, raphph, fr in sc and 3 others like this.
  2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

A 19-year old Jackson Browne was at the festival.

3. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I know I'm way late to this party but I have a couple of mildly interesting tales.

I was talking to a friend of my Dad's in 1984 or '85 and I was 18 and had just seen the VHS of Monterey Pop. I was blown away and was telling this guy about it and he told me he was there! He was in the Army stationed around there and went to it. I very excitedly asked him about what bands he liked, how the music was, etc. He got embarrassed and said he doesn't remember any of it. "None of it?" I asked aghast. He just shook his head. I knew then that drugs were not for me. To be at something like that and have no memory of it.

My other story is from graduate school. We had this married couple professors that were from Berkley. I asked the wife when she graduated high school and she said 1967. I asked her if she made it to the Monterey Pop Festival and she said she missed it because she was in England for the summer. I said what a bummer that must be, but she said The Beatles had just released Sgt. Pepper's and Love Love Love was all over the place and it was beautiful and a great time to be there, so she didn't mind missing the Festival. She'd seen many of the bands anyway.

Ken Wood and jamesmaya like this.
  4. alexmontrose

alexmontrose New Member

U whooo....I see you ;-)

5. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes, Mr. Desper posted with some detail here at this forum some years ago regarding doing the sound etc. for the Festival and of recordings he made of some of the acts and iirc how he felt either the sound from where he was and/or the sound on some of the tapes he has, of some of the bands, may have been superior to the sound of some of what has been officially released, at least that was how I interpreted my reading of it fwiw. Was very interesting and enjoyable to read his posts about the Festival and parts of them became controversial in context. I believe that thread was eventually closed here on the SH forum, though it may still be searchable under a Jimi Hendrix title thread iirc.

6. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

Hey!! Alex, it's nice to read you. Glad to see you here, I bet you ran into some others you've known here too. It's a big place but it's easy to find what you're looking for. As you see, I'm still stuck in the 60's, but I'll be out sometime soon. This was one of only two threads I started so I'm glad you found it and came through. I figured everyone knows a few of these artists that played at Monterey so what the hey! I'll PM you so we can talk on the side when you get a chance.

alexmontrose likes this.
  7. alexmontrose

alexmontrose New Member

Nahhh...I didn't run into anybody. Didn't look. Because I came over here to bother you. LOL....

You've now missed 18 shuffles...from 5 people. Ten songs per shuffle. So if my math is correct, 50 songs times 18..that would be about 900 songs. From all *DIFFERENT* years/artists...imagine that. But even some 60's ones ! ;)

I know you started that thread and you have to see it through...but I'm just surprised you're such a 60's junkie. A couple of the other &*&%$ in that thread...it's absolutely no surprise...but for different reasons.

You.....on the other hand...are always welcome in other threads. You probably didn't have time with the Shuffle thread...but it's going strong, very cool music week in, week out.

So yeah, I'll check back. PM me, maybe leave an email addy because for now....I'm probably not going to be here that often.

WilliamWes likes this.
  8. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means Thread Starter

Alex I wrote a whole long message and then I sent it but it says you can't receive them. I don't think its your setting but it may be that you haven't written enough posts. I'm not sure. It might be in small print somewhere on here about receiving PM's.

alexmontrose likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Finally watched the Outakes disc with @Mazzy last night. Loved it all but Keith Moon in The Who footage was absolutely magnificent. What a creative force.
    Wish they could release a mega disc DVD box set with every performance filmed at the festival . I'd buy it in a second.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

@WilliamWes & @alexmontrose - You two are now connected via a PM. Check your inbox.

hodgo and Retro Hound like this.
  11. Maciej

Maciej Forum Resident

The above picture is not from 1967. There are on the left, Henry Vestine sitting, Bob Hite fronting and singing, Tony de la Barreda on bass and fito de la Parra on drums.
    Comments: fito de la Parra came to the band in DEC 1967 and Tony de la Barreda came in May 1970 - he replaced Larry Taylor .

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Maciej

Maciej Forum Resident

According to Marina Bokelman who recorded Canned Heat's gigis in Ash Grove in 1967 Frank Cook sang a song called There is Something on Your Mind.

janschfan and beccabear67 like this.
  13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I wonder what ever happened to the blonde girl cleaning the seats on all those folding chairs?

fr in sc and Lee Davis like this.
  14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

15. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Hear, hear!!! Whenever I watch the Outtakes disc I always end up laughing with astonishment at Moonie, no matter how often I've seen it. I also love how it gradually dawned on one of the cameramen to quit focusing on Daltrey and keep the lens on Moon.

ooan, Dave Armstrong and chacha like this.
  16. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

That would be the best edition of the last 40 years. Guess impossible.

chacha likes this.
  17. Dan Musicant

Dan Musicant New Member

WilliamWes likes this.
  18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Al Kooper: vocals, organ
    Harvey Brooks: bass
    Elvin Bishop: guitar
    Billy Davenport: drums
    From the great book on the festival, A Perfect Haze, by Harvey and Kenneth Kubernik

WilliamWes likes this.
  19. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Whenever I see the shot of the plane I'm always astonished how much black smoke is belching from the thing. Cough! Cough!!

20. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I hate that Crosby in his first biography claimed he joined the Springfield. Sitting in for one performance isn't the same as joining. I always felt he was part of CSN and later Y mainly because he could score better dope than the rest of them; I think Stephen Stills would've had a more successful career, partly due to less drug abuse, had he never met Floyd Crosby's son.

Dave Armstrong likes this.
  21. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Bump

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Not sure, but I think The Merry-Go-Round may have broken up before their album was even released. You didn't necessarily have to be big to get to Monterey. Big Brother wasn't a known commodity. Quicksilver didn't even have a record deal yet. Captain Beefheart had an invitation, but couldn't play because Ry Cooder left the band due to Don's bizarre behavior.

WilliamWes likes this.
  23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

24. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Anyone here picking up the RSD Monterey Pop release?

25. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Do you have a app on your phone to read .pdf files?

ianuaditis likes this.