50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

"They" was Yoko, and she did care quite a bit, actually. I remember an interview with her around the time the series had begun, she had specifically said she wanted to do something nice for the fans. I don't have the interview handy but I recall that she liked the idea of a radio show because it was like releasing John's music into the air. Yoko continues to get maligned by some people, yet she's put out very respectful vault releases since his passing. Which is more than I could say about Olivia Harrison, who, by comparison, gave the fans of George's music next to nothing over the past 17 years. However, the Harrison Estate is about to re-release a lavish (and expensive) box for The Concert For George, which has no actual George music on it. Oh, but you DO get a piece of the tapestry from the show. :confused:

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You bet it is!! ;)

Sitting in warehouses as we speak.

Beave

alexpop and tinnox like this.
  3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I’m a first gen Fab fan and I bought the White Album day of issue in 1968. It was sprawling, messy, different, weird and magical. I loved it and still do. There are great songs within and I’ve been particularly drawn to the George tunes over the years. But the whole thing is a work of art.

I think the mono and stereo mixes are fine. But I’d be interested in a surround mix if they got someone else to do it than Giles, bless his heart. Or just release all the stems and let fans re mix to their hearts desire. I’d also like to see all the demos remastered and issued officially.

Lastly, I’ve said elsewhere, every year in Portland OR a bunch of NW musicians and artists perform the White Album Christmas. Catch this show if you can as it’s a great undertaking. And hearing the album live, along with a bunch of performance artists and circus people interpreting the music, is just fantastic. And the band rocks out on a few tunes which makes you appreciate the music even more, songs like Savoy Truffle for example really rock in this manner and become incredibly fun dance tunes.

4. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I know Yoko had a major role in it, but wasn't sure if she had to run it by publishers first or if it was solely Yoko's choice. I guess it was her and only her. The series could easily be taped by anyone and that may have allayed their fears of profit-based bootlegging (though the booting was pretty extensive until they started cracking down bigtime in the early 1990s). It certainly was exceedingly generous on her part because unreleased Lennon/Beatles stuff could have literally been worth millions, and at that point in time no true "archival" Beatle music had been released. To hear it, you had to listen to the show. I am glad that Yoko made the decision she did because Lost Lennon gave many many people a lot of enjoyment.

Ooh a piece of tapestry from the show! Yeah that is ultra-lame.

daveidmarx, RonBaker and tinnox like this.
  5. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

The solo sounds like a parody of a good blues solo.. i love the low keyness of johns bit which errs towards extreme understatement while george's bit sounds like extreme overstatement as if neil young were hopping about the stage. Meanwhile the guitars from the basic track can be heard in the background providing a neat and more conventional counterpoint. Ryokhei does a nice job of capturing this in his youtube cover.

Id like to see some form of mogg files included with a reissue. It would seem that the promise of interactive content that accompanied the DVDs introduction has been dropped in the streaming era while blurays with nonlinear content dont seem to be a thing. So id like to see some options where simple listener selected options moght be available allowing limited choices along the lines you're talking about.

Also..i hope you will join me in helping to retire the term 5.1... every receiver box i see nowadays says ATMOS... the latest and greatest dolby product of them all. If we demand it.. show awareness of it .. and encourage releases around it... then maybe we can get some wind beneath the wings of surround along with products that can downmix to 5.1 and 7.2.... so

BEATLES in DOLBY ATMOS from ANALOG converted to DSD 11.1

tinnox likes this.
  6. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Are you saying you would like the mulititracks to be included in this set? That'll never happen. At least until the copyright is about to expire and they have nothing else to release.

tinnox likes this.
  7. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Not that raw multitracks would be released but at this late date with the sort of programs out there like audacity or programs like rock band or ps4 gaming systems... is it not possible that a protocol exists or could be developed which would allow, for example, the two variants of the song "Let it Be" to be released in a digital format and yet from a single file allow the song to be played back as the single mix vs the album mix? Another example would be the song "its only love" presented on anthology in an acoustic only mix vs the released take's electric guitar overdub. Does playback technology allow for a default playback of this kind of content that a user could make a selection on their remote to allow for an alternate version of the content to play back without going to complex menus? I remember seeing a DVD demo disk back just as the format was being rolled out showing a demo video of a train which allowed the user to select from 4 simultaneous camera angles as the video played back. Similarly there was a promise of a functionality in the then under development High Def standard that one day viewers would be able to watch boxing and football and select content, alternate camera angles as the plays occurred.. interactive content accessible in real time... the one thing ive seen is the ability to select multilanguage soundtracks or encoding of soundtracks in both dts and dolby x? What, if anything, is being done in the world of audio on this front?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    maxwell2323 and tinnox like this.
  8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

For the reason you stated, it's a Stones kind of song. Wonder how many don't know it's a satire of late 60's blues?

andrewskyDE, numer9 and tinnox like this.
  9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'd agree although I hate the cover of the remixed Walls & Bridges. Why when the original cover was perfect?

[​IMG]

:wtf:

oboogie and tinnox like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Beatles (aka White Album)
    By all accounts ( lack of fresh info)this Anniversary album looks still to be a winter ie November /December release 2018, nothing new here, but not a summer release. Guess Apple are honoring the original 1968 release date winter schedule.

andrewskyDE, The Beave and tinnox like this.
  11. alexpop

Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary box.
    Just hope TWA 2018 is more durable round the edges of the LP box sized slip cover.

12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Giles is far more than just the producer, he's also someone from the "inner circle" who can handle the majority of the TV and press interviews, meaning Paul and Ringo don't have to, I imagine that's worth its weight in gold to them.

If it happens, Giles will be doing it, that's nailed on.

The Beave and tinnox like this.
  13. alexpop

Well he could oversee it.His father wasn't impressed with the original double album.

tinnox likes this.
  14. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Well....I am with you about the Dolby Atmos big time but I also want 5.1 (or 7.2) as well. And maybe this topic should be it's own thread....but when you are mixing an album for 5.1, and mixing the same album for Dolby Atmos, I would imagine that your intentions or the way you mix the music could have a lot of differences. A Dolby Atmos mixing would make more use of how the channels/speakers are utilized (like Atmos in the movie theater - when a plane goes across the screen, and you hear/feel it through the different speakers).

Or I could just be talking out my rear end here. My audio/tech knowledge is limited.

But hey, I like them both.

tinnox likes this.
  15. alexpop

Not interested in cinema sound myself. Don't forget this is a sixties band.
    Happy with mono/stereo mix with this title.

tinnox likes this.
  16. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Being only into compact discs, my favorite edition of this album is the 35th anniversary reissue. When the so-called “super deluxe“ edition arrives, this time I’ll wait to see what others think of it first. I sincerely hope it does not wind up being the Frankenstein that Giles created with the Pepper 50th anniversary release. The White Album is my favorite release by The Beatles. It’s a strange and very unpredictable album brimming with adventure!

The Beave, Dee Zee and tinnox like this.
  17. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

If the Beatles were Queen and were to release 50th anniversary edition of WA, we would get 2 discs of 2009 remasters, one disc of "White album RAW" - reduced WA with couple songs ommited and fourth disc comprising of songs previously released on Beatles Anthology 3...

tinnox likes this.
  18. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

Thank god they are not Queen

Shaddam IV and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Sorry. Any version of this album that suggests that we SKIP "Revolution 9" is a non contender.

20. alexpop

Best song on side 4.

The Beave and tinnox like this.
  21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Masochism is a treatable condition.:laugh:
    "song"

andrewskyDE and tinnox like this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Really makes me appreciate the instrumentation so much more.
    It is too bad we can't get the clarity of guitars in the original as it is in this Youtube video.

tinnox likes this.
  23. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

Yes, but I'd like Paul's demo version.

tinnox likes this.
  24. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Was there a Beatles version of "Those Were the Days" as well with John singing?

tinnox likes this.
  25. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

John briefly busks the chorus at one point on the “Amsterdam” side of The Wedding Album. I love the way he sings “I thought they’d never end”, gives it a different twist!

RonBaker and tinnox like this.